Another Zvezda Star Destroyer

Dude, that is looking so awesome!! You have my utmost respect at being able to replicate a studio model. I don't have the patience for that. I can't wait to see the final result!
I've had to learn patience with this kit. Given the scale and the disappointment with the Bandai SDII kit's hull warp at the bow, I wanted to make sure that my 'grail kit' does meet my intentions and I know that when I rush things to get them done, I screw it up. Plus then there was the learning curve with fiber and wiring I had to master.

I'll admit, I'm not looking forward to the fibering part. I also don't think I have enough fiber so will have to buy more. Where did you get your fibers from? Ive been buying it from the fiber optic store as its the only place I know of that sells the fiber in cable form, but its not cheap and am looking for a cheaper alternative.

I had bought my fiber from the Fiber Optics Store - but they apparently went out of business recently. Though I did find this link to another business of similar product: Fiber Optic Products, Inc.. Looks to be affordable for less than 10¢ a foot (US 12") I have not ordered anything from them yet so I have no clue as to service and rep.

that's really disappointing news! I just checked out the website and it reads like someone is really sick or something like that. Hope not
Thanks for the heads up - I'll check out that site you gave me.

thanks for the kind post Tym
I haven't touched this in a couple of months as I have been doing other thnigs but once I have finished my current build, I will be going back to this to try get her done. LOL been saying that for the past 2 years and yet here we are

Hi Everyone

Well, its been a few months since I last updated this thread with some progress. I hope some interest is still there - understandable if its waned significantly though. It has been a while

However, over the past couple of weeks, I've recommenced work on it and am happy to report that 99% of the detailing is now done. I still need to add a couple of bits here and there to the upper lip of the side trenches and install some flood lights but overall, it's ready to start drilling out the sidewalls for the fibers. I'm going to paint first then add the fibers as I want as close to the surface mating as possible and I won't be able to do that in these fine recessed spaces if I fiber then paint.

I have sighted a couple of spaces that I missed in that rear left wall so I shall remedy that tonight that you probably wouldn't really notice - but I will

I only took a few pics, so that's it for now. All being well, the next update should be the final floodlights and trench details and I daresay the last time you'll see it with no paint on
As always, thanks for stopping by and having a look and sorry again for the delay in progress

Si

I had some free time this afternoon so I took a picture of the rook panels under the black base coat. Excuse the dust that seems to have settled on all of the pieces. I have no idea when or how it got there but the damp brush will be coming out after I've finished posting to clean them all up before the first splash of grey goes on

Anyways, that's it for now but thanks for stopping in and having a look
Til next time
Si

Hey everyone

Some people have been wondering what kind of approach I'll be taking to painting, so for those who wanted to know, I took a couple of pics which should help answer it. I'm going to spare everyone the boredom of taking shots at every stage and just show you the first one. You'll get the idea from that. Needless to say, the painting process might take longer than first thought.

As this is as exciting as it gets, the next update should see these panels finished - or very close to it. It's going to be a lot of fine masking which I hope actually works. These photos also help me to remember where I placed all the masks.....

As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si

Interested GIF by reactionseditor

Thanks for the supportive posts guys. Im hoping that the finer masking won't be lost which is why I'm experimenting on the roof panels first. If it doesn't work out then I will have saved myself some undue hard work on the body

Well, the experimental masking is done and the results are here. There are some panels which require a paint touch up because - as feared - the paint was too thin for the masks and ran under them in places. Lifted the paint off in others.

Over all though, I am pleased with how its turned out. I'm still debating whether or not to run a very thin filter coat over the whole area to tone down the enhanced panels.

I still have small detail painting, washed and dry brushing yet to go, so the look will change even more but what do you guys think? Should I leave them like they are or run a filter over the top?

51602336065_48b2df14d2_b.jpg

51602103899_a6ddd5f039_b.jpg

51602104459_018063012a_b.jpg

51600625402_cf1431efc3_b.jpg

51602335710_bee58ef31b_b.jpg

51602335865_c35444831a_b.jpg

51602335865_c35444831a_b.jpg

51601450111_bee4eae02a_b.jpg

51602335535_28139f34fc_b.jpg

Those longer roof panels are on back to front, so ignore those and yes, I did see the tape I left behind which has since been removed
default_smile.png

As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

Till next time

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back