Another Zvezda Star Destroyer

yes, that is something I have thought about. I'm going to add a spatter of white lights around the walls which should help break it up a bit
My trench floods are warm white like yours, but the hangar bays and the 'trench bays' I added are in cool white/bluish light. Adding red LEDS for fiber also helps break up the warm white fiber monotony of those thousands upon thousands of window holes throughout the ship.

Thanks mate! How's your one coming along? Havent seen an update from you in a while either

Heh. Mine still lives partially-built in its box. In the closet. Behind a stack of newer kits that I have bought since. :lol:

I'd really like to get back into it...some of my basic building & finishing skills have improved since I started. I guess what I've really been holding out for was for someone to offer up some printed parts on Shapeways, that would finally correct that wonky bridge angle. I even attempted to scratch up a command tower from styrene, but didn't ever finish it, and couldn't afford a resin printer at the time.

Soon, though...

Well mate, I do hope to see more when you find the energy to go back to it. I know how it goes as I've had plenty of breaks on mine too.
I'm hoping that some decal maker will produce some SD panels like they do with the Enterprise and so on but it's unlikely to be seen in my build time unless I do it myself and I have zero graphic design skills - so that's not going to happen. I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way of masking and painting by hand! Yay.

Hi everyone

Thought I would update this while I have some spare time.

Work continues on the sidewalls with only one wall left on the starboard side and only 2.5 left to do on the other

I am pretty happy with how its coming along.

51155334899_c89c13a376_b.jpg

51154552266_54b68cbe53_b.jpg

51153881577_03838e27fd_b.jpg

51154551951_1111276ec9_b.jpg

51154783843_96ac7d43b5_b.jpg

51155335139_50b4ba728f_b.jpg

51155335194_044c1ecaf5_b.jpg

I haven't quite finished the one above but I'm pretty much there

I'll post another update when I have finished the whole side

thanks as always for looking

Si

I had the top on briefly tonight whilst I was marking out where the next load of floodlights were going to go and I added the roof etc just to see how its looking. I am really happy with how it's looking! (just do what I do and look past the current gaps
default_biggrin.png
)

51154361732_0c3b17241e_b.jpg

51155816534_fecc84d731_b.jpg

51155816609_275773e69f_b.jpg

I thought it's looking pretty frickin' cool myself. I just took those 3 pics just then as I thought it looked good enough to share. Never mind the extraordinary orange wall behind. I try to forget it myself

thanks again

Si

Ahhhhhh memories.... I actually almost miss those Greeblie Days that dragged on for months and months and months and months. Of course scouring the internet to find close up shots from the ILM ESB 8 footer and attempting to mimic all the detail was either stupid or brilliant depending on how it ends up turning out after the painting and final assembly. Just wait until you get a couple coats of misted primer on that. You end up staring at all the detail saying to yourself - "that's pretty darn cool".

Hi everyone

Time for an update. I have pretty much finished detailing the sidewalls on the starboard side and now just need to do the port side. Once the all of the detailing is done, I'll drill out the windows and then paint them ready for fiber installation.

I am very happy with how its all come out!

51195703969_2c7610301f_b.jpg

51195994885_0e9ff34ede_b.jpg

51195142753_3a86da68aa_b.jpg

51195995975_a20d5d07f2_b.jpg

51194223957_4c7b2faf63_b.jpg

51195704704_512131c74f_b.jpg

51195704544_4a5ed26f91_b.jpg

51195995420_8bd3cb0ce3_b.jpg

51195143228_3c58660f6a_b.jpg

51195143148_31fe269938_b.jpg

51194223297_22325473cd_b.jpg

Anyways, that's it for now, but I will update again once the other side is finished

Thanks for looking in

Si

Most excellent detailing here :cool: :cool: (y)(y):notworthy::notworthy: Don't mind me if I copy the same look for the interior of my 2001 docking bay.
There's a bunch of trenches inside that will have the same kind of small greeblies. I guess, it's time for me to buy a few battle ships;)

This is looking so fantastic! :cool: :cool: :cool: Sets the detailing bar for this kit insanely high. I need to keep reminding myself I don't need to match or duplicate it ("That's impossible." - Luke) or I'll never start my own kit.

...just an example... wow!... shows what's possible... good enough is still good... wow!... mutter, mutter...

I miss those days of Greebli-ing.

Nowadays it's just tedious mechanical pencil scribing of hull plates - not as enjoyable.

ScribingPanels1.jpg

But then neither was the year and a half of drilling thousands of tiny holes and threading miles of fiber either.

Your efforts are certainly going to pay off when you get that primed and put together. That level of greebs just makes the kit sing when you see it together at that scale.

Most excellent detailing here :cool: :cool: (y)(y):notworthy::notworthy: Don't mind me if I copy the same look for the interior of my 2001 docking bay.
There's a bunch of trenches inside that will have the same kind of small greeblies. I guess, it's time for me to buy a few battle ships;)

No I don't mind at all. Do what I do: buy a couple of different detail sets from Pit-road (1/700 IJN and US equipment) and take molds of some parts you'll use a lot of. Much cheaper in the long term!

This is looking so fantastic! :cool: :cool: :cool: Sets the detailing bar for this kit insanely high. I need to keep reminding myself I don't need to match or duplicate it ("That's impossible." - Luke) or I'll never start my own kit.

...just an example... wow!... shows what's possible... good enough is still good... wow!... mutter, mutter...

LOL! You don't have to go to the detailing lengths I have to get a decent SD. I have probably gone overboard with some if not a lot of the detailing but then I am also making this my own ship and not a replica of a studio model, so I am a bit more free to go crazy.

I miss those days of Greebli-ing.

Nowadays it's just tedious mechanical pencil scribing of hull plates - not as enjoyable.

View attachment 1460240

But then neither was the year and a half of drilling thousands of tiny holes and threading miles of fiber either.

Your efforts are certainly going to pay off when you get that primed and put together. That level of greebs just makes the kit sing when you see it together at that scale.

Dude, that is looking so awesome!! You have my utmost respect at being able to replicate a studio model. I don't have the patience for that. I can't wait to see the final result!
I'll admit, I'm not looking forward to the fibering part. I also don't think I have enough fiber so will have to buy more. Where did you get your fibers from? Ive been buying it from the fiber optic store as its the only place I know of that sells the fiber in cable form, but its not cheap and am looking for a cheaper alternative.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back