Another Zvezda Star Destroyer

Thanks mate
I'm guessing you mean the ship parts? Things like guns I hold with tweezers in one hand and use a razor blade to slice them in half and then sand it down to a thinner profile, The other bits are done in pretty much the same way - razor blade and a file.
Or are you referring to something else and I've completely missed the point?

Actually referring to the scratched panels and parts that aren’t ‘uniform’ in shape like seen your latest ‘nose’ section post . Ones that are built-up over what seems several layers of styrene pieces in constructing a part (not the Resin cast stuff).
Invar’s build has an amazing number of ‘those kind of’ scratched components too.
Simply mind-boggling !;)

Actually referring to the scratched panels and parts that aren’t ‘uniform’ in shape like seen your latest ‘nose’ section post . Ones that are built-up over what seems several layers of styrene pieces in constructing a part (not the Resin cast stuff).
Invar’s build has an amazing number of ‘those kind of’ scratched components too.

There was no other way to approximate the details unless one had the software and equipment to do what Bandai did, and reconstruct the actual tank and battleship model kit pieces for greeblies the ILM guys actually used on the 8 footer, and 3 D print them to glue on this kit. That is a time consuming tedium that makes me more nauseous to think about than the miles and miles of fiber threading I have been stuck in for months now.

There was no other way to approximate the details unless one had the software and equipment to do what Bandai did, and reconstruct the actual tank and battleship model kit pieces for greeblies the ILM guys actually used on the 8 footer, and 3 D print them to glue on this kit. That is a time consuming tedium that makes me more nauseous to think about than the miles and miles of fiber threading I have been stuck in for months now.

These are examples of what I was referring to ; when they involve creating pieces that aren’t just styrene ‘chips’ . I see a lot of time and effort going into making them..., truly incredible patience and work ethic guys !
B09F8F6C-53C3-44D9-AE99-7533002B0FF5.jpeg
09575749-291A-47C2-901E-E39C42177252.jpeg

Hi again

Last update before a short tools down period. I've not really spent as much time on the bench as I thought I would but did still manage some decent progress
The front end is as busy as I want it now. Just need to start filling out areas around the hull. I won't go to crazy as I want to try keep to the grand scale and immensity of the ship.
At the same time, most of this detail will likely be obscured by the paint.

48806881837_5fa23fbdc5_c.jpg

48806880747_2cfc898445_c.jpg

48806739731_f1aba36cce_c.jpg

48806878882_c28e8a528c_c.jpg

48806383443_1a39638f18_c.jpg

48806448753_009df2df25_c.jpg

48806876657_93c110bd25_c.jpg

48806381263_d668230994_c.jpg

48806445663_23a46b2baf_c.jpg

Well, that's it for now but feel free to share any thoughts you may have
Till next time
Si

Hi again

Last update before a short tools down period. I've not really spent as much time on the bench as I thought I would but did still manage some decent progress
The front end is as busy as I want it now. Just need to start filling out areas around the hull. I won't go to crazy as I want to try keep to the grand scale and immensity of the ship.
At the same time, most of this detail will likely be obscured by the paint.

View attachment 1062967

View attachment 1062968

View attachment 1062969

View attachment 1062970

View attachment 1062971

View attachment 1062972

View attachment 1062973

View attachment 1062974

View attachment 1062975

Well, that's it for now but feel free to share any thoughts you may have
Till next time
Si
it's amazing!!! masterpiece!

Hi everyone - happy new year!
default_smile.png
Hope we all managed to get some bench time in. I know I didn't

So I have not long gotten back from holidays and decided it was high time I expended some time into this project. To be honest, I spent a lot of time thinking about this build and the things I could add and by the end of it, was busting to start back onto it.

Also, finally, I have settled on the base layout and how it's going to be displayed. It'll look pretty wicked if I get it right. BTW, does anyone know of a way to bend brass tube to an angle of 90 degrees whilst still maintaining the structural integrity of the tube itself, as in, not collapse in on itself?

So, I got home and promptly got bored of detailing the main body so I decided to move onto something else for a while. In this instance, I chose the top nose piece to play with. Better than my own one right?

Zvezda have created these rather large, blank protrusions from the top surface which just look like blocks. They appear to have no function what so ever. They're just sit there like a zit.

Can't have that, can we now. So, dress it up with some strip shelves, add some various piping and you have something much more interesting. I'll even try to stick in a fiber optic or 2.

There's just some more plates to add then I'll look at the undersides of those edges and add some detail to those as there are woefully lacking. Then it'll be back to the main body and finish that off before moving onto the bottom half.

Anyway, here's where I currently stand:

49344049443_0d90e2034c_c.jpg

49344507646_81a454d2ec_c.jpg

49344059178_441c6b3dbc_c.jpg

49344512326_17a6b1007f_c.jpg

49344727012_f13bcdb939_c.jpg

49344054543_aa8b83d21a_c.jpg

49344718567_15359a79e4_c.jpg

49344500896_fc8ec57c7d_c.jpg

And I just couldn't help myself, and took a pic which it joined up - just to remind myself of how big this ship is of course
default_smile.png

49344722212_7615214675_c.jpg

Well, that's all I have for now, but I will be back in a while once the nose is done.

As always, thanks for sticking around and having a look

Si

Hi everyone - happy new year! View attachment 1244552 Hope we all managed to get some bench time in. I know I didn't

So I have not long gotten back from holidays and decided it was high time I expended some time into this project. To be honest, I spent a lot of time thinking about this build and the things I could add and by the end of it, was busting to start back onto it.

Also, finally, I have settled on the base layout and how it's going to be displayed. It'll look pretty wicked if I get it right. BTW, does anyone know of a way to bend brass tube to an angle of 90 degrees whilst still maintaining the structural integrity of the tube itself, as in, not collapse in on itself?

So, I got home and promptly got bored of detailing the main body so I decided to move onto something else for a while. In this instance, I chose the top nose piece to play with. Better than my own one right?

Zvezda have created these rather large, blank protrusions from the top surface which just look like blocks. They appear to have no function what so ever. They're just sit there like a zit.

Can't have that, can we now. So, dress it up with some strip shelves, add some various piping and you have something much more interesting. I'll even try to stick in a fiber optic or 2.

There's just some more plates to add then I'll look at the undersides of those edges and add some detail to those as there are woefully lacking. Then it'll be back to the main body and finish that off before moving onto the bottom half.

View attachment 1244553

View attachment 1244554

View attachment 1244555

View attachment 1244556

View attachment 1244557

View attachment 1244558

View attachment 1244559

View attachment 1244560

And I just couldn't help myself, and took a pic which it joined up - just to remind myself of how big this ship is of course View attachment 1244561

View attachment 1244562

Well, that's all I have for now, but I will be back in a while once the nose is done.

Si
Hi everyone - happy new year! View attachment 1244552 Hope we all managed to get some bench time in. I know I didn't

View attachment 1244553

View attachment 1244554

View attachment 1244555

View attachment 1244556

View attachment 1244557

View attachment 1244558

View attachment 1244559

View attachment 1244560

And I just couldn't help myself, and took a pic which it joined up - just to remind myself of how big this ship is of course View attachment 1244561

View attachment 1244562

Si

Hey Si, regarding brass tube bending - depending on the diameter of said tube to be bent, I’ve used fine grained sand ( packed & temporarily sealed ) for large tubing, and inserting fibre optic strands of various thicknesses ( cut to a greater length than the tube itself for ease in removal after ) for smaller diameters prior to attempting the bend/s without diminishing the integrity of the tube.

Ged

This is very impressive work. Looks amazing! I was gifted a Bandai SD and have decided to use that to create a better Zvezda. I will be 3D modeling and printing though as my hands aren’t as steady as they used to be. Thanks for driving me off the deep end. If only the Bandai was larger scale! Again, absolutely amazing build,all respect!

Thanks for the suggestions and kind posts guys. Through another forum, I was kindly provided the easiest answer to my issue here:
https://www.amazon.com/LORESO-Bender...a-849814836633
I think this will be one of those tools where I wished I had found out such a thing existed many years ago and henceforth will always be wondering how I did stuff without it.
I just bought one for $30au delivered. That's pretty good in my books.

Nice to see you back at it. The details are amazing!

As for bending the tube, that is on my list now. That tool looks really useful.

Previously I would insert some thinner gauge wire or tube when bending, but of course that ruins the ability to run fibers or wires through it

heck, I only recently got a tube cutter. before I would use a jeweler's saw and then have to file the edge. I couldn't believe I waited so long to get something that made a task so much easier

As I continue to slowly slog through this build, it makes me appreciate the fact that spending a year and a half carving ILM-Accurate greeblies for this kit was actually a lot more fun than the tedium of threading miles of fiber optics through thousands of tiny holes.
View attachment 1244636

Yeah, that's one task I am not relishing the thought of by any stretch. I'm thinking of going the unusual route of painting first then adding the fibers. I just don't gancy having to try get into some of those smaller inset parts with a knife or clipper to trim fibers and not screw up the painting

hi guys
quick update. I've finished with the top side of the nose section for now and won't be adding any more surface detail to it until it's joined to the rear section.
I'll be moving on the the main superstructure sidewalls and finish those off plus the roof sections and then add the last of the surface detail to the right side.

Sorry for worktop pictures, but I couldn't be bothered getting out the photo tent tonight - too much effort

49413611121_9a53a69d2a_c.jpg

49413136153_cd07f5ddbb_c.jpg

49413619561_b4de661998_c.jpg

49413811037_596a8e4c28_c.jpg

49413142173_80db8a4e6d_c.jpg

49413812152_541dcd0480_c.jpg

49413616866_46bf8ff4c4_c.jpg

49413144968_b7cac05a6c_c.jpg

It's current rest place:

49413612281_572b8b5656_c.jpg

Well, that's it for now but as always, thanks for stopping in and having a look
Till next time
Si

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back