Unlimited Run Another TLJ Stormtrooper helmet? Close to screen used prop. At least I try :-)

Hey Dino,

Helmet looks great! Looks spot on! Very interested.

What material will the helmet kits be made of?

Is the kit complete with the lens formed and mic tip.

Can I get a total cost for a helmet kit shipped to me in the UK (pre adding the 19% VAT)

Cheers

Bryan

Hey Bryan,

thanks for your interest! The kit will be made out of resin. The Insert will probably cast in black resin, so that no paint is needed on this part. Kit is complete with vac formed lenses and greeblies.

For ordering details, please PM me :)

Hey all!
It has been very silent here but some stuff happened.
I shipped the helmet to Luke for mold prepping. The original plan was, that I fly over to him and mold the project with him. Basically because he is a wizard in prop making and I wanted to look over his shoulders so to say. Unfortunately that didnt happen but still Luke prepped the helmet and closed the face front. Thanks buddy !!

2 days ago I got the helmet back and immediately started on some mods. As pointed out earlier, the vent slots on the sides were too small. Dan compared the helmet with the Gentle Giant helmet. Mine were 9mm in length, the Gentle Giant 12mm. So I decided to make them a little bigger.

I opened the slots from the inside to make sanding easier with a file. The results are pretty good imho :)

I measured all slots and drew lines for reference.
5DxE40x.jpg

5yhUDp5.jpg

Result:
UroPsgH.jpg

IpwW2tB.jpg

I will sand down a little more material from the inside, because right now, the slots are too deep imho and it may affect the lifespan of the mold, if the slots are too deep.

Also I will make the slots for the clip greeblies a little bigger. Molding is definetly planned for the next weekend. :)

All the best
Dino

Hey guys,

small update here. I managed to mold the insert piece. My buddy polished the nose plate and helmet to perfection. We did not manage to mold the helmet itself. I found out that the area for the clip greeblies are 1 or 2 mm to small. Therefore I will mod these parts this week.

I dont know if its possible to post videos here. This is my facebook page with the video update post.

We are very close and I appreciate the patience of everyone, who pre ordered this helmet. I want to make everything as accurate and perfect as possible to make everyone happy :)

Update time!
We are close!
Actually so close, that I plan to cast the first kits next week.
Today I did the first half of the helmet mold. Insert piece and nose plate are already molded :)

dOYzGuY.jpg

All the best,
Dino

Moldmaking done :)
I will cast the first helmet tomorrow. I need some practice to make the black insert piece, though. I just made one, the mesh itself came out perfect but it was a mess lol
I still expect to ship the first kits out next week :)

pw1F6YQ.jpg

I made the first cast yesterday but unfortunately the mothermold broke into pieces. I dont know why, I ordered new material and will do the new support shell on Tuesday / Wednesday. However this is the first cast.
I still wait for the lenses, so I will preparing the first kits and will assemble the first as my own to show the final prop as well :)

6LsS1Lq.jpg

Hey guys.
So the new support shell works and is rotating in the rotocaster.

New problem occured. The noseplate support shell broke as well -.-
Im going to order new silicone today and will simply to a block mold and injection mold the noseplate.
I did that with the old mold and it was completly bubble free. So yea.. again a little step backwards but we are still close. :)

Very nice work so far on the helmet.

I use Free Form as a jacket material pretty frequently and have some tips if you are interested. The reason your support shell failed is because you undercut the model. Free Form on its own does not have great shear strength so any torque applied will easily snap it. On the next mold, I would recommend splitting the mother mold into at least three pieces; two sides, front to back would be standard but side to side is fine, and then one piece for the bottom. You would remove the bottom first, and then the sides.

The nose piece, a simple split down the middle would have sufficed but it is not ideal to open slush cast this part. This is due to the thin and high sides. You’ll definitely want to inject it.

Hope this helps somewhat Dino. Best of luck with your project, can’t wait to see the finished results!

Hey guys
So I just finished the new nose mold and injection molding works perfectly on that part now.
I just need to modify the mold for the insert piece, then everything is done on my end.
Next week I will get a lens for fitting. If that fits, I will get more lenses and will ship the kits out.
That being said, I will cast more helmets this weekend to have them in hand.

Apologies that this project takes longer than expected.

All the best
Dino

Words cannot decribe how excited I am!
After many setbacks, a lot of frustration, it is finally working!
This is my personal cast with a test insert piece that I just did after I modified the mold

Next week, I expect to get a lens test. If that fits, shipping out kits will follow immediately

I learned a lot during this project, made (expensive) mistakes (note to myself: When Luke says "it will not work" , it will not work) but as always, the result matters in the end
1f642.png

I want to thank Sni9er for the constant support, Mr Mold Maker for giving tips as well and all the supporters who helped, bringing this project to life! :)

WEA0AgZ.jpg

Its done :)

Kit:

FiBmTvN.jpg

sfimye9.jpg

How it looks roughly assembled (not painted)

gRCpDIF.jpg

xvdE1Rq.jpg

JLGW0wj.jpg

Pre Orders will ship out next week, as I am waiting on the first batch of lenses.

To place an order click the link below, where we will collect your information, when we are ready we will raise a PayPal Invoice and get your order underway!

www.bit.ly/TLJStormtrooper

All the best,

Dino

I do still want one, i'd just have to save a bit as i'm out of pocket from another run not delivered on.
I'd probably end up getting a b grade kit.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back