1. Welcome to the Project Runs Forum!

This forum is intended for interest gauging and active runs. Due to the transient nature of this forum, please keep all research and ongoing discussion in one of our main forums so your information is not lost.

Only Premium Members can start a new run.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Interest Another TLJ Stormtrooper helmet? Close to screen used prop. At least I try :-)

Discussion in 'Project Runs' started by Sano, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Sano

Sano Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good evening fellow builders :)

I want to share my newest project. I really love the TLJ Stormtrooper look and wanted to create my own version.
    But due to the fact that there are literally so many out there I thought about what I can add to make it more unique.

I thought about making it a 3 piece helmet. Main helmet, black insert, and nose plate ( + additional greeblies)

This would also result in very sharp lines between the white and black.

I got the model from Die 3D Schmiede today and want to share some pictures. :)

NY9AO6g.png

ACYMiZp.png

PLA Print:
    LbrFu5N.jpg

The PLA print is a prototype only since it would take months to sand everything very nice and smooth. So I decided to go the more expensive way and get the helmet SLA printed. I am offering 10 Pre - Order spots for 175 Euro + PP Fees to cover the costs a bit. Normally I don't like taking peoples money upfront, so I will pay it out of my pocket if there are not enough pre-orders but you'd support the artist making it happen as soon as possible. :) Shipping will be collected once the kits are available and ready to ship. Finished helmet options will be available then as well.

#1:
    #2:
    #3:
    #4:
    #5:
    #6:
    #7:
    #8:
    #9:
    #10:

All the best
    Dino

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Crookknight, Al May and starwrslover like this.
  2. badges2nz

badges2nz Active Member

Very nice, looks like it will be very sharp model indeed.

3. blastmaster

blastmaster Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!!

4. dday

dday Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can confirm you will have a very hard time finding a better model for the TLJ helmet.

Resin cast in the end, and really nice details, and a painting dream! Haha, most are super hard to paint due to the masking in the mouth and tamples. Sano knows this as he has painted enough of mine.

Phoenix Props approved! :D

5. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Very interested, keep it up :cool

6. Sano

First post updated, I decided to open a pre-ordering. Normally I dont like taking peoples money upfront, but due to the very expensive SLA prints, it would help a lot. I promise everyone who pre orders, will get a great kit, or if wanted, a finished helmet.

The PLA prototype is proportionwise perfectly, here are 2 more pictures :)

o89m6vs.jpg
    HXuRmyF.jpg

badges2nz likes this.
  7. badges2nz

badges2nz Active Member

Would this kit come with the lenses, plus at the moment I would have to save for this one as at the moment I'm a bit out of pocket.
    How long would this take to finish and also how much for international shipping.

Sano likes this.
  8. Sano

Thanks for your interest! Yes, lenses will be included. Basically the main helmet, the black insert, the nose, 4x greeblies, the mictip and lenses. Shipping depends where you are located at. To the US its about 40 Euro (incl packaging). Within the EU its 20 Euro (incl. packaging)
    Hope that helps :)

9. kev1969

kev1969 Well-Known Member

Oooh.. looking great, interested in the final product.

10. blastmaster

blastmaster Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks Great!

11. badges2nz

badges2nz Active Member

Hey thank you for posting back, I'm in New Zealand so shipping may be a bit more, I'll seriously have to think about this it just depends on how things turn out on the other thread, thanks.

12. fraktilfilth

fraktilfilth New Member

Looking great, will seriously consider this

13. Sano

I had the opportunity to give R2Dan the prototype to compare it with his Anovos TFA and Sideshow TLJ helmet. It seems that my helmet is slightly bigger but proportionwise it is pretty good default_smile.png

KdWweej.jpg

1H8Stbq.jpg

fn0MQH6.jpg

All the best

Dino

badges2nz and fraktilfilth like this.
  14. Crookknight

Crookknight Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice.

15. badges2nz

badges2nz Active Member

It'll be great to see this as a finished piece.

16. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Would be nicer if the helmet was accurate proportions, instead of slightly bigger.

17. Sano

Hey guys,

the resin print started and I hope to get it this month.

JKInwGY.png

This is also an information for the pre ordering. I totally understand that you want to wait until the final casts are done. Though I want to say, that I have to add 19% VAT on my stuff (at least for people within the EU). Again, its totally up to you, the resin master is paid but I thought that its a good idea to mention the VAT stuff. I hate it but Germany wants to cash as well. :-/

All the best

Dino

18. Sano

The SLA master is done and just needs to get shipped to me :)

A7hMwZb.jpg

19. Sano

Not. Hyped. At. All!

They shipped the helmet on Thursday or Friday and it just got delivered!!! oO Thats service!

Just a little clean up work and then its ready for molding!

pxRKKY8.jpg

hSmmPxt.jpg

Remember that I have to add 19% VAT from the beginning of next year for all european customers. If you want to pre order, now is the time! :-D

badges2nz, fraktilfilth and Shimo like this.
  20. trooper1975

trooper1975 Member

Hey Dino,

Helmet looks great! Looks spot on! Very interested.

What material will the helmet kits be made of?

Is the kit complete with the lens formed and mic tip.

Can I get a total cost for a helmet kit shipped to me in the UK (pre adding the 19% VAT)

Cheers

Bryan

21. Sano

Hey Bryan,

thanks for your interest! The kit will be made out of resin. The Insert will probably cast in black resin, so that no paint is needed on this part. Kit is complete with vac formed lenses and greeblies.

For ordering details, please PM me :)

fraktilfilth likes this.
  22. badges2nz

badges2nz Active Member

Very nice once it’s put together, looks like a nice sharp helmet.

Sano likes this.
  23. Sano

Hey all!
    It has been very silent here but some stuff happened.
    I shipped the helmet to Luke for mold prepping. The original plan was, that I fly over to him and mold the project with him. Basically because he is a wizard in prop making and I wanted to look over his shoulders so to say. Unfortunately that didnt happen but still Luke prepped the helmet and closed the face front. Thanks buddy !!

2 days ago I got the helmet back and immediately started on some mods. As pointed out earlier, the vent slots on the sides were too small. Dan compared the helmet with the Gentle Giant helmet. Mine were 9mm in length, the Gentle Giant 12mm. So I decided to make them a little bigger.

I opened the slots from the inside to make sanding easier with a file. The results are pretty good imho :)

I measured all slots and drew lines for reference.
    5DxE40x.jpg
    5yhUDp5.jpg

Result:
    UroPsgH.jpg
    IpwW2tB.jpg

I will sand down a little more material from the inside, because right now, the slots are too deep imho and it may affect the lifespan of the mold, if the slots are too deep.

Also I will make the slots for the clip greeblies a little bigger. Molding is definetly planned for the next weekend. :)

All the best
    Dino

24. Sano

Hey guys,

small update here. I managed to mold the insert piece. My buddy polished the nose plate and helmet to perfection. We did not manage to mold the helmet itself. I found out that the area for the clip greeblies are 1 or 2 mm to small. Therefore I will mod these parts this week.

I dont know if its possible to post videos here. This is my facebook page with the video update post.

We are very close and I appreciate the patience of everyone, who pre ordered this helmet. I want to make everything as accurate and perfect as possible to make everyone happy :)

trooper1975, Shimo and badges2nz like this.