another Spinner . 6th scale. printed

This is the second video I wanted to post of the "post" next to the monitor in the Spinner cockpit and I thought I'd show the versatility of "addressable LEDs" (NeoPixels) of closely mimicking the effect from the film, yes, it can always get better...... This will most likely be my last video until I move, when ever that will be.....:rolleyes:

This is the second video I wanted to post of the "post" next to the monitor in the Spinner cockpit and I thought I'd show the versatility of "addressable LEDs" (NeoPixels) of closely mimicking the effect from the film, yes, it can always get better...... This will most likely be my last video until I move, when ever that will be.....:rolleyes:

Yeah, those turned out way better than I thought they would. Very organic-looking, and only takes a few minutes to make a pattern.

Wow, great job on the Spinner. 1/6 scale is the perfect size for Hot Toys. Glad you started with a CAD program like SolidWorks, wish I was that good with the program. Like to start a build at that scale but it would take years to catch up to where you're at. I hope you start a run or share STL's for print. All in

fantastic as usual. I'm fascinated as to how you wire up the pixels. I'm new to the struggle of wearing glasses. I'm lucky that I made it to 50 before giving in to the daily challenge of wondering where I left them. Do you take the pixels from a strip or get them individually? either way a soldering miracle.

Wow, great job on the Spinner. 1/6 scale is the perfect size for Hot Toys. Glad you started with a CAD program like SolidWorks, wish I was that good with the program. Like to start a build at that scale but it would take years to catch up to where you're at. I hope you start a run or share STL's for print. All in
thank you for your kind words. This project has taken way longer than anything I've ever done simply because one day I thought it would be great idea to make more than one to give to friends. I've had all the parts to just put it together paint and walk away for years now but the molding prosses is expensive and if you want to do a good job tedious. I have to walk away every now and then and do something quick just for my sanity.
I made a Hal 9000 just to see what it was like to make multiples of one project and it just made me respect the people who make kits more.
I hated it and wanted it to end. As a hobby I want it to be fun not like work. ( the irony is I design space ships for a living?)

I've been using CAD since Batman Begins on of my jobs was the afterburner on the tumbler. I'd made one in aluminum but new it needed to be in stainless steel to survive the heat but as you know we made several tumblers and I hate machining stainless. So thinking I could get the parts laser cut as a kit it would speed up the proses. In order to do this, I had to draw the parts, I got a copy of auto desks inventor and sat in a room for a week pushing buttons and scratching my head teaching my self ( no youtube lessons back then) it was hard but gave me the bug. What I'm saying here is today anyone can download Fusion 360 for free and there are thousands of lessons out there CAD has never been so easy to lean. even if you only use it for sketching ideas. I have had Solidworks since Dark Knight and it's great but I still use Fusion 360 for CAM work it a fantastic program that in many ways is better than Solidworks.
don't knock your self have a go.
I won't be releasing files ( at least not for free) I made that mistake years ago. there's nothing quite so heartbreaking as seeing your work sold on Etsy by other people claiming it there's. So I no longer give away files.

I think a lot of people fear CAD? I designed for years before learning it absolutely fine and could today but given the choice,
8999.jpg
8996.jpg
DSC00143.JPG
I wouldn't go back

fantastic as usual. I'm fascinated as to how you wire up the pixels. I'm new to the struggle of wearing glasses. I'm lucky that I made it to 50 before giving in to the daily challenge of wondering where I left them. Do you take the pixels from a strip or get them individually? either way a soldering miracle.

Thank you very much for the kind words, I do most of my work under a stereoscopic microscope, just easier that way. I buy my LEDs in bulk, the addressable LEDs (NeoPixels) I bought 1000 pcs. spools for both the 5mm and the 2.7mm, far better price that way.....;)

thank you for your kind words. This project has taken way longer than anything I've ever done simply because one day I thought it would be great idea to make more than one to give to friends. I've had all the parts to just put it together paint and walk away for years now but the molding prosses is expensive and if you want to do a good job tedious. I have to walk away every now and then and do something quick just for my sanity.
I made a Hal 9000 just to see what it was like to make multiples of one project and it just made me respect the people who make kits more.
I hated it and wanted it to end. As a hobby I want it to be fun not like work. ( the irony is I design space ships for a living?)

I've been using CAD since Batman Begins on of my jobs was the afterburner on the tumbler. I'd made one in aluminum but new it needed to be in stainless steel to survive the heat but as you know we made several tumblers and I hate machining stainless. So thinking I could get the parts laser cut as a kit it would speed up the proses. In order to do this, I had to draw the parts, I got a copy of auto desks inventor and sat in a room for a week pushing buttons and scratching my head teaching my self ( no youtube lessons back then) it was hard but gave me the bug. What I'm saying here is today anyone can download Fusion 360 for free and there are thousands of lessons out there CAD has never been so easy to lean. even if you only use it for sketching ideas. I have had Solidworks since Dark Knight and it's great but I still use Fusion 360 for CAM work it a fantastic program that in many ways is better than Solidworks.
I won't be releasing files ( at least not for free) I made that mistake years ago. there's nothing quite so heartbreaking as seeing your work sold on Etsy by other people claiming it there's. So I no longer give away files.

I think a lot of people fear CAD? I designed for years before learning it absolutely fine and could today but given the choice,View attachment 1294767View attachment 1294768View attachment 1294769 I wouldn't go back

That is some very serious work, defiantly a pro....

I think a lot of people fear CAD? I designed for years before learning it absolutely fine and could today but given the choice,View attachment 1294767View attachment 1294768View attachment 1294769 I wouldn't go back
Yes, totally agree with you. After a couple of decades of modelmaking in the Stop Motion Animation realm, CAD has helped solidify concept to the real dimensions instead of units pushed or pulled and not really knowing where it's going to go. Luckily I was one of the early adopters of Fusion360 and love using it but also like Solidworks because of the connection to the manufacturing industry. Right now, I'm using Fusion360 to build retractable landing gear for a 1/6 scale X-Wing Build and just finished full blueprints of Gizmo from My Science Project.
1588649457787.png

"Validation my dear Watson, Validation"
Anything to perpetuate the vision of Syd Mead, I'm all in.

Yes, totally agree with you. After a couple of decades of modelmaking in the Stop Motion Animation realm, CAD has helped solidify concept to the real dimensions instead of units pushed or pulled and not really knowing where it's going to go. Luckily I was one of the early adopters of Fusion360 and love using it but also like Solidworks because of the connection to the manufacturing industry. Right now, I'm using Fusion360 to build retractable landing gear for a 1/6 scale X-Wing Build and just finished full blueprints of Gizmo from My Science Project.View attachment 1295117
"Validation my dear Watson, Validation"
Anything to perpetuate the vision of Syd Mead, I'm all in.
I wish more concept people thought about dimensions , I could tell you some stories. (oh wait NDAs I can't)

Has the spinner benn finished yet ?
Not wanting to spend the money until I have an idea when we are going back to work. There has been a lot of talk but so far not in practice.
So I'm concentrating on projects that don't need large sum's of money spent on them. All the mold box's are made, all the parts have been made for a long time and its sitting next to my desk so not forgotten.
IMG_2064.JPG

The neopixel animation looks great! Did you go for simple on/off lighting? Or do you have a bright light bracketed by dimmer ones? Can’t quite tell in the video.

The neopixel animation looks great! Did you go for simple on/off lighting? Or do you have a bright light bracketed by dimmer ones? Can’t quite tell in the video.
Thank you very much for the kind comment..... What you see in the last video is a line by line responce of a "bmp", bitmap, drawn in Gimp and saved in "C" and imported into Arduino and controled with a Teensy LC, for larger image files greater then 24x575, I would use a Teensy 4.0 with more memory. For now gray scale affects the color of the NeoPixels. After my move I will sit down and figure out what is happening. I'm sure it's just a case of saving the file without color information.....

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back