Another Robocop Build

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello!

In order to not shanghai another thread that I've been active in, I'm going to do some documentation of my own Robocop Build in here =)

I have splurged on two separate models, and done some modelling myself.

The original 3d model I purchased had a lot of things that needed changing, so I redesigned some parts, like the neck, the helmet, the biceps...

robo-1024x844.jpg

But the work I've done today is the midsection, the abs.
I've decided to go with building this out of EVA foam, glued with contact cement on a lycra undersuit.

So, I've started working on my EVA foam midsection. I've used a lycra undersuit (got 4 of them) to try and do some glue tests on, and foam sticks well with contact cement!

After trying to remove all glue tests, I started a proper attempt.

First off, I used masking tape to create a template that I then removed, flattened and cut out.

As the mid section is made of horisontal strips, that's how I decided to build it. In strips.

Here's the right section left on the lycra suit on the dummy after I removed the left part and cut out..
IMG_1818.jpg

... and cut out the individual strips and mounted them to papers which I photocopied (since I didn't have the computer with me in the workshop today)
IMG_1819.jpg

Then I built a mid section for the chest and started attaching the "ribs" as I started seeing them as from the top down..
IMG_1820.jpg

The ribs will all be glued down one at the time to the Lycra undersuit.
There is still more work to do on these finished ribs. Some sanding and possibly dremel work to smooth everything out before finally heat sealing the foam with a heat gun (which will also make the ribs more pronounced) and painting it with plasti-dip.

A quick test with the torso looks promising, I think:
IMG_1822.jpg

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

davewhite152

I'm building using the same files as Chris Bosh and like you want to make the torso flexible. I like the idea of Eva foam but the cod piece looks a bit tricky. I am wary of the cost of making it in pla and then casting it as I am on a budget. I will be following this!

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm building using the same files as Chris Bosh and like you want to make the torso flexible. I like the idea of Eva foam but the cod piece looks a bit tricky. I am wary of the cost of making it in pla and then casting it as I am on a budget. I will be following this!
I've printed most of the old suit that Chris did as well, and when I saw he found a new, better one, I started reprinting some of the trickier parts.

The cod piece is not all that complex. With layering of foam, it will work fine.

I have contemplated making the main front part attached by magnets, so it allows me to remove it... and install a small strategic zipper on the undersuit. We'll see, haven't decided yet.

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress of this.

I have made enough to test the results with plasti-dip, so I will do some sanding and painting later on today and see how it pans out.

joberg

Master Member
Looking good askernas! Before painting, are you going to seal the foam or plasti-dip it right away? I'm asking, because I've never worked with foam and plasti-dip before. I always sealed my foam with white glue, prior to paint it ;)

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Looking good askernas! Before painting, are you going to seal the foam or plasti-dip it right away? I'm asking, because I've never worked with foam and plasti-dip before. I always sealed my foam with white glue, prior to paint it ;)

Well, the plasti-dip works really well as a sealer...

My plan is to first heat seal the foam with a heat gun, then spray plasti-dip right on it.

This one is only a test piece, so I'll do a few more ribs and give it a try accordingly in a day or so.
The lycra undersuit have had things glued to it before, so at the moment, it's all testing at this point before moving on to the "hero" undersuit =)

davewhite152

Well, the plasti-dip works really well as a sealer...

My plan is to first heat seal the foam with a heat gun, then spray plasti-dip right on it.

This one is only a test piece, so I'll do a few more ribs and give it a try accordingly in a day or so.
The lycra undersuit have had things glued to it before, so at the moment, it's all testing at this point before moving on to the "hero" undersuit =)
Really looking forward to how this turns out

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok, this is just a quick and dirty test of EVA foam + plast-dip for the torso.

I did not do a solid good glue down job on this, as it is only a test.
I did not sand the foam and make everything 100% because of proof of concept.
The only sealing of the foam done is that I went over it once with a heat gun. Could probably have gone a bit harder with it.

Finally, I did not do a good solid paint job. Just two medium layers of plasti-dip with some hair dryer inbetween to cure it.

The results?

Considering the minimal time spent on this POC...

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

I am blown away by this.

The torso moves, is definitely flexible and I grabbed a corner of the 2mm foam I lied down in the middle that I hadn't glued, and I could lift my cloth-filled duck-tape dummy in it, so it definitely sticks to the lycra!

With a proper glue-down and letting everything set as it should, this foam is going nowhere.

Next up is finishing up the proper pattern to get all the lines straight and conformed around my body, then cut out and glue down on the "hero" undersuit. This was mostly just eyeballed to see if it was a viable solution.

The chest piece will be reprinted with a much more screen accurate version as well, even though I've done a few minor tweaks to this one, but first I've got to wait for this 100+ hour print on my large machine to finish...

Hopefully I've got some more abs section done properly after the weekend.

davewhite152

Ok, this is just a quick and dirty test of EVA foam + plast-dip for the torso.

I did not do a solid good glue down job on this, as it is only a test.
I did not sand the foam and make everything 100% because of proof of concept.
The only sealing of the foam done is that I went over it once with a heat gun. Could probably have gone a bit harder with it.

Finally, I did not do a good solid paint job. Just two medium layers of plasti-dip with some hair dryer inbetween to cure it.

The results?

Considering the minimal time spent on this POC...

View attachment 1449555

View attachment 1449556

View attachment 1449558

I am blown away by this.

The torso moves, is definitely flexible and I grabbed a corner of the 2mm foam I lied down in the middle that I hadn't glued, and I could lift my cloth-filled duck-tape dummy in it, so it definitely sticks to the lycra!

With a proper glue-down and letting everything set as it should, this foam is going nowhere.

Next up is finishing up the proper pattern to get all the lines straight and conformed around my body, then cut out and glue down on the "hero" undersuit. This was mostly just eyeballed to see if it was a viable solution.

The chest piece will be reprinted with a much more screen accurate version as well, even though I've done a few minor tweaks to this one, but first I've got to wait for this 100+ hour print on my large machine to finish...

Hopefully I've got some more abs section done properly after the weekend.
Looks good. If I can cut and shape the foam nicely then I'll do the same rather than print the torso and mold it

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Looks good. If I can cut and shape the foam nicely then I'll do the same rather than print the torso and mold it
Thanks. It is a lot easier to work with than you'd think. Just keep a sharp knife to get good cuts. Take your time and sandpaper works great.

I have bought several thicknesses and for the back, I will do a lot of layering with 2mm foam. I have a vinyl cutter I might use, and in workst case, my makerspace has a laser cutter, so, might go for that in the end.

As far as some of the details you were worried about.. well... tiny details I might still 3D print and glue into the foam. Best tool for best use ;)

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
One of my feet from the old 3d model that I've finished. Second one is not far behind.

I built them around a very comfortable plastic slippers. Since they basically are a shell, I can switch the shoes out for something else if I need to, but it is not a lot of room inside.

I will also change out those bolts to button head socket screws, as I think they are more screen accurate, but at the time, I was all out of them.

The plan is also to add a microswitch into the feet to trigger sound effects when I walk.

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

joberg

Master Member
Most excellent mock-up (y) You`re right; with the proper seal treatment and sanding, spraying, it`ll be ready to wear. Are you planning a satin look or a high gloss? Also, stress-wise: did you fold, creased the foam to see how the Plasti-Dip reacts?

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Most excellent mock-up (y) You`re right; with the proper seal treatment and sanding, spraying, it`ll be ready to wear. Are you planning a satin look or a high gloss? Also, stress-wise: did you fold, creased the foam to see how the Plasti-Dip reacts?
Yes. The plasti-dip follows the foam very well. It is highly bonded to it.
I will make an abuse video tomorrow :)

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
More torso work:
34AFE66B-1F6B-4A26-96CD-CE502B826D77.jpeg

this is still RAW foam. This will be sealed, possibly with Flexibond and the coated with plasti-dip.

Here’s the quick abuse video on plasti-dip on foam:

Today also marked the final touches on this guy:
faxen pack.jpg
, so not I can fully focus on getting Robo done. I am still not sure how much of the old files I will reprint. The calves are on the printer already and should be ready in 30 or so hours:

I have printed this in 0.2, and I know I could have gone with bigger layer height, but the thicker lines, the more stuff to fix afterwards. I prefer letting the printer do most of the work, thank you.
IMG_1851.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.