Another Robocop Build

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

joberg

Master Member
You're right about the paint; it will reveal (or hide) some of the problem areas. Keep up the great work, you're getting there(y)(y):cool::cool:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A lot of progress today on the suit.

I started with sanding the back piece and attached some of the greeblies and tested the bolt size

back sanded.jpeg

I then painted the back with filler primer to see what else is needed.
back filler primed.jpeg

So far so good.
I treated some of the printed parts with UV-resin and went outside in the sun to do some serious sanding. I changed to another resin in hopes that it would be easier to sand. It wasn't. It was in fact a LOT tougher, so it will be perfect for reinforcing some parts, but when it domes to smoothing for sanding, I won't be using this one again.

Here's a few pictures of the elbow insert. One sanded, one soon-to-be sanded. (It's been sanded since)
elbow insert 1.jpeg

elbow insert 2.jpeg

These will be painted glossy black and fills out most of the inside elbow and looks fantastic. I really like this version of the armor.

Something I haven't done is collect all parts and snap a pic, so: here goes: The current state of my build:
Robo full suit.jpeg

frog perspective.jpeg

upper half.jpeg

Thighs.jpeg

A few more things that needs cleaning up here and there, but so far it looks decent.
helmet side.jpeg

The neck piece is of my own design.
helmet back.jpeg

And here is finally the back piece after the filler primer has dried. It shows a few small spots that I need to fill, as expected. Last job today was to wet sand the back because I had 15 minutes to spare and make a small resin piece to go in the square on the back.
back filler primer.jpeg

A few more days like today and I am soon at the paint stage!

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Time for another update.

Updates are not as frequent right now as we're in high summer in Sweden, and the weather is gorgeous. Normally I usually say "Oh i LOVE Swedish summer. It's my favourite day of the year!", but this time around, we've had decent temperatures and sun for quite a long time now, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Anyway, this update is mostly about elbow hinges, as I promised on Chris's Robocop thread ;)
I've made one bracket in the past to test the ideas, and since it was working, I made two new ones just for this entry:

I am using just normal aluminium bars. Sawing these off at a good distance:
IMG_2260.jpg

Then I need to bend them slightly, to make the bracket be on the same outside profile as the biceps.

I did this with a vice, hammer and screw driver.

IMG_2261.jpg

Then drilled holes in them, and the brackets are mostly done.

IMG_2262.jpg

I've hot glued them in place for now, as I love the fact that even on a raw 3d print, hot glue can be peeled away instantly with just a drop or two of isopropanol. This makes hot glue a very solid temporary solution. When I'm approaching final assembly (I still have some body work on the biceps to do), I will fix these with two part epoxy.

I will most likely drill a few holes in the metal bars portruding inside the biceps to give more for the glue to grab on to, but for this hot glue test fit, I just sanded the bracket with some coarse sanding paper.

In order to make these fit and be parallell, I made a small distance plate ouf of a scrap piece of styrene.

IMG_2271.jpg

This is to ensure that the brackets are level with each other.

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

The elbow joint has gome through some changes from Darthasen's files. I have made the pit where the hinge is slightly deeper, and I've also enlarged the hole to 8mm diameter. The total thickness of the material here is 4.5 mm.

IMG_2264.jpg
One could go with chicago screws and not do these modifications, but I figured that a small 5mm shaft could easily dig through a 3d printed surface, and I wanted something more sturdy that would last.

The 8mm holes are perfect for small m4 distances. These are 5mm in length and are press fit inside. These are made out of delrin and very sturdy.
IMG_2265.jpg

To give a clear idea ow what's going on, here's the planned assembly:

socket nut bolt, 14mm (I only had 16mm at home), a large washer on the outside. Then through the delrin distance that sits in the arm, another washer on the inside, the metal bracket, a third wasker and finally a lock nut, that is closed until the joint locks and just released a tiny bit after that to make it rotate smoothly, but also sit tight.

IMG_2266.jpg

The foot print on the outside is small:

IMG_2267.jpg

This will be covered by a custom made plate later on. The screw will need to be sanded down just a hair in order for this to fit perfectly in the end.
IMG_2274.jpg

This hangs and swings freely, but is still sturdy.

It is a bit too intrusive if I want to use the elbow inserts (Which I might make out of flexible materials as the biceps can't close with them properly anyway), but should I want to use them, I will need to go down to an 10mm m4 button head bolt only use the washer on the outside. This makes everything just fit.

IMG_2269.jpg

With everything in place, the only thing that remains is to test the arm..

IMG_2281.jpg

Without the hard 3d printed insert, I can bend my elbow at 90 degrees without issues.

With the insert, however, movement is a lot more restricted. I have cut away part of it already, but I think I need to carve out more or less everything visible and build that in flexible materials on the undersuit, as per the original suit.
IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

Finally, a small pic showing how it will look with a quickly printed cap on top of the bolt. Please excuse the print quality on this one. I was pressed for time and had to reduce top layers and increase speed to have time enough to print one to include in this post.

IMG_2286.jpg

As a final note, I have picked up doing the glove. The plan is to make it out of flexible resin, and to keep costs down, I have drawn the fingers from scratch to make the walls thinner, and thus make them more flexible.

In the end, these will be 3d printed in flexible resin, if that works well, if not, TPU, and then hot glued onto a pair of rubber coated gardening gloves, and the entire glove will be coated with several layers of plasti-dip.

Here's a quick image of the finger I've spent the past two nights designing in CAD:

screenshot1.png
screenshot2.png

I apologize for ending this post with giving you the... ... ;)

Last edited:

joberg

Master Member
Great update...loved what you did with the bolt and the attachment parts. Since it's the summer over there, you'll have plenty of light to continue building into the "night" :p (y) (y) I remember my trip to Höllviken...dark "blue" skies until 1AM:eek:o_O

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Great update...loved what you did with the bolt and the attachment parts. Since it's the summer over there, you'll have plenty of light to continue building into the "night" :p (y) (y) I remember my trip to Höllviken...dark "blue" skies until 1AM:eek:o_O
Yeah.. well.. in theory.
"Unfortunately" there is my fiancée who also has vacation, like me and has this strange idea that we should be "spending time together".

I guess that is the new hidden fourth directive that overrides the rest =p

With any luck I'll be doing some test print of a finger in flexible resin tomorrow for the glove, to prepare for the arrival of the new printer that should be able to print most of the glove in one go ;)

About light.. yeah.. well.. you should see winter. The sun comes up after 9 am and sets around 3 pm... so even in Stockholm we have very dark winters when it is at its worst.

Northernmost Sweden has a few weeks during summer where the sun never sets and during winter when the sun never rises...

ID10T

Sr Member
I just wanted to comment that this is a fantastic build.

And also, for your elbows, you can get button head screws with an included flange if you need it to look uniform and also keep a low profile. It ends up slightly lower than a button head with a washer.

Also, nylock nuts can be had in low height as well, similar to a jam nut. That would reduce the interior protrusion by a mm or so, if you need the space inside.

I think locking cap nuts also exist, which would avoid any sharp edges (although I’m sure you dress and polish the end of the fasteners)

That costume really looks fantastic. I was brought right back to the movie!

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just wanted to comment that this is a fantastic build.

And also, for your elbows, you can get button head screws with an included flange if you need it to look uniform and also keep a low profile. It ends up slightly lower than a button head with a washer.

Also, nylock nuts can be had in low height as well, similar to a jam nut. That would reduce the interior protrusion by a mm or so, if you need the space inside.

I think locking cap nuts also exist, which would avoid any sharp edges (although I’m sure you dress and polish the end of the fasteners)

That costume really looks fantastic. I was brought right back to the movie!
Thank you for your kind words. This is a build that I rather it takes a little longer time to get it "just right".

I will definitely check out the flanged button heads and other suggestions. Greatly appreciated =) . I've already started, in fact.

I started by looking at chicago screws, but that didn't really do the trick, unfortunately.

I just got a bigger resin printer today, so my modified version of the gloves should be ready for printing in a little while..

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Quick update:

I had to completely redo the finger. Turns out the tickness at the base was way, way too much.

Here's a render of the new version:

newfinger.png

newfinger2.png

These fit well around my ingers with my donor gloves on. I've test printed and earlier version of these, but they were only 1mm thin, and I had to redraw them from scratch (!) in order to expand them outward another mm to give them some more meat.

I'll be doing a test print later today on the new resin printer with flexible resin, see how that turns out! =)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.