Another Recaster

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Gordon Gekko, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This time, the Tomb Raider TOL that was created by Ramiel and myself.

Goes on Ebay by the name of geneva-roth-holding-corp

Tomb Raider Medallion Triangle of Light Prop Replica | eBay

How do I know it's recast? When Ramiel and I did this project, there were no clear shots of the sides of the TOL so we made them up.

[​IMG]

Looking through his other auctions, I would suspect most if not all of his offerings are recast. Possibly from members here.

I have asked him to end the listing and I'll see how that goes.:rolleyes

Also, he is using the Department of Defense logo on his Ebay about me page which is a no-no. Anyone know who you report that to??

2. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Holy crap these guys are coming out the wood work like mad. That Mummy key and grail cup are recast for sure. :unsure Sorry to hear about your stuff, hope you can do something about it.

3. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The TOL is a recast of John's work. Glad John is calling this one out :thumbsup

However, I don't think the Grail Cup is. I bought one of those years ago (sold it since then), and it was made of hand-turned clay.

4. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Really, thought I saw a members work on here that matched that. I guess they would all look pretty similar.

5. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. Alan Castillo

John, any reply from this fellow ?

7. Gordon Gekko

Yeah, he gave me the usual "prove it's yours, show me the copyright" etc. recaster spiel.

Claims he gets them from a guy in CA.

:darnkids

8. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

And it's again.............................. Florida....

Don't get me wrong, I love Florida, but why all pure evil comes from FL?!? :lol

I have to say, it's interesting for those, who missed the original triangle, but its only fair to resist in respect for the original seller...

9. asemblyrequired

asemblyrequired Well-Known Member

looking at his feedback I can see why people recast some of the items on ebay. They are selling like mad. The grail cup sold for all kinds of money on there. Why can't the replicaforum have an ebay store for members that are verified to sell through so people know they are getting original pieces. The Junkyard is great for members but it only reaches so few people and not the general masses.

-James

10. scarf man

scarf man Sr Member

Because it would be shut down by license holders, and paint a huge legal target on the RPF.

FS threads on the RPF predate eBay, and then were used as an alternative to eBay for members to trade, and offer runs of props out of the limelight and public scrutiny. Watto's junkyard (now just junkyard) was created as a means of keeping the ever growing number of sales threads from clogging up the main forum.

Reaching only members is a good thing.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  11. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Really? I thought the RPF started in 1999, and eBay started in 1995 and was full steam in 1996.
    :lol

12. Eaglewood

Eaglewood Sr Member

I just bought one of these here on the RPF. Love it and that one on Ebay for sure is a recast. There is also a little signature mark on these from here that should be on this one too if you look closely. Would have to see it close up to be sure. You have to know where it is.

13. scarf man

scarf man Sr Member

Well, ok I misspoke about FS threads predating eBay. I should have typed predated popular adoption by the hobby.
    LOL if you want to....
    What would become the RPF, (the AOL board) does go back to 94/95 and much of what goes on here today (FS threads), and many members when I joined, go back to the AOL group.

14. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Sure it's a recast?

I lookes a little bit closer, but the sides look a little bit different to me, or is it just because of the unclear casting?

15. Bootlegger137

Bootlegger137 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you look at the picture from GG, you'll see the note from him saying the side details were not seen in the movie and were speculation. I doubt that the ebay guy speculated exactly the same details.

16. fink

fink New Member

Hi...sorry to hijack the thread....however Gordon, could you SM me...I've tried messaging you loads of times about the Hal kit...I have paid, but havent heard anything from you....I hope there wasnt a problem when the switch from trpf web site was happened!
    Cheers

17. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Yeah, but that's it... The second ornament looks not like the one on the right sight for me... As I said, maybe it's depending on the casting or light. It just look slightly different to me...

18. glenthornetms

glenthornetms Member

It seems to me people keep doing it because it's easy money, and with sites like Ebay easy to sell. I do regular work for a company who are so paraniod about recasting and copyright they have a whole department tracking it and trying to stop it on a daily basis...sad as it is, it's a sign of the times :unsure

19. TomGLFan

TomGLFan Well-Known Member

Well, the whole situation just sucks. I hope you get it resolved. I hate these dirtbags who piggyback their way to profits off of somebody else's labour of love.

20. Gordon Gekko

That's the thing, it may look slightly different but that's because of different angle, different lighting etc.

But the side (and front for that matter) match. Because of what little was seen of the sides in the movie, it's not possible that another sculpt would have nearly identical details.

This is about the best view of the sides seen in the movie:

[​IMG]

Not a lot of detail, right???

I've enhanced the recaster image just to pull up some more details, and then laid my TOL next to it for a more direct comparison.

[​IMG][​IMG]

As is typical with recasters, his image is small and poor quality. But based off the marked areas showing the circle and floral pattern on my TOL,compared with the screen image above there is no way an independent sculptor would have come up with the same details.

21. Alan Castillo

The side is absolutely identical to yours. There can be no doubt whatsoever.

22. lordtalon

lordtalon New Member

No doubts here...it's a shame that folks do this kind of crap.

23. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

Recaster.
    Sorry to see it Gordo.
    If you get his real world name then drop me a PM as I like to keep a record of all known recasters. I think he is an associate or at least aquainted with another well known Florida recaster.

Another tell tale sign of a hack is that recasted subject matter typically only requires one paint color.

24. Sarednab

Sarednab Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ahhhh, I remember this eBay user! I bought a Grail Cup from Indiana Jones many many years ago (I think 7 years ago). Bad quality of it!

25. Harry Harris

Harry Harris Well-Known Member

I wonder why they won't ship to France? Seems like an odd choice not to ship to.

Harry

26. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

7 years ago, he bought a pazuzu head figure from me through ebay, he's been selling copies of that one eversince.

27. Alan Castillo

One you sculpted Marc ?

28. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

Bought the mold from a reputable seller 10 years ago, supposedly made from a screen used or MFP one. Sold this guy a finished copy and not too long after he started selling them

29. Alan Castillo

30. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

usually with people like him, the buyers get punished. They may be cheap, but the quality is usually really poor.

Ever seen one of coolmodels casts up close? i would be ashamed to sent something like that out even if it was intended as a freebie.

31. Alan Castillo

It is horrible that John's Triangle of Light was recast :( , but, I have in the past bought several items from this GRHC, and here now knowing this, the words come out grudgingly, I hate to say that the quality has always been excellent.

With regards to coolmodels, yeah, I've seen them, even have some of them, and they do require a ton and a half, and then some more, of work.

That coolmodels is a mystery to me in some cases, in the sense, yes, he is a recaster, but in alot of things he has, I have no idea where he could have gotten the originals from, as I've never seen some things he has, anywhere.

32. Alan Castillo

BTW Marc, do you still make the pazuzu head figure ? Been wanting to get one of these, but have always held back for primitive superstitious reasons though :lol (and probably still will :lol).

33. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

he might be an exception to the rule regarding quality, then. I still want to get that triangle, but will only buy it from John. He and Giorgio did an excellent job on it and deserve the credit and money for it.

I will have to look for the mold in storage, did you want a kit or finished one? Finished ones look like this:
    [​IMG]

My wife doesn't allow me to keep it in the house. She is not religious and not easily spooked, but she was very clear that she didn't like it in our house, so i obeyed.........sort of.......no really (as in hidden in the back of the collection shelves in my attic :lol

34. Alan Castillo

100% agreed of course :thumbsup

Exact same feelings here :lol

.... let me first decide if I want one in the house :lol

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012