Another Recaster

Gordon Gekko

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This time, the Tomb Raider TOL that was created by Ramiel and myself.

Goes on Ebay by the name of geneva-roth-holding-corp

Tomb Raider Medallion Triangle of Light Prop Replica | eBay

How do I know it's recast? When Ramiel and I did this project, there were no clear shots of the sides of the TOL so we made them up.

recast.jpg

Looking through his other auctions, I would suspect most if not all of his offerings are recast. Possibly from members here.

I have asked him to end the listing and I'll see how that goes.:rolleyes

Also, he is using the Department of Defense logo on his Ebay about me page which is a no-no. Anyone know who you report that to??

Holy crap these guys are coming out the wood work like mad. That Mummy key and grail cup are recast for sure. :unsure Sorry to hear about your stuff, hope you can do something about it.

Holy crap these guys are coming out the wood work like mad. That Mummy key and grail cup are recast for sure. :unsure Sorry to hear about your stuff, hope you can do something about it.

The TOL is a recast of John's work. Glad John is calling this one out :thumbsup

However, I don't think the Grail Cup is. I bought one of those years ago (sold it since then), and it was made of hand-turned clay.

Yeah, he gave me the usual "prove it's yours, show me the copyright" etc. recaster spiel.

Claims he gets them from a guy in CA.

:darnkids

And it's again.............................. Florida....

Don't get me wrong, I love Florida, but why all pure evil comes from FL?!? :lol

I have to say, it's interesting for those, who missed the original triangle, but its only fair to resist in respect for the original seller...

looking at his feedback I can see why people recast some of the items on ebay. They are selling like mad. The grail cup sold for all kinds of money on there. Why can't the replicaforum have an ebay store for members that are verified to sell through so people know they are getting original pieces. The Junkyard is great for members but it only reaches so few people and not the general masses.

-James

Why can't the replicaforum have an ebay store for members that are verified to sell through so people know they are getting original pieces. The Junkyard is great for members but it only reaches so few people and not the general masses.

-James

Because it would be shut down by license holders, and paint a huge legal target on the RPF.

FS threads on the RPF predate eBay, and then were used as an alternative to eBay for members to trade, and offer runs of props out of the limelight and public scrutiny. Watto's junkyard (now just junkyard) was created as a means of keeping the ever growing number of sales threads from clogging up the main forum.

Reaching only members is a good thing.

Last edited:
Because it would be shut down by license holders, and paint a huge legal target on the RPF.

FS threads on the RPF predate eBay, and then were used as an alternative to eBay for members to trade, and offer runs of props out of the limelight and public scrutiny. Watto's junkyard (now just junkyard) was created as a means of keeping the ever growing number of sales threads from clogging up the main forum.

Reaching only members is a good thing.

Really? I thought the RPF started in 1999, and eBay started in 1995 and was full steam in 1996.
:lol

I just bought one of these here on the RPF. Love it and that one on Ebay for sure is a recast. There is also a little signature mark on these from here that should be on this one too if you look closely. Would have to see it close up to be sure. You have to know where it is.

Really? I thought the RPF started in 1999, and eBay started in 1995 and was full steam in 1996.
:lol
Well, ok I misspoke about FS threads predating eBay. I should have typed predated popular adoption by the hobby.
LOL if you want to....
What would become the RPF, (the AOL board) does go back to 94/95 and much of what goes on here today (FS threads), and many members when I joined, go back to the AOL group.

Sure it's a recast?

I lookes a little bit closer, but the sides look a little bit different to me, or is it just because of the unclear casting?

Sure it's a recast?

I lookes a little bit closer, but the sides look a little bit different to me, or is it just because of the unclear casting?

If you look at the picture from GG, you'll see the note from him saying the side details were not seen in the movie and were speculation. I doubt that the ebay guy speculated exactly the same details.

Hi...sorry to hijack the thread....however Gordon, could you SM me...I've tried messaging you loads of times about the Hal kit...I have paid, but havent heard anything from you....I hope there wasnt a problem when the switch from trpf web site was happened!
Cheers

If you look at the picture from GG, you'll see the note from him saying the side details were not seen in the movie and were speculation. I doubt that the ebay guy speculated exactly the same details.

Yeah, but that's it... The second ornament looks not like the one on the right sight for me... As I said, maybe it's depending on the casting or light. It just look slightly different to me...

It seems to me people keep doing it because it's easy money, and with sites like Ebay easy to sell. I do regular work for a company who are so paraniod about recasting and copyright they have a whole department tracking it and trying to stop it on a daily basis...sad as it is, it's a sign of the times :unsure

Well, the whole situation just sucks. I hope you get it resolved. I hate these dirtbags who piggyback their way to profits off of somebody else's labour of love.

Yeah, but that's it... The second ornament looks not like the one on the right sight for me... As I said, maybe it's depending on the casting or light. It just look slightly different to me...

That's the thing, it may look slightly different but that's because of different angle, different lighting etc.

But the side (and front for that matter) match. Because of what little was seen of the sides in the movie, it's not possible that another sculpt would have nearly identical details.

This is about the best view of the sides seen in the movie:

pdvd114.jpg

Not a lot of detail, right???

I've enhanced the recaster image just to pull up some more details, and then laid my TOL next to it for a more direct comparison.

recast2.jpg
recast3.jpg

As is typical with recasters, his image is small and poor quality. But based off the marked areas showing the circle and floral pattern on my TOL,compared with the screen image above there is no way an independent sculptor would have come up with the same details.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back