Another Pip-Boy, this time with wearable working controls!

thatdecade

Getting around to finishing my Pip-Boy project, these are my plans and research so far.

Last fall, I purchased a Pip-Boy cast from Skruffy. The cast I received from him needed very little sanding to get it to fit together and look right.

I was inspired to go beyond this by another member named pudding who posted a video of a functional Pip-Boy he made using one of Skruffy's casts with an android app and an arduino for the serial interface to the phone.

I think I can go beyond this. Smaller, more functions, and more accuracy. I asked a my buddy to code up a universal pipboy webapp that will function very close to the pipboy in fallout 3, calling it the Pip-Boy emulator. He is very excited to see this prop in action!
I've seen a few demos of his progress, looks good so far. He assures me that the sound effects / animations I want won't be a problem.

Then on my side is the hardware. I figure the interface between the controls and the ipod touch will be a mini bluetooth keyboard (slightly smaller than an ipod touch). The app will support keyboard input so keypresses can be used to navigate the Pip-Boy in addition to touch screen input.

The last piece of the puzzle is the controls on the face of the Pip-Boy that will be wired into the bluetooth keyboard. There are three input sets on the face controls; the Wheel which moves up-down through the menus, the Knob which moves left-right through the menus, and the front Lights which switches menu areas (STATS, INFO, DATA).

falloutCrop by thatdecade, on Flickr

Each of the three front LEDs will be an illuminated yellow LED switch wired into the keyboard's A, B, C keys. In order to get each LED to light up when it is selected an Attiny chip will be used.
Six I/O pins on the Attiny will be used for the front LEDs. Three of the pins will be an input, connected in parallel with the keyboard wiring. Then three of the pins will be an output, turning the LEDs on and off.
- Link to illuminated pushbutton part

The Wheel and Knob will be incremental rotary encoders. The rotary encoder will be connected to the Attiny chip which will interpret the encoder output and decide if the Wheel / Knob is being turned clockwise or counter-clock wise. Turning the Wheel in an upward motion will press the UP key repeatedly, turning in the downward direction will press the DOWN key repeatedly. The Knob will be connected similar, but for LEFT and RIGHT.
- Link to rotary encoder part

Here is a demo of a rotary encoder being used as a keyboard up/down.
YouTube - HID-Knob, USB HID keyboard rotary encoder

Final thoughts
The best part about this build is the mini bluetooth keyboard and it's tiny rechargeable battery. The plan is to power the whole sha-bang off that battery which will fit in the cavity behind the ipod screen (which has been pushed flush to the front of the pipboy display).

The only thing I am leaving out is the speaker & amplifier. Is a requirement of convention floors... I know... I just can't spare the room, at least for a dedicated 2W amp circuit / speaker.

Thanks guys. As soon as I get the prototype finished, I'll write up some wiring diagrams along with the c code to run the decoder.

For today, I wrote out some sudo code and came up with delays of ~5 keypresses per second. That feels long to me, so I am probably going to speed that up. [C++] Rotary Encoder Code - Pastebin.com

Super excited that you're doing this! An implementation almost just like this was the first thing that went thru my head when I first saw Scruffy's excellent build. The bluetooth keyboard is a really really clever solution though; my first thought was to build something that interfaced via the dock connector and fed serial commands to the iphone-or-pod but why when somebody else has already solved that for you?! Excited to see how it progresses.

Very cool! I took mine to comic-con with only touchscreen controls because the electronics to connect the switches to the phone were too bulky, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I've been asked to make one of these over at the card modeling forum. You're electronics look a bit over complicated, but everyone has their own way of doing things. Can't wait to see how this comes out. I really need to get back to work on mine. Thanks for sharing.

Keyswitch? That's genius! I was so happy just discover what a rotary encoder was. Seven inputs however is pretty close to my limit for inputs. I'll come back to this one.

Underdog, I'm simplifying it as much as I can. One of my alternate plans was to program a bluetooth module myself. Right now I'm glad I went with a prefab bluetooth keyboard.

Can see the matrix by thatdecade, on Flickr

I think I can eliminate some of the wire pairs by changing the keys expected by the app. Use asdfghj instead of asdw123 for example.

Still trying to figure out how to get a webapp to listen for bluetooth keyboard input. Safari seems to ignore keyboard events when a textbox is not selected.

I'll get back to this project eventually. My software coder stopped after hitting a wall getting his flash app converted to work on iOS. I may just code the whole thing myself in javascript.
He was on the right track, have a invisible text box to activate the keyboard.

On my hardware side, once I knew I'd miss Halloween I stopped all work and put my attention elsewhere. The plan is unchanged, build up a prototype circuit using a microcontroller to interpret the inputs of button and wheel, then output the correct keyboard matrix for a particular keypress.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back