ANOTHER Evil Dead Chainsaw Build... Groovy! Finished Pix Up!

Beeb89

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Because I don't have quite enough projects on the burner, why not add one more, right? ;) This has been on the list for a while and with "Ash vs The Evil Dead" starting up on Starz, that was just the motivation I needed. Also, I have a fun twist on the character I would like to do.

I've seen some truly EPIC build here and great pointers and advice on this project which has been a huge help already! So, time to break out the Homelite and get this party started!
EDC6.jpg

Cracking it open you can see they really pack a lot of motor in a little space! And brother, is it a mess! Also, you can see it's not the exact model but other than the handle, it's spot on. (Yes, I know the "gas & oil mix" cap is not correct but already taken care of!)
EDC7.jpg
EDC8.jpg

All the parts are dismantled and ready to get a MAJOR cleaning! (I kept the hand guard as I have an idea for the warning pics! ;) )
EDC9.jpg

After some tough love with a hacksaw and grinder all the unneeded parts have been removed from the motor... Quite a chore but nothing too major. I also cast the back half of the motor in resin to keep it as thin as possible but still have the "look".
EDC3.jpg
EDC4.jpg

Next up, chopping up the shell... Now, out of all the people who have posted their builds, nobody mentioned what a HUGE PAIN IN THE ***** that shell is to cut!! Nearly burned up my poor Dremel in the process, but it's done!
EDC5.jpg

Here's where I'm at now, made a pattern for the metal cover and will be making that and the handle next! (Note the correct caps now ;) )
EDC1.jpg
EDC2.jpg

Thanks for looking!
-B89! ;)

Last edited:
Re: ANOTHER Evil Dead Chainsaw Build... Groovey!

Worked up the template for the handle and got the dowel rod cut. Ready to shape the aluminum for the final handle tomorrow.
image.jpgimage.jpg

-B89!

Re: ANOTHER Evil Dead Chainsaw Build... Groovy!

Thanks, buddy! I've always wanted to build one and it proving to be a lot of fun so far!

Got the aluminum formed for the handle and the dowels cut and ready to bolt on...
image.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks for checking out the build!
-B89!

Great build man. One thing if you please? What are the differences between the oil and fuel caps? Just out of interest, second time I've heard this on here.

Thanks, buddy! Actually, the difference is not a big one at all... Homelite chainsaws, even the XL models, have minor differences it seems. Some have just symbols for the fuel and oil while others have text. The accurate caps I've been told are the ones the have the symbols AND text, the original fuel cap I had just had text. Like I said, nothing major but it's those little things that drive some of us builders nuts! ;)
image.jpg

-B89!

Cheers for clarifying it. Checked my own and it has the symbols and text too. The build is always about the little details :)

I'm embarking on one of these builds myself. I look forward to seeing the end result of your chainsaw. Some threads never make it to the completed version, so make sure you post some pics ;)

I'm curious to know - what are your plans for the grill on the side?

I never get tired of seeing these built. I'v built both the cabin version and the workshed version. I milled, molded, and cast up my own grill so I could produce them whenever I needed (I'v build quite a few of these things). I was able to source a fairly accurate clamp that goes around his hand from a local hydraulics company. The one thing that still kills me is having to buy a brand new bar and chain, so I'm working on making my own from aluminum. Good luck with the build, can't wait to see more!

Brian

Thanks again, guys! Yeah, I totally feel your pain regarding buying a new 20" bar... The saw I'm using came with a 16" bar so I'll be using that as a place holder till I get the 20" bar done. Regarding what I'm doing for the grill, I've debated making one from sketch but to save time and headache I may just pick one up if I can find anyone that might be offering them... (PMing you, Wonko! ;) )

And anyone working on a saw or have completed ones you wouldn't mind sharing, PLEASE DO!!

-B89!

Got it and replied. Here's a few shots of the 2 I have right now. As you can see, I just recently was able to get one of mine signed by the man himself :D. The pics of the cabin version were taken before it was finished, but you get the idea. Also, the completed workshed version has a quick and dirty (and not accurate) grill on it that has since been replaced with my cold cast version. Looking forward to seeing this complete!!!

Brian

CAM00289.jpg 2013-08-13 17.16.35.jpg signed workshed saw.jpg CAM00283.jpg

Dude, those look AWESOME!!! I'm building the work shed version myself, but I LOVE your cabin version! I'm actually rolling pretty good on the one I'm working on. I'd say I'm about 65% done. It really has been a fun project so far, more than I thought it would be. ;)

Thanks again!!
-B89!

Thanks man, I love building them. I tend to lose track of time when I'm building one and have been known to finish one in a weekend. I also should have mentioned that one of the pics of the shed version have a convention safe bar made out of coroplast, (my son did a mini Ash a few years ago) hence the funny lines.

Brian

I know what you mean about loosing track of time... This one's an easy project to get in the zone with! Speaking of which, I finished up the handle and pull cord handle and did a quick mock up using the paper pattern for the metal plate...

-B89!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 103

Looks great! I'm not sure why the pics in PM aren't working so I'll just leave this here...

Brian

CAM00008-1.jpg

Managed to get the metal plate cut and set today with the front mount for the handle drilled and fitted. I have to say, this was nerve wrecking! Having to line those holes up for the bolts that go into the motor and the toggle switch... Glad it's done! ;) Did a quick mock up to see how it looks... I did it!!
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks for looking!
-B89!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back