Another Escape Pod (Masterpiece Models Base)

The escape pod is number 5 in my set of ANH miniatures (X, Y, TIE, TIE X-1), and the intent is to ensure consistency in the way they are displayed. The stands are an important factor in this, and they need to allow options in terms of posing the model, as well as being discrete. For the Imperial models, the stands are black and feature the well established visual cues. Here for example is the stand for the TIE fighter.

IMG_1517.jpeg

For the Rebel Alliance ships we took inspiration from the Falcon's mandibles. Here's the (belly mount) stand for the X-Wing.

IMG_0025.jpeg

The X-1, X and Y Wings are all lower profile models, but the TIE and the Escape Pod are fairly tall. To allow for some balance in a display we wanted to keep the height of the mounted TIE and Escape Pod fairly close. So we examined mounting designs eventually settling on number 4 which utilises the central mount, and will allow the Pod to rotate to have the engine or cap uppermost depending on the mood. Ignore the Imperial aesthetic. The stand will be consistent with the less than pristine finish of the Pod.

Stand Choices copy.jpg

The final design of the stand was laser cut from steel as it has to be sturdy to support the weight of the model and with its substantial internal armature.

unnamed-1 copy.jpg
unnamed-3 copy.jpg

The stand incorporates a long expanding spigot to lock the pod at the chosen angle. Everything was base coated, and then carefully welded together. Note the flanges on the head end of the expanding bolt shroud, these lock into grooves inside the tube to stop the rotation.

SAM_3569 copy.JPG
SAM_3577 copy.JPG

The stand will then be dressed with kit parts to hide some of the mechanical function.

Last edited:
The stand was then painted and weathered consistent with the Pod.

SAM_3604.JPG copy.jpg
SAM_3607.JPG copy.jpg

An extra detail cap was also created to hide the locking screw.

SAM_3608.JPG copy.jpg
SAM_3610.JPG copy.jpg
SAM_3611.JPG copy.jpg

Where the spigot enters the model needed addressing. With the Sealab dish removed you can see the steel shaft and of course that grabs your attention.

01.jpg

Another Sealab part was cast to disguise the join. This was tricky as the spigot enters at an odd angle due to the way the support tube inside the pod has been welded to the internal armature. It worked fine in the end and spacing was good to fill the gap.

02.jpg
03.JPG

Model in place on the stand with all weathering complete.

11.jpg
SAM_3662 copy.JPG

The Escape Pod is bristling with delicate details that are just begging to get knocked off. The heavy duty internal armature was designed from the outset to ensure the model can be transported securely.

The custom travel stand inserts steel spigots into both the top and side apertures - solidly locking the model in place.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

04.JPG

The whole thing is then bolted into its travel case. Note the spare Sealab and end caps depending on how the Pod will be mounted.

08.jpg
09.JPG
10.jpg

Here it is fully secured and protected. Can’t wait to get it home and get some high res photographs done.

11.jpg

Hot damn, this is really an inspiring thread from beginning to end! I love your solution for travel, and am definitely borrowing it for my 32" Millennium Falcon (though as big as that one is I'm going with 80/20 aluminum and welded steel).

Great build!

Maybe I missed it, what are these parts like guns?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201128-114903_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201128-114903_Samsung Internet.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 98
Wow, this looks fantastic! I'm not sure how I missed this. Love the stands too. I hope no one is offended if I do a little reverse engineering for my Y-Wing mount. ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back