ANH "Mystery" Darth Vader Helmet Update...

propsculptor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For those who are New to the RPF, here is the link to the thread about this Helmet:
ANH "Mystery" Helmet

These are the Film Screencaps I'm using as reference for the restoration:
(They're Actual 5 X 7 inch Screencap photos taped to posterboard)
VaderRefPics.jpg

After using a lot of solvents and thinners (And dissolving 3 Layers of thick paint.)
I made a few discoveries with the Helmet, in Blue I marked the areas that were
originally painted Silver, in Red you can see where the original fingernail mark was
(It's filled in with Bondo but looks white in the pic) and the New one above it...

Here are photos:
vaderdetails1.jpg

Another View...
vaderdetails1a.jpg

I will be uploading an adding much more photos showing the progress,
and for those patiently waiting, I apologise for the delay...

Impressive. Most impressive.

Looking forward to more photos and progress. Thanks for sharing the update with us. :thumbsup

That's a hell of an undertaking, PS.

Looking forward to more progress pics (and being able to send you some more money ;) :lol )

Thanks again,
Fred

Well it's a Silver-ish color (At one time it could have been a Gun Metal color), but since it got stripped off with the 3 other layers of paint it's difficult to tell exactly what the color was because it's been mostly removed.

I'll be adding more photos to the Posterboard this week, so I will post a copy of those too.

Don't forgot this from when I started taking off the paint:
Forehead.jpg

After thinking about it, if this was a copy of the Helmet with the Latch Molded into the forehead & it was sanded off, all of the Fiberglass or Gelcoat would have blended together and would not have needed to be filled in with Bondo, so it may be an original...

By the way... I was FINALLY able to get the Apple Tabs after repeatedly bidding and not winning, now I'm looking into making durable copies.
(I'll be testing out many different materials...R & D)

<div class='quotetop'>(vaderic @ Jul 10 2006, 06:56 AM) [snapback]1277869[/snapback]</div>
it is silver and not the gun metal color?
[/b]

I've done some sanding but I still need to strip away more of the paint residue to see the rest of the details (This is really tough paint.)

Are you looking for something in particular on the Mouth?

<div class='quotetop'>(kell @ Jul 10 2006, 05:45 PM) [snapback]1278298[/snapback]</div>
Very interesting... Thanks for update pics. Have you sanded around the mouth yet ?
[/b]

Hey PS :)

May I sugggest trying oven cleaner? just the crappy 30min stuff that you use in cold ovens? I used it to strip off the old paint on my GH. It's an old trick I used on plastic slot car bodies (1:24 scale model cars with a home made wire chassis)

Cleaning-Vader.jpg

It takes a few goes, depending on how stubborn the paint is, but it will also strip bondo. Just thought it might save you some time and elbow grease.

Cheers,

Kraig

Not necessarily. I am not an expert on this helmet. Have always had a strong feeling more would be revealed, especially after the dome latch was exposed. Look forward to more progress pics. Can't wait to get one.

I appreciate the suggestion but I don't want to strip the Bondo and have to
completely redo the Bondo again after that.

<div class='quotetop'>(yakcam @ Jul 10 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]1278402[/snapback]</div>

May I sugggest trying oven cleaner? just the crappy 30min stuff that you use in cold ovens? I used it to strip off the old paint on my GH. It's an old trick I used on plastic slot car bodies (1:24 scale model cars with a home made wire chassis)

Cleaning-Vader.jpg

It takes a few goes, depending on how stubborn the paint is, but it will also strip bondo. Just thought it might save you some time and elbow grease.

Cheers,

Kraig
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(propsculptor @ Jul 11 2006, 12:27 AM) [snapback]1278416[/snapback]</div>
I appreciate the suggestion but I don't want to strip the Bondo and have to
completely redo the Bondo again after that.

<div class='quotetop'>(yakcam @ Jul 10 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]1278402[/snapback]

Cleaning-Vader.jpg

Cheers,

Kraig
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

I realize you don't want to use a stripper propsculptor, but for anyone else that is wondering, I can second what yakcam recommended. Oven cleaner (I use Heavy Duty EasyOff Oven Cleaner with lye), works wonders when used to strip paint from plastics and fiberglass.

<div class='quotetop'>(propsculptor @ Jul 10 2006, 10:14 AM) [snapback]1277883[/snapback]</div>
After thinking about it, if this was a copy of the Helmet with the Latch Molded into the forehead & it was sanded off, all of the Fiberglass or Gelcoat would have blended together and would not have needed to be filled in with Bondo, so it may be an original...[/b]

Well, that depends on how it was removed. If it was ground off a little over agressively, some patching would've been needed.

<div class='quotetop'>(Ghost Host @ Jul 11 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]1278774[/snapback]</div>
I admire your openness about showing what's underneath the primer. very open and honest. :)
[/b]

As I was catching up on this thread I was thinking exactly the same thing GH. You took the words right out of my mouth. It's nice to see the honesty.

It's partly because of my Boy Scout background,
after all I am an Eagle Scout. :)

I found in general honesty is the best policy.

I wanted to make sure that everyone was confident in what I was telling them and offering them, that's exactly why I have been up-front & Honest, I and have not made any false claims like "it's an original casting" or something like that.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back