ANH Han Solo Belt Disk

Looks like red locktite to me. Its a translucent paint of some sort. Could be a Loctite but im not sure what thread locker was available in the 60's. Im guessing the red and black paint is a frequency damper of sorts to tailor the frequency response curve of the mic or to lower a resonance peak. Makes sense to dampen that pointy center .

You’re talking about “thread lock” which is either blue or red, with the color indicating it’s hold strength. The amount of force it will take to break the bonds of the material. Usually used on screws that have a tendscy to loosen under normal use. It’s not usually used as a permanent glue, just to strengthen the fit.
Nope, I don't believe it's loctite, I know what that looks like, and it's much more opaque than this red.

Could simply be a color code, from manufacturing, telling when it was made, or for what brand or model mic it was to be installed in.

Or maybe it's just glue used to secure the little brand logo that sits on top?

Edit: or heck, what do I know? You could very well be right about the sound dampening theory.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!
I know I'm a bit late to the game here - I referenced the findings you guys came up with quite heavily in finding a pair of mic elements not too long ago... Thank you all for the research and such!

The two I ended up finding are a VOM and a Sennheiser (the Sennheiser is in much better shape), and I (with the help of a friend who has a copy of Rhino on his computer) modeled the belt disc based off of the dimensions of the mic elements that can be printed on Shapeways. I've got a first iteration on the way, and I'll post pictures of the 3D printed part next to the vintage one, if anyone's interested. :)

Cheers!

Ok everyone... I've got my "v1" print of the belt disc...

Aside from the textural difference ( 3D printed nickel-plated steel, vs. original stamped aluminum), it's damn-near spot on! I've attached two images comparing the printed one to a vintage Sennheiser mic element. I'm incredibly curious to get everyone's feedback and thoughts.

Cheers!

belt_discs_front.jpgbelt_discs_side.jpg

N.B. - in both images, the reason why the original part looks like it's slightly raised is due to the two solder pins on the back that held the mic wire in place. I'm keeping the Sennheiser "as-is" for reference and measurements.

Reviving an old thread .if possible

Is there a list compiled of all the mics that would have these . Obviously some cases you cant see the condenser and so many old mics around .
Wondering how the telefunken mm65 was found ?

Searching in the uk

Thanks in advance :)

Reviving an old thread .if possible

Is there a list compiled of all the mics that would have these . Obviously some cases you cant see the condenser and so many old mics around .
Wondering how the telefunken mm65 was found ?

Searching in the uk

Thanks in advance :)

I'll go back through the ones I picked up on Etsy (I've seen some of these on eBay as well) - I can tell you that one of mine (the one in the pictures) is from a Sennheiser "bullet" mic... the kind you'd see harmonica players using back in the day. I'll look up the type and post it here.

Thank you .:)

Hopefully this will help others too

Ive just gone through the thread a listing models that were named .
Lots for sale its wondering whats behind the casing without buying a mic that may be no good

Vom bullet mic ( can see the top )
Telefunken M.M.65
Ronette MC65/MM65 microphone
Ronette MM65,
harp VOM mic element"
Ronette of Holland mic used by VM, Silvertone and Philco

Looking for 2 ideally for my esb chewy bandolier. Currently they are resin
20191029_184428.jpg
FB_IMG_1583448100009.jpg

One of reasons for restarting this thread was ive came across lots of these vm mics .
But with the mesh its hard to tell if they are right or not :(
20200429_200853.jpg
20200429_200841.jpg

Came across this too showing two different sizes of elements

Still struggling to find anything at the moment even the telefunken mm65 is elusive
ronette-folder4.jpg

Came across this too showing two different sizes of elements

Still struggling to find anything at the moment even the telefunken mm65 is elusive View attachment 1293094

Going off of my measurements from the VOM and Sennheiser that I have (the VOM is on my homemade ANH belt), the diameter is roughly 30mm (my digital calipers settled around 29.18mm). I'd imagine that the model "C" in the vintage advertisement is the one... if you can find the damn things :rolleyes:

Sorry . Just seen this post for the ebay one
Did a lust ever get compiled of all mics that have the right element .?
What models work etc
Lots around just some like the telefunken mm65 are hidden behind the case so there no way of knowing untill open

After lots of time spent hunting here in the US, I was finally able to snag this funny little Ronette MM.65 microphone that I tracked down over in the UK! Thanks to CWOODREPLICAS for generously offering to assist with the purchase/shipping, as the seller wasn't willing to deal with shipping to the US. The mic housing itself is such a cool shape, I think I may have to use it for a custom hand prop! Perhaps a communicator of sorts? Part of a breathing apparatus maybe?

0404211142.jpg

0404211152.jpg

The microphone's housing is basically identical to that of the "Telefunken" MM.65 that phillbarron posted earlier in this thread, save for the branding and a few very small details. It also contains the accurate Ronette harp mic element (this one was the dark-mesh, red-dot variety) but most importantly, it contains the thin metal shroud piece that shields the contacts on the bottom of the mic element. I know that it's not definitive if this piece was used on Han's ANH belt or not, but I'm in the camp that believes it was:

0404211149.jpg

0404211149a.jpg

0404211153.jpg

I'm also in the camp that believes the screen-used disc had white mesh and a red center, so I've gone ahead and swapped in a white-mesh disk that I pulled out of a "Voice of Music" bullet mic. The setup on the right is the combo that I'll feature on my (future) ANH holster rig .. at least until further reference surfaces!

0404211157.jpg

Thanks to those who helped uncover this cool little greeblie here in this thread ... Just a little detail piece, but so cool to finally have the real thing in hand after wondering for many years what it could be!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back