ANH and ESB Graflex crystal chambers

Thibault

Sr Member
Hey guys !

I had to blow away an old computer ...
But, because I am paranoiac, I don't wanted the government, crooks, ex GFs, etc, having any personal info....
So... I dismantled it in order to destroy it literally with a hammer, and I have found a lot of parts, enough to start the project of my dream !!

Here is the parts I have chosen :

Those parts mostly came from the dvd writer, the dvd/cdrom driver, the mother board, the processor, the hard drive, etc... They are composed of wires connectors, retention screws (from the side panels of the PC tower), the bars came from the dvds hardware and serve to move the laser up and down.... radiator taken from the processor unit, etc...

For the project, I decided to make a two floor crystal chamber, so I started with the first floor :

I took this part (from the hard drive) and I dremel it in order to insert the bars :

Then, again from the hard drive :

(dremel, and inserting the wires connectors inside a :confused retention screw)

Then, I took the radiator or whatever his name is, located in front of the processor, and I dismantled it in order to glue some of his parts inside the previous pics and finally added the inner part of the hard drive :

And finally :

Then, I connected the two parts of the first floor, completed with some random parts :

Then, the second floor :

I took a plastic wheel from a box and I cut it in the middle (I initially cut aluminum circle, but I choose something harder, the aluminum was too gummy), and dremel it in order to let the bars fit through :

Then, I bought a kenner Anakin lightsaber toy.... I took the electronics and I fit them inside my chamber :

Then, I insert the whole thing inside a Parks graflex :

Now, I am waiting for my two aqua aura crystals that I just bought on eBay...

Then, I will sand and clean all of the parts and fix the whole stuff inside !

But, the problem for me now... It's the electronic :sick

I want to buy a luxeon kit at the custom saber shop.... But I have a question... Can I connect the luxeon kit to the same batteries of the kenner board ??????

Or do I have to MacGyver the stuff or something else ?

If you have any comments, or advises, or modifications .... I will be very happy !!
Thanks !!!

Last edited:
Re: My Luke lightsaber crystal chamber ! (Need some help)

Damn! Pretty cool!

I have to ask...what type of computer had all that cool ready made stuff for a saber reveal? I don't recognize any of those parts for a computer.

That's fantastic! I love the way all the bits and bobs seem to form a cohesive whole!

Great stuff!

Rich

It was Packard Bell, with a CD/DVD writer, and a CD/DVD reader....

I have dismantled all the hardware, but I mostly took those parts from the hard drive and from the two cd/dvd writer/reader...

From the first three pictures you have :

- The aluminum circles came from the hard drive :

- The wire connector (wich will support the Aqua Aura crystal) :

- The bars came from the 2 DVD/CD drives, they make the laser moving up to down and read the CD ( both side where it is written "tracking motors") :

- The retention screws came from the panels of the computer tower, they hold the panels to the main structure where the hardware is fixed (the two copper point on the image ) :

The heat conductor was placed at the top of the processor :

I hope you will get it mate.... My english vocabulary is completely empty !!!

Re: My Luke lightsaber crystal chamber reveal - (Need some help)

I have just received my crystals...

But I am not happy with the way they lights up with the kenner toy leds... I need a more powerful source in order to light up the two floors...

Do you think that I can use two luxeon led, one for the blade, the other for the crystals, the whole thing connected to the kenner board...?

And an other question... Can a crystal be polished or sanded ???

Thanks guys !

Honestly, the most ive been able to run off a 3 AAA pack is a seoul P4 LED and one of the hyper white LED's from radioshack and that was from a Master Replica's Sound Board so im really not sure the kenner board would be able to take 2 Luxeons as those are a huge drain on power. You could probably wire 2 standard 3 mm LEDs for the crystal chamber, one for the top and one for the bottom.

Do you think that I can use two luxeon led, one for the blade, the other for the crystals, the whole thing connected to the kenner board...?

Thanks guys !

No! That'd blind you, lol. That'd be really too bright. You might look into some brighter indicator LEDs.

How much do you know about electronics? You can find out the power and current, using simple physics, that you'd need to run another Luxeon - but I think it'd be far too bright for the eye to handle, personally.

If you could plug your lightsaber in a socket you could use the laser from your DVD/CD-Rom Player, yes? :D

Nice reveal lightsaber, excellente!

-Chaim

PS My PC has also recently crashed beyond repair, still need to back-up from the hard discs before I use them for reveal parts though.

You can get the blade holder and Luxeon heat sync stuff from The Custom Saber Shop. I'd put a Luxeon in the crystal chamber to make it glow just as bright.

No! Wicked means awesome! c'est superbe!

Damn ... I had the same problem with "Terrific" ....
I need to download more US tv shows in original version ...

So.... : Thank you Darth !! And sorry !:)

Honestly, the most ive been able to run off a 3 AAA pack is a seoul P4 LED and one of the hyper white LED's from radioshack and that was from a Master Replica's Sound Board so im really not sure the kenner board would be able to take 2 Luxeons as those are a huge drain on power. You could probably wire 2 standard 3 mm LEDs for the crystal chamber, one for the top and one for the bottom.

So... If I buy an fx MR... I could connect two luxeon leds ?
Did you have enough room in the lightsaber to do this ?

No! That'd blind you, lol. That'd be really too bright. You might look into some brighter indicator LEDs.

How much do you know about electronics? You can find out the power and current, using simple physics, that you'd need to run another Luxeon - but I think it'd be far too bright for the eye to handle, personally.

Mate... I know about electronics the same that a butterfly know about quantic physics...

So, I would have to found a plecterlabs or hyperdyne sound board that could drive both luxeon and indicator leds...?

If you could plug your lightsaber in a socket you could use the laser from your DVD/CD-Rom Player, yes? :D

Nice reveal lightsaber, excellente!

-Chaim

PS My PC has also recently crashed beyond repair, still need to back-up from the hard discs before I use them for reveal parts though.

I had try with a laser pointer :lol !!!!
A green one... But I have done this with sunglasses and I had the same pb... the laser does not light up the both floors... I think that the molecular structure of the crystal catch the light... (just for looking smart and scientist :rolleyes :lol)...

If this had worked, I would have buy a bluray laser on ebay...

Thanks for the compliment !

You can get the blade holder and Luxeon heat sync stuff from The Custom Saber Shop. I'd put a Luxeon in the crystal chamber to make it glow just as bright.

But did it blinded you ?

What was the power of the led ? 1w, 5w ?

I went to the tcss but they had no blue leds anymore... :unsure

:eek :eek :eek

If I send you an old TV I have, can you make me an Asgard Transport Portal from 'Thor' ????

Fantastic and very creative work there :cool !!!!

So sorry I missed this thread before now !

Normal electronics are NOT my friends, so something like this is even more astonishing to me.

No problem !!!

You can also send me your TOS SE phaser... I will make it shot for real...
My name is Boumeur and I promise that I will send it to you back !! :lol:lol:lol

Thanks for the compliments, it is an honor !!!!

:eek :eek :eek

If I send you an old TV I have, can you make me an Asgard Transport Portal from 'Thor' ????

Fantastic and very creative work there :cool !!!!

So sorry I missed this thread before now !

Normal electronics are NOT my friends, so something like this is even more astonishing to me.

Well... I stopped the project and restarted it from zero, because I discovered some chassis parts on the custom saber shop... :

CD1_t.jpg

CD1H_t.jpg

SO12_t.jpg

BR440AT_t.jpg

CD2H_t.jpg

I also ordered on ebay some non functionals hard drive, and I keep some of my old parts, in order to finish my ANH graflex chambers.

Also, the past few months, I focused on building the "Master Yoda" (from the FX sabers forum) crystal chamber DIY kit !
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=31776.msg426458#msg426458

The kit is awesome, highly detailed, and simple to build... And the guy how built it is a nice and wonderful person, with great communication !
I can more recommend you to get one !
I know that a lot of you have a preference for static hilt, but it's really a piece you have to own ! So check for his further runs !

I opted for the ESB version, and thanks to the RPF graflex buds , I just discover that it was a mixed version, and more MoM version...

My problem was the "electronic" ... Because I just know how to solder, and that's all :lol

I inserted a Petit crouton soundboard, inside (Petit Crouton Sound Module), and with the awesome help from his creator, Erv', also a nice member here, I just finished it !
It uses a Micro Sd card, that you can parameter with your computer (sounds, the blinking of the LED, the sensitivity of the swing sounds, etc...)

img1224o.jpg

img1226df.jpg

img1227v.jpg

img1228jf.jpg

img1219x.jpg

img1220j.jpg

img1221gv.jpg

img1222x.jpg

img1223j.jpg

I just add this plug, that I drilled, in order to insert the graflex contact tube :

1plugb.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back