Anakin ROTS Hero Comparison - MR LE vs. ROTSFlex vs. Aniflex vs. Low Ground vs. GE Legacy

View attachment 1741026
No complete shots of the stunt(s) and the neck(yet), but this shot right here really makes it look like a Spinflex. The bunny ears are very similar
I thought the same thing about the bunny ears. I was really leaning toward spinflex. But then I saw the ET video and the stunts shown there (which presumably were used at the same time did not show evidence of the thinner neck. It's possible they used both. Hayden did a lot of fancy ROTS twirling, and he trained on the old spinflexes. So, it would make a lot of sense for them to grab one of Shaun's hilts. I just don't know that they did.

I was glad to see how much of Anakin's fighting style they put into the performance. I kinda of imagine Hayden semi-choreographing the thing himself. Saying, you don't need to show me how to fight like Anakin... :)

I thought the same thing about the bunny ears. I was really leaning toward spinflex. But then I saw the ET video and the stunts shown there (which presumably were used at the same time did not show evidence of the thinner neck. It's possible they used both. Hayden did a lot of fancy ROTS twirling, and he trained on the old spinflexes. So, it would make a lot of sense for them to grab one of Shaun's hilts. I just don't know that they did.

I was glad to see how much of Anakin's fighting style they put into the performance. I kinda of imagine Hayden semi-choreographing the thing himself. Saying, you don't need to show me how to fight like Anakin... :)
I agree with you... totally. Probably one of the customs that they did with the Spinflex for porpuses of choreography was use another blade socket with more blade depth. The MK1 allows you remove that piece. (Well, at least that is something that I did with mine) :lol::lol:

There is no evidence at all on a thinner neck. They are using neopixel tech and a thin neck whould have made the dueling impossible. At least that's what they showed on the ET video. Besides the choreography was a lot shorter and less flashy than the battle of the heroes to warrant a thin neck. They just made it easier to wield by reducing the t track height and removing the control box.

There is no evidence at all on a thinner neck. They are using neopixel tech and a thin neck whould have made the dueling impossible. At least that's what they showed on the ET video. Besides the choreography was a lot shorter and less flashy than the battle of the heroes to warrant a thin neck. They just made it easier to wield by reducing the t track height and removing the control box.
Good point. I guess it wouldn’t also make sense to have both the thin neck and this modified stunt. What are your thoughts on the theory of the the Belt Hanger being TXQ?

I have always.....always wanted to love this EpIII design, but I cannot get past that this is just supposed to be the true Graflex one first seen in ANH. This train wreck is just in existence because Hayden complained the Graflex was too big in circumference and thus uncomfortable to use in dueling. The least Lucasfilm should have done is TRY to replicate every detail of the original Graflex, albeit on a slightly smaller scale. This design is a frankensaber of the ANH and ESB sabers.

Don't even get me started on the Graflex changes in ESB. All that should be in existence is the beautiful saber Obi Wan took out of his trunk and handed to Luke. DONE, OVER.

With that said, I do prefer the look of the ESB saber over the ANH, but I am a purist through and through. I am so glad to have one of Romans ANH Graflex props replicas.

P.S. I also have the ESB prop replica, lol.

I have always.....always wanted to love this EpIII design, but I cannot get past that this is just supposed to be the true Graflex one first seen in ANH. This train wreck is just in existence because Hayden complained the Graflex was too big in circumference and thus uncomfortable to use in dueling. The least Lucasfilm should have done is TRY to replicate every detail of the original Graflex, albeit on a slightly smaller scale. This design is a frankensaber of the ANH and ESB sabers.

Don't even get me started on the Graflex changes in ESB. All that should be in existence is the beautiful saber Obi Wan took out of his trunk and handed to Luke. DONE, OVER.

With that said, I do prefer the look of the ESB saber over the ANH, but I am a purist through and through. I am so glad to have one of Romans ANH Graflex props replicas.

* I sincerely doubt that the Skinnyflex was made just because Hayden complained about the Graflex's girth.

* From a filmmaking point of view, there is nothing wrong with the Skinnyflex. The OT props were made from found parts out of necessity. The PT props had the luxury of more money and resources, and so they custom-made stylized recreations of the original found-parts props.

* Just from watching the films--which is the props' intended purpose--you would never know the difference. Same with the ANH/ESB differences. They look the same at first glance.

It's only anal-retentive nerds like us who freeze-frame and study photos and build replicas who care about the differences.

The other day, I put my ESB and ROTS props next to each other and squinted from six feet away. They looked indistinguishable. And, onscreen, that's all that matters. Continuity of props/models/costumes has never been a concern in these movies. From Day One, in fact.

Last edited:
* I sincerely doubt that the Skinnyflex was made just because Hayden complained about the Graflex's girth.

* From a filmmaking point of view, there is nothing wrong with the Skinnyflex. The OT props were made from found parts out of necessity. The PT props had the luxury of more money and resources, and so they custom-made stylized recreations of the found-parts props.

Just by watching the films--which is the props' intended purpose--you would never know the difference. Same with the ANH/ESB differences. They look the same at first glance.

It's only anal-retentive nerds like us who freeze-frame and study photos and build replicas who care about the differences.

The other day, I put my ESB and ROTS props next to each other and squinted from six feet away. They looked indistinguishable. And, onscreen, that's all that matters. Continuity of props/models/costumes has never been a concern in these movies. From Day One, in fact.
Same thing goes with the costumes, to the untrained eye all Vader suits were identical, but we all know they are not.

It's only nerds like us who really care about and notice these differences :lol:

Same thing goes with the costumes, to the untrained eye all Vader suits were identical, but we all know they are not.

It's only nerds like us who really care about and notice these differences :lol:

Exactly.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you asked an average moviegoer about the lightsaber props, they'd probably guess that they all look identical (as opposed to Jedi having individualized designs), and would have no clue that many characters' prop designs were tweaked between films.

Onscreen, the Anakin/Luke/Non-canon Mary Sue saber has the black strip-grips, the control box, the knobs, and the bunny ears in all of its appearances.

That's all that matters. It visually "reads" as the same fictional weapon in all of the films.

…here’s how the Graflex and the Skinnyflex actually appear onscreen. And, when the films are in motion, viewers can’t exactly play “spot the differences” between the props.

IMG_5912.jpeg
IMG_5913.jpeg
IMG_5915.jpeg

Negative…

It's overwhelmingly likely to be a replica, though, yes? Unlike the new Obi-Wan Hermit hilt, this is replicating the hilt from ROTS as Ahsoka remembers Anakin (immediately before the beginning of ROTS).

So, do we suspect this is a currently-available replica? Might be kind of a neat thing, having the same one used onscreen...

It's overwhelmingly likely to be a replica, though, yes? Unlike the new Obi-Wan Hermit hilt, this is replicating the hilt from ROTS as Ahsoka remembers Anakin (immediately before the beginning of ROTS).

So, do we suspect this is a currently-available replica? Might be kind of a neat thing, having the same one used onscreen...

I think most signs are saying that it could be a TXQ...
Capture.jpg

Capture2.jpg
Compare the details such as the emitter, glasseye, diamond band, and length of the Gold Switch.

Capture2.jpg
Capture.jpg

And also another one like the seam on the pommel. The only other replicas have this seam are the Korbanth ROTSFlex/Knight AS3, 89sabers Skinnyflex, and the LGT/Damien. But as seen in those pics, the center band is chromed and not polished aluminum like the ROTSFlex/Knight AS3 or 89 Skinnyflex. And the other details match the TXQ better than the LGT/Damien.

It could be totally possible that it's just a completely custom prop. But why the seamed pommel? I also wish we had more shots of the bunny ears as well as clamp card, since the ears on the TXQ are more squared and clamp card is a bit recessed rather than sitting flushed like the regular ROTS Hero.

Setting aside the fact that I don’t give a flying fig about these shows, it seems pretty obvious that they just grabbed a TXQ or Korbanth for this, just as they grabbed MR sabers for KENOBI. The stunts may be a different story, but we’ll see.

I think most signs are saying that it could be a TXQ... View attachment 1741715
View attachment 1741716Compare the details such as the emitter, glasseye, diamond band, and length of the Gold Switch.

View attachment 1741718View attachment 1741719

And also another one like the seam on the pommel. The only other replicas have this seam are the Korbanth ROTSFlex/Knight AS3, 89sabers Skinnyflex, and the LGT/Damien. But as seen in those pics, the center band is chromed and not polished aluminum like the ROTSFlex/Knight AS3 or 89 Skinnyflex. And the other details match the TXQ better than the LGT/Damien.

It could be totally possible that it's just a completely custom prop. But why the seamed pommel? I also wish we had more shots of the bunny ears as well as clamp card, since the ears on the TXQ are more squared and clamp card is a bit recessed rather than sitting flushed like the regular ROTS Hero.
"So, the circle is now complete. I was once but a replica, now I am the prop!"

Setting aside the fact that I don’t give a flying fig about these shows, it seems pretty obvious that they just grabbed a TXQ or Korbanth for this, just as they grabbed MR sabers for KENOBI. The stunts may be a different story, but we’ll see.
If we watch long enough, they may grab a Kenner one from 1997 and wrap foil tape around it! o_O

Hey guys! I'm watching this group like a hawk in the hopes that someone is able to pinpoint what Hayden used in the ahsoka flashback scene. I'm really hoping it is a ready made prop so we can all jump on it and grab one. Understanding how a production works, the goal is to stay within budget. Considering how much time Anakin is shown, its way cheaper and quicker to buy one ready made than be bothered to build one using the archival blueprints plus that saber would need to be modified to accept electronics. The funny thing now is the saber will now be place in the lucasfilm archive so that anytime they want to wheel out Anakin, they are good to go.

Thanks for the comparison! So many options now compared to the days when everyone was after an Orbital Machining one.

I had the Aniflex which looked great but I didn't like that button activation for fx (which I didn't realize was placed there until after I ordered). Modding it for clamp activation looked like more headache than it was worth so I ended up selling it. I almost ordered the Low Ground but I'm waiting and looking forward to Starkiller's version. I think AS mentioned it won't be fx capable which is fine with me at this point.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back