anakin hair delema

JDFett

ive got my anakin pre suit vader done but have a hair problem...my hair is short. anyone have any good links to any half decent wigs that would help? i purchased a lacey wig that looks more like a mullet :p so i wasnt to impressed with it. i knwo a lot of guys claim to use that particular one which is why i bought it but i kinda think the wig stinks and i want an alternative...suggestions?

Usually to get wigs to look good, in general, you have to brush and style them; sometimes professionally styled. I can only make the same suggestions you've heard already: dunk it in water, comb it, style it, or have someone style it.

I know one guy on the TFN forums got a wig made at a professional place that makes wigs for cancer patients. Made out of real hair. Looks good. But still not perfect.

It's hard to compete with someone's real hair augmented by professional quality extensions like in the movie.

Synthetic wigs just don't hold up to the real thing.

Go to your local wig store or theatrical supply store. Find a good human hair wig that matches your naturual hair color if it is similar to Anakin's hair color and somewhat similar to the style. Then have it styled porffessionally or style it yourself. That's my 2 credits from the front line on this man.

<div class='quotetop'>(OPPI @ Jul 11 2006, 10:35 AM) [snapback]1278648[/snapback]</div>
Anyone else come up with an idea for anakin hair or obi wan hair and beard/mustache?

dan
[/b]

The key to wigs is in the style. You have to work them just like you would real hair to get them to look right. As far as the beard mustache goes, there are books available that teach you to layer crepe hair on your face, but that takes forever and is hard to make look good. The best way to go is with a professionally ventilated facial hair appliance. Not only do they look fantastic, they go on quick and easy.

<div class='quotetop'>(ROTSAnakin @ Jul 11 2006, 10:50 AM) [snapback]1278659[/snapback]</div>
Synthetic wigs just don't hold up to the real thing.

Go to your local wig store or theatrical supply store. Find a good human hair wig that matches your naturual hair color if it is similar to Anakin's hair color and somewhat similar to the style. Then have it styled porffessionally or style it yourself. That's my 2 credits from the front line on this man.
[/b]

Not completely true. This is a "you get what you pay for" thing. You can get really nice synthetic wigs. Cheap synthetic wigs like the kind you find at party stores will naturally look like crap, but a good quality modacrylic wig can look wonderful. Human hair isn't your only option either. They also make wigs from yak hair as well.

I'm just speaking from my experience. But synthetic wigs despite the quality level aren't garanteed to react the same to certain hair products as real hair might. For my money I stepped up and spent the extra amounts and haven't regretted it once. I simply find them far easier to work with and much more realistic. They can be very expensive though as a warning.

Just remember whatever you decide take it slow. And don't get frustrated with it. Or at least if you do step away from it. Remembe rit's not gonig to grow back so you want to be careful when cutting.

You are correct. There is no substitution for real hair. Whether it be human or animal. But a good quality synthetic can be used with most hair products. Like I said before. It's all in the styling of the wig... Well, and knowing how to wear one. I'm a theatrical costumer by trade, and tho I let most of the hair lessons from school go in one ear and out the other, I did pick up a little from the wig girls at work. Tho I usually try to bribe them to style my wigs for me.

But to give you an idea of cost sithlord, I have two wigs currently. One is a cheapo from party city that I made into a pirate wig, and the only reason it works is because I dreaded the hell out of it and wear a bandana around it. The other is a synthetic modacrylic that I got for free from the aforementioned wig girls, and it is very realistic looking and styles easily. The price tag was still on it tho. $120.00. So expect real hair to be more. Yak would be the next step up from that, and human from that. Toby can probably chime in on this one as he has pretty much run the gamut from cheap synthetic to human in his search for the perfect Capt. Jack wig.

I checkid into a custom made wig for a Lord of the Rings costume I was doing... But I needed a hobbitt wig. The place I called does do custom work but it takes a while to get it and the price tag was steep too. About 1500 for the basic wig and they wanted a couple hundred more to make hair pieces for the tops of the feet.
I did find a wig that I was happy with.. but it's all about finding some one who can work on your wig that wont screw it up, and get it set into an accurate style. Good luck.

I have a great wig I use, but I cannot remember the name of the brand. It was from a prosthetic wigs place and then they custom cut it and styled it to what I wanted. Before it was pretty long, but had that wavy quality and from there they styled it good and really got it close for my liking (SORRY, BIG PICTURES):

wig1.jpg

wig2.jpg

wig3.jpg

rots_004.jpg

before v2.0 costume pic:
ryanakin1.jpg

and this is me without the wig to give you an idea of how short my real hair is:
918619029_l.jpg

I paid about $83 for mine. You'd be suprised how nice some of these people are if you bring in photos they'll help you find something that will suit your needs well. My advice would be don't go for the cheap $20 wigs. The one like I have is very comfortable and meant to be worn for long periods of time.

best to you in your project.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back