AMT Studio Series TIE Fighter from ANH

I too got one of these kits for Christmas and so far it's great. My favorite detail -- and I'm so pleasantly surprised by this -- is the accurate recreation of the Kool Shade. The spoke lines (for lack of a better term) recreate the braided texture of the shade and the shade texture has some nice irregularities that catch the light unevenly as the model moves. Nice!

On my kit, I'm recreating the studio model cockpit rather than the studio set. If anyone knows where I can find an accurate 3D file of the modified Harrier pilot, let me know.

I just got one of these for Xmas - great looking kit but one half of the cockpit inner ball was warped quite badly - front top corner was 1/4" out of alignment when bottom & back corners were clipped together - anyone else have this?
Thankfully after soaking in near boiling water for a couple of minutes and a bit of manual encouragement got it back into shape...
Yep, my inner cockpit ball was warped as well. Just CA'd one part at a time and used a few clamps to get it together.

SB

Wow... seems QA may be a little lax on this. That or something is happening in storage/shipping. I struggled to get the bits back into the box after the initial look, maybe it needs a bit more space in there...?
Just saw the AllScaleTrek video - his top hatch was squashed, but boiling water helped sort that out too. Although this may have induced something in the plastic that caused paint adhesion problems later on on that one part.

I too got one of these kits for Christmas and so far it's great. My favorite detail -- and I'm so pleasantly surprised by this -- is the accurate recreation of the Kool Shade. The spoke lines (for lack of a better term) recreate the braided texture of the shade and the shade texture has some nice irregularities that catch the light unevenly as the model moves. Nice!

On my kit, I'm recreating the studio model cockpit rather than the studio set. If anyone knows where I can find an accurate 3D file of the modified Harrier pilot, let me know.
I did something similar with mine minus the pilot.

IMG_4332.jpeg

Nice! It looks like you added the metal armature inside too. Is it actual metal or is it fake?
Fake baby! PVC pipe with 3/8” threaded insert for the stand mount. Does the trick to communicate the idea. If it was truly SS I’d figure out a way to get one made.

Fake baby! PVC pipe with 3/8” threaded insert for the stand mount. Does the trick to communicate the idea. If it was truly SS I’d figure out a way to get one made.

Atta boy! That's exactly what I was thinking because I have some spare plumbing PVC in the garage. A little aluminum duct foil to wrap it and I'll call it a day! It's going to end up partially hidden behind the figure anyway. Just need to find an authentic (enough) Harrier pilot.

I went to great effort to accurately recreate that in 3D. I have some vintage KoolShade in my hand that's the same material that was used on the filming models. I not only measured it with calipers, but also did a 2D flatbed scan at ultra-high resolution so I could get the dimensions and layout just right.

It's possible the factory might have had to fill in some undercuts, but I modeled the "braid" as you call it exactly as it was in the actual material. The louvers, of course, had to be at least somewhat compromised for injection molding as they would have presented severe undercuts.

I went to great effort to accurately recreate that in 3D. I have some vintage KoolShade in my hand that's the same material that was used on the filming models. I not only measured it with calipers, but also did a 2D flatbed scan at ultra-high resolution so I could get the dimensions and layout just right.

It's possible the factory might have had to fill in some undercuts, but I modeled the "braid" as you call it exactly as it was in the actual material. The louvers, of course, had to be at least somewhat compromised for injection molding as they would have presented severe undercuts.
Absolutely brilliant. Such a nice surprise to see when I opened the kit.

I also love that the kit is so accurate it's possible to see exactly how the ILMers cannibalized the standard TIE cockpit ball to be Vader's X-1. Now I'm tempted to get another kit and do the same thing to have the two TIEs in the same scale.

They not only reused the "ball" from the "ball and arms" but also a portion of two wing stars. They cut them up and rotated them. In theory, you could build a matching Vader's TIE from scratch using parts from this AMT kit. :)

They not only reused the "ball" from the "ball and arms" but also a portion of two wing stars. They cut them up and rotated them. In theory, you could build a matching Vader's TIE from scratch using parts from this AMT kit. :)
Yeah, I noticed that too. It looks like some of the solar panel arm supports got cut up for the wings too. My only hesitation in starting a conversion is that I know R2 will announce a kit as soon as I'm halfway finished. :lol:

Star-art, do you (or does anyone else) know the diameter of the original ANH TIE metal armature pipe? I found a variety of potential tubes I could use digging around the house last night, some of them aluminum, and I want to be in the ballpark.

I assume that when the ILMers were mounting the TIE through the front of the model that the cockpit windscreen and pilot would've been removed for access, but it would also seem that the cockpit "modesty panel" would also need to come out for the mounting rod to have straight access to the armature. Could it be that the entire cockpit was a single module to remove? The back wall of the cockpit is clearly open in some photos, so I wonder what pieces stayed in the model while being photographed and what pieces didn't.
Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 10.12.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 10.25.55 PM.png

Just whipped this together. It doesn't yet account for the slight curve in the "modesty panel," but I just want to get the dimensions close. It's about 2.5cm deep.
Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 11.03.41 AM.png

Other than the "modesty panel" (as I call it) I didn't study the interior of the filming model that much as I had no intention of recreating any of it.

As for the armature, I think it might have been 1 1/4" OD aluminum tube. But, don't quote me on that! ;)

Other than the "modesty panel" (as I call it) I didn't study the interior of the filming model that much as I had no intention of recreating any of it.

As for the armature, I think it might have been 1 1/4" OD aluminum tube. But, don't quote me on that! ;)

Close enough for me. So the AMT kit is approximately 75% the size of the real studio scale, right? So a little under 1" OD tube should be accurate(ish).

Hi @ Hunk a Junk, have you seen Jonathan Faber's SS TIE build over on the Studio Scale section?

20161202_162242-1.jpg

20230316_202750.jpg

This armature is the what the parts are assembled on top of so if you are looking for the diameter of the pipe, just take it from the kit you have

I do remember you & I suggesting that perhaps Round2 could offer optional 'Studio' interior parts for this kit

J

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back