American Sniper (Post-release)

I don't know about the uniform, but I didn't see him use an Accuracy International at any point, and I thought he mainly used the AI and the Tac-338. I might be wrong.

I don't know about the uniform, but I didn't see him use an Accuracy International at any point, and I thought he mainly used the AI and the Tac-338. I might be wrong.

In the book he mentions that he used several different rifles during his times in Iraq and which rifle he used would depend on where exactly he was. For urban environments he would favor a .308 (I forget the exact designation but I think it's an SR25 variant), a .300 Wing Mag for more open terrain, I think he said that he rarely got to use the .338 Lapua Magnum.

While I haven't seen the movie yet my guess would be that his uniform would have been fairly accurate, being a SEAL he would have had a lot of latitude in what he wore. Since this is pre-AOR he probably would have worn mainly the DCU but mixed and matched with other components. At one point he also mentions having been given and wearing some MARPATs because of issues with his own uniform being heavily blood stained or something.

I think this is a brilliant film and perfectly understated performance.

The story treatment was about as good as could be expected within the confines of a 2 hour piece. (I would have liked to see his story as a miniseries.)

I think it's a masterful touch Eastwood has in that he does NOT construct a propulsive narrative or inflate the drama to Hollywood proportions.

I love this film. Because it's so understated I think it'll be underappreciated by folks accustomed to absurdist war fantasies, like Platoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed this film (not as in I loved what happened... it was brutal).

Some things that bugged me was the fact they didn't follow events of how they were told in the book to how it was done in the movie. I wish they would have stuck to just trying to make it the most accurate account of things based on all the source material instead of changing some elements for dramatic purposes. Sure some things have to be filled in with what can only be interpretation or no information, but where there was information, it wasn't followed exactly. I read that that Kyle did NOT shoot the child in the beginning, but the part with the woman was right, for example.

My only other big thing I'm not a fan of is when they go through all the trouble to tell a good story and then all of the sudden after going to black say what happens next and then THE END. I know there's still trials in limbo, but it just seems incomplete to me since all that court stuff is going on. Maybe wait til everything's closed book before making the film that is supposed to be the story of Kyle. I'm not asking to show all the gritty details of what happened next, but maybe something leading up to it. It was abrupt from an editing standpoint.

It was a great movie overall. I just wished after the fact reading not entirely accurate to the written accounts of Kyle's book.

P.S. OMG what was with the terribly done fake babies?!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back