"Amazing" Star Wars "Discovery"

Because Steve Sansweet hired him back in 2000 to get the Star Wars website up and running, and, with all of the stuff he had to winnow through for material to post, even before the formation of the Story Group in '08 people were looking to him for continuity and fact checking. It's been his job for over a decade to essentially know every frame of the films, Clone Wars, and Rebels... but mainly the films. The number of things he and Leland have gotten wrong or didn't know is inexcusable for being experts in their positions.

It's pretty interesting that many of the people here on theRPF know BOTH the lore and production of the films better than some of the people that work at Lucasfilm. I couldn't say with confidence that I am one of them, but still.

Well there is a reason a lot of the collectible companies consult people on here about costumes and props for their products. There are probably more actual experts on specific props or costumes here than at Lucasfilm. Even some of the people who worked on the movies have gotten confused over some details on certain props recently.

Let's be frank here. Pablo can't know about every prop's history and background. However, when Pablo "discovered" this NY graflex point, why didn't he simply google his "finding" to verify that he just discovered a novel (or uncommon) point. The fact that he didn't indicates intellectual laziness, which is not uncommon these days. But when you have the internet at your fingertips, why not double check?

Let's be frank here. Pablo can't know about every prop's history and background. However, when Pablo "discovered" this NY graflex point, why didn't he simply google his "finding" to verify that he just discovered a novel (or uncommon) point. The fact that he didn't indicates intellectual laziness, which is not uncommon these days. But when you have the internet at your fingertips, why not double check?
People refusing to Google simple concepts these days is amazingly pathetic. I moderate a large Jurassic Park fan group on Facebook, and it's amazing how many simple concepts people pose questions about that could be answered in 5 seconds over Google. Literally the WORLD at people's fingertips, and they're too lazy to type in their query.

I was going to provide a 'Let me Google that for you' but thanks to Hidalgo's discovery, the Internet now thinks he did find it first. :sick:

The worst part is, he isn't claiming he discovered this. He just noticed it for the first time himself. The frikkin' internet are the twits saying he discovered this "never before seen goof!". If only he had JFGI and seen that we have that pic among all the thousands we have pored over for decades to replicate the props, and then if only he'd posted something like... "Just noticed the thing. Googled it and discovered the Star Wars prop community has known about this for years. I know a lot, but sometimes I feel like such a noob." we'd've been a lot more forgiving...

The worst part is, he isn't claiming he discovered this. He just noticed it for the first time himself. The frikkin' internet are the twits saying he discovered this "never before seen goof!". If only he had JFGI and seen that we have that pic among all the thousands we have pored over for decades to replicate the props, and then if only he'd posted something like... "Just noticed the thing. Googled it and discovered the Star Wars prop community has known about this for years. I know a lot, but sometimes I feel like such a noob." we'd've been a lot more forgiving...
That's what happens all the time. Things that the fan experts have known for years gets noticed by somebody with a bigger name, and suddenly they get the discovery credit. So it becomes, "well according to X fan" when the real credit ought to go to the actual evidence itself.

What's worse is when the big name has no morals and takes their credit and runs with it, making up things they have no idea about that is completely wrong, but gets taken by fact by the layman. And then it becomes incredibly difficult to debunk the false facts and get the real ones out there.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back