Amazing Spiderman Putting together your Suit

Anyone know how the Tulip puff paint 1 1/4 bottle compares to the 4 oz bottle shape and handling wise?

The 4 oz bottle is heavy and over time it affects the quality of my lines (jagged and all over the place).

I haven't used a 1 1/4 oz Tulip bottle, but I use something similar in size. I put the paint into a 1 oz applicator bottle with which I can use metal tips. I find it much easier to handle though I have to refill it frequently.

Is there anything to put on lenses, like Joelai's, to prevent fogging up?

The trick I use I learned from a competitive swimmer because he used it for the inside of his swimming goggles.

1. Wipe a light coat of baby shampoo on the inside and let it dry. It's best if you put it on when you are putting the costume away after you are done wearing it for the next time you pu *** on.

2. Wipe off with a minimal amount of water right before you put it on. Because it's shampoo(soap) it will resist fogging, but because it is baby shampoo it won't burn if you happen to get some in your eyes.

Like I mentioned earlier, when putting your suit away for the next wear just wipe a dab in and let it dry and you'll be ready to go for next time.

Now that I have all of my materials together and am ready to get started, I do have a few questions.

1. Is it better to paint before or after it is sewn? I understand that it's easier to paint if it's not sewn, but that you also don't have to worry about stretching the fabric if it's sewn and on a ducktape mannequin of yourself.

2. Can anybody who has done the entire suit testify as to the durability of the puff paint? I absolutely want to suit the be as accurate as possible, but I also know how much more mantainence goes into a suit that has unrethane webbing. Does the puff paint hold up to hours of posing?

It'll be easier on you if you paint it before sewing it. You will be able to get a more neat finish. When it's on a mannequin it can be tough to get to some spots plus your more prone to wobbly lines.
And yes the paint will stay on. I wore mine for something like 5hrs straight with no problems. The only place I find the paint can come off is on the front of the neck. It has to be stretched quite a lot to get over your head and the paint can tend to peel off over time.
But again, that's not a problem. It always peels off cleanly and you can just repaint that section.

This may be a question best suited for Nick.....is it possible to do a zipper that starts at the belt and goes straight up the spine to the top/back of the head? My thought is to have the same benefit of the drop hood but also use it to get into the suit as well. This also would help to alleviate the paint from peeling from the neck since it would not need to stretch to my head circumference.

Hi guys, I've just got my pattern file & I'm waiting to get the funds to have it printed. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how many bottles of each colour puff paint is needed to do the entire suit? I'm around 5'10" and will be buying 4oz bottles. Just want to make sure I have enough to do the whole suit before I get it sewn.

Also, what do people recommend for zipper placement? Ideally I would like to have the mask separate but judging by what people have said on here there may not be enough spare material to make a turtle neck on the body so there is no gap, suppose it would only need a couple of inches of red material since it will be going under the neck of the mask?
If the mask was separate would a zipper running down the middle of the back to the waist work?

Cheers guys

Spit! It's what divers use and yes it works! But really you can get anti fog cloths for skiing that work really well and I think there is a fluid/spray.

Last edited:
Also, what do people recommend for zipper placement? Ideally I would like to have the mask separate but judging by what people have said on here there may not be enough spare material to make a turtle neck on the body so there is no gap, suppose it would only need a couple of inches of red material since it will be going under the neck of the mask?
If the mask was separate would a zipper running down the middle of the back to the waist work?

Cheers guys[/QUOTE]

For the Broadway Spider Man they cut the one piece face out and wore another hood over the top and NO ZIPPERS at the neck! Yes you can run a zipper down the center back as long as you aren't going to put an logos there. An invisible zipper should make it look like a seam if it's properly inserted. Not and easy task to get everthing to match but It will fit you better at the waist and underarm/side seam.

I just have a quick question about attaching the costume to the sneakers. I have Shoe Goo. I have not removed the insole yet. I was planning on removing the insole, putting it inside the costume, then gluing the costume to the shoe. Has anyone tried this? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to glue the costume to the shoe. I also haven't removed the back padding of the ASIC...otherwise, the shoe will be too big.

Thread bump to ask about getting a file that's able to be scaled, or being pointed in the direction of someone willing to scale the pattern for me for a print. I'm looking at a few different options for making my own Spidey suit, but since I'm not a tall lean guy (and am in fact an average height curvy girl), it's a bit tougher to find something.

I'm nearly done with something for people on my runs. (It's like a 35 page PDF and may be longer than that when done)

I may make something a lot shorter and more visual for the forum in general at some point when I have more time. The difficulty is in designing it to work with all of our patterns and the different prints that are on them. There are no universal registration keys.

Hey Nick - any updates on said pdf or visual guide?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back