Alumilite vs. Smooth-on vs. Polytek vs. Vagabond (vs. any other suggestions)???

treble

machine56's deviantART gallery

Alumilite - Q & A Forum

I am planning on making a wearable helmet similar to the one in the website link picture. I just have a few questions:

1.What brand/what product(s) of that brand do you recommend? I was wondering how I can accomplish this without pouring more money into it than I have to/with the least amount of money possible. Also, in the link for the Alumilite forum, this guy says that it might not be a good idea to have the cured piece on your skin. Is there a reason why? Do the other 3 brands have the same issue?

2. For my helmet I need to see through the visor I am designing. Can the clear resins be used to make a clear see through visor? Can you add something to the clear resin to make it have color and be see-through? Any advice on making a one way mirror effect (you can see out, but no one can see in)? How thick does it need to be to be strong enough and still see through, if possible, and can it be brushed/slushed?

3. How thick does the plastic have to be for it to be strong enough to be handled and worn for extended periods?

4. Are there any other brands I should know of that are good?

5.Are there alternatives to using casting resin like this, fiberglass, vacuum forming, etc.?

Thanks

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back