Allen Bolts - OT Stunt Sabers

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I wanted to start a new thread, as to not derail the ANH spinning stunt prop unearthed from the Archives.
Let's discuss this new idea we might be onto - we've seen at least 3 bladed stunts use Allen Bolts. Most likely this was to center and hold the blades or blade sleeves in place?

Here are some photos.

ANH Stunt - converted for ESB or ROTJ with black tape and Allen Bolts

Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 6.24.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-04-20 at 6.24.51 PM.png Credit Kurtyboy

ESB Bladed Graflex - Allen Bolt on this side
Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 6.00.27 PM.pngCredit Kurtyboy flex1-vi.jpg Credit JamesKenobi

Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 6.00.44 PM.pngCredit Kurtyboy

ROTJ "Vader"
LFA_DVROTJ_hexnuts.jpgLFA_RVROTJ_controlbox.jpg

Possibly the Barbican, if it was used for fencing - there's a shot of the inside of the emitter and it looks like it was used.
barbicanbutton.jpg

Also - possibly this stunt as well. it looks like an ESB MPP with wires and everything. If that circle is a reflection, I'll delete it from this post.
empire07b-vi.jpg

Nice . . . I'm not certain that MPP has an Allen Head Screw . . . could be a reflection of some kind . . . but you could also be onto something new ... the Barbican has a different kind of black screw, but is seems to mimic an Allen Head Screw . . . Then to think there's a continuity/script girl on set . . . yet when it comes to lightsabers ... everything goes or so it seems ... as long as it looks good enough in a moving picture frame ... thanks George Lucas for fooling us that long . . . until Bluray :)

Chaim

Last edited:
In that other thread, James Kenobi just noted something in that video. The blades for the ANH stunt were embedded in some aluminum stock, with holes for the allen bolts. This entire insert was slid into the handle.

I'd like to add this picture to illustrate what's going on inside, Thanks to Chaim for this shot!

Schermafbeelding 2015-04-10 om 13.55.45_zpsp3bve9sf.png

In the bottom of the shot you see a bladed saber that's just a small chunk. That's an insert, with countersunk holes for Allen bolts. I'm guessing it's for the ANH stunt, considering the placement of the holes.

LFA_RVROTJ_controlbox.jpg
We've all wondered about the construction of the ROTJ Vader saber - the placement of the Allen screws means the insert for the blade must go MUCH lower than the ANH one above. Nearly to the clamp at least.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back