Aliens: Colonial Marines

I wouldn't say that it's a terribly frightening game, but I'm not all that easy to scare to begin with. I've had some tough fights so far, funnily enough finding the human opponents most difficult. As almost everyone will agree, sure, there's room for extra polish, but I'm still having a good time. Far from the flaming it's been getting. I guess it's largely due to the hype. Perhaps companies might rethink their strategies with what and how much they give away before a release. Be it a game or a movie, it's as if too much is on display during the lead up, then come release time, people are almost bored with the thing. It's kind of like government election time. Among all the promises and plans they tout to get your vote, once they're in, inevitably a lot will get forgotten or left out.

That video is going over differences from the demo video and the final game. If you go waaaaay back to the demo of the original Aliens vs Predator the effect for the flares and how they light things is totally different from the final version as well, and not as good as the demo if you ask me,. Not defending the slide back in quality just pointing this out.

Flares? Everything that's misleading from this demo involving the character interactions, texture detail, lighting, cutscenes, game play, texture detail, enemy AI, ect, are on the same level as the reduced flare detail from AVP? Aliens: Colonial Marines wishes it only had problems with flares. Is flares even a mechanic in the game?

As almost everyone will agree, sure, there's room for extra polish, but I'm still having a good time. Far from the flaming it's been getting.

Gotta say, I'm with him. It's a fun enough game. Could it have been better? Almost certainly and never did I feel that so keenly as when I saw the comparison video with the demo - but its a servicable PC game in my mind. I'm also hoping a mod team will pick it up and turn it into the game it should have been.:thumbsup

Having played it tonight on PS3, I have to say it's not half as bad as it's being made out to be.....It's no Modern Warfare.....But it's not a bad little shooter...It's lovely being in the environments I'd seen on the film, and the sounds and actual environments themselves are great to explore....The Xenomorphs themselves aren't miles off, and despite looking a little silly when they get shot, aren't over the top bad....Just "meh"..

I'm glad I have it, although I'd have been vexed to have paid more than I did for the game..It's worth it for 50 dollars or so...I can't complain....

Music is great, game is decently jumpy and nervous, and the film fills in the rest for me well enough to carry it through...

Not stellar, but more than decent.

Music is great, game is decently jumpy and nervous, and the film fills in the rest for me well enough to carry it through...
Good point. I'd have to say that the music is definitely one of the stand out winners on this game. Very reminiscent of the film and crafted well to fit into the game. Plus you can't not love the sounds of the Pulse Rifle. Very authentic.

The gist I get from the leaks about development indicate that they really didn't develop the game at all these last six years.. it sat unworked-on until Sega stopped giving them extensions and they had to cobble something together in about six months based on five year old assets.

Having actually played it, it's not bad.. it is quite moody and tense in some situations (granted, I'm not that far into it, I'm still on the Sulaco). But it's nothing particularly groundbreaking. The worst part is that it quite simply isn't the game that they advertised, nor the one that that could have given us if they had actually devoted any serious effort to it. Despite their words, they simply didn't care one whit about this game.

This video on The Escapist talks about that demo, not in terms of the difference in appearance, but simply that most of what was in the demo is not in the game at all, in any way, shape, or form. They effectively advertised a bunch of stuff that that doesn't exist. I can feel this guy's pain, he's a huge fan of the franchise and was looking forward to it in a bad way. He also has the benefit of being a games reviewer, and the solemn duty/privilege to tear the game to shreds in his official review.

I don't think Gearbox will be getting much more work between all the issues the game have including the differences between the "demo" video and actual game graphics and their pulling this crap with Duke Nukem and probably other games they did. The shame of it is they own the rights to Duke, at least the Aliens franchise can move to another game company.

I'm glad to hear that the game isn't as bad as it was being made out to be, for a while there I was beginning to worry that I wasted my money by buying it. Now that I've finally gotten my product code from Sega I can, hopefully, install it and get a little play time tonight.

Your issue with the product code reminds me when I bought the first Iron Man movie game from sega for my PC and it turns out they all came with an issue where it wouldn't install from the disc at all. Ended up having to take it back. Apparently some of them got out of the factory to retailers before they were caught.

I think the biggest disappointment is that they try to pass this off as a $60 game.

I have played $30-40 games that have bad graphics and AI and I'm not disappointed because the price made me lower my expectations.

Was some other company working on this before and it got handed off to Gearbox? They seem to be taking on the mantle of "rescuer of vaporware." Actually "rescuer" may be a bit strong...

Was some other company working on this before and it got handed off to Gearbox? They seem to be taking on the mantle of "rescuer of vaporware." Actually "rescuer" may be a bit strong...

Nope. It's been in Gearbox's hands since the mid-2000s. They started and stopped working on it a few times over the years.

Sad part is it's still better than Mass Effect 3 lol. Gearbox seems to have a lot of issues with stopping and starting projects yet they do fine with getting the Borderlands series out on time with no issues. Mind you to me the first one looks like a PS1 game.

There looks to be a bunch of fresh props for me to build in this game.
I've completely disregarded the dismal reviews of this game. I think it's pretty damn good (save for some of the dialogue) and it's clearly a game for Aliens nerd, by Aliens nerds.

...that's just my two cents...

for Aliens nerd, by Aliens nerds.

I don't know. Most nerd conventions I take part in don't normally involve deception and false advertising. And I think a good chunk of Aliens nerds would agree that Alien3 should have been ignored completely rather than going out of their way to acknowledge it.

Let's look at the upside - At least now we will have some really HD models to make pepakura files for all of the guns and the armor and the power loader and stuff.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back