Aliens Brown Bess using Tamiya acrylics

Palantirion

While I posted this info in my VP70 build I thought it might be good to post just the Brown Bess paint info as a standalone, since it's a significant topic for a variety of Aliens props.

In short, while there are many different options to substitute for the unobtanium Humbrol color(s!) the ones I found online were either not accurate enough for me or used paints I didn't have on hand for my build. I really like Tamiya acrylics for their durability, ease of use, and more importantly their accessibility and consistency. This company isn't going anywhere, and it's pretty easy to find most colors at most local hobby shops and super easy online.

This was my primary reference for the color. Understanding that this was NOT a hero prop, and it's been weathered during production and possibly had color shift since production.

028bb7d7a1482b4bef0942235f4ee1fc-o.jpg

After a fair bit of mixing this was my formula. Appx. 35% XF-51 and 65% XF-68. This was by eye, so not an exact value. If mixing again I'd start with 40% XF-51 and expect to mix in additional XF-68 until it looks good. REMEMBER that the color will shift as it dries, and may shift when cleared too. So have a hair drier handy when mixing to test samples!
23,08-24 (15).jpg

This is my VP70 painted and without any clearcoat. It is slightly weathered, including an extremely light Starship Filth wash and wipedown. This pic was under slightly warm light. The color shifts slightly browner.
23,08-28 (21).jpg

Also under slightly warm light, and maybe slightly over-exposed.
23,09-01 (20).jpg

And under a cooler day light (combination of skylight and cold LEDs). Notice how it shifts greener.
23,09-01 (34).jpg

8b5b2j.jpg

or Tamiya make "Brown Boss" and it happens by chance to be the same. I love Tamiya paint.

Last edited:
While I posted this info in my VP70 build I thought it might be good to post just the Brown Bess paint info as a standalone, since it's a significant topic for a variety of Aliens props.

In short, while there are many different options to substitute for the unobtanium Humbrol color(s!) the ones I found online were either not accurate enough for me or used paints I didn't have on hand for my build. I really like Tamiya acrylics for their durability, ease of use, and more importantly their accessibility and consistency. This company isn't going anywhere, and it's pretty easy to find most colors at most local hobby shops and super easy online.

This was my primary reference for the color. Understanding that this was NOT a hero prop, and it's been weathered during production and possibly had color shift since production.

028bb7d7a1482b4bef0942235f4ee1fc-o.jpg

After a fair bit of mixing this was my formula. Appx. 35% XF-51 and 65% XF-68. This was by eye, so not an exact value. If mixing again I'd start with 40% XF-51 and expect to mix in additional XF-68 until it looks good. REMEMBER that the color will shift as it dries, and may shift when cleared too. So have a hair drier handy when mixing to test samples!
View attachment 1753306

This is my VP70 painted and without any clearcoat. It is slightly weathered, including an extremely light Starship Filth wash and wipedown. This pic was under slightly warm light. The color shifts slightly browner.
View attachment 1753307

Also under slightly warm light, and maybe slightly over-exposed.
View attachment 1753308

And under a cooler day light (combination of skylight and cold LEDs). Notice how it shifts greener.
View attachment 1753309
Thanks for the info and great prop also:cool::cool:(y)(y)

There's SMS Blaster Brown that was listed in the Nerf PR thread.
- I noticed there were several lacquer and enamel alternatives in various threads, but no readily accessible acrylic options. That's why I chose to make one using Tamiya acrylics.

And also because I trust my own color adjustment using Propstore's photo reference more than I trust what I've seen from replica companies. I have a wall of Alien's replicas (and props) and there are several replicas with "Brown Bess". From my memory none of them match, even two from the same company.

There's quite a few threads about the best Brown Bess colour matches over on the Aliens Legacy forums (as you can probably imagine, a hotly debated topic). THIS THREAD has some excellent paint sample comparisons, including vs an original prop. YMMV, but hopefully it's of you to you :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back