Alien's Blood Damage?

spankygnarkill

Hey Guys!
I'm sorta new to the site, joined like a month ago, and I'm making my costume for Halloween '10 now, and its gonna be a pred.

Anyway, I wanna make the armor outta foamies, like many of you have suggested, cause its
A. Cheap
B. Easy to work with and find.

Anyways, I want my pred armor to to look like it has taken an alien blood splash of some kind, and i almost wanna melt the foamies with Acetone or something, but i wanted to check if anyone had done anything like this prior, or any hints as to the best way to make it realistic looking and what not.

I would take some scrap foamies and experiment. You want to be very careful with the acetone since it will eat the foam rather quickly.

Btw I see you are familuar with the works of Shan Yu :)

I had thought about a sauldering iron, and I'm actually going to run a mock up chest piece from vinmanmac's AVP armor templates, but scale it down, and squirt random chemicals in the shed on it tonight. and maybe I'll try a direct heat source like a sauldering iron. I'll post later for anyone else who is curious.

Well we figured something out, penetrating catalyst, gas, brake fluid, acetone, and xyline(sp?), and mineral spirits don't work. However-
When we sauldered it, It didnt work out as well as we hoped, and we tried dropping hot saulder on it, and it kinda melted it but left saulder in the hole.

Break thru happened when we welded on a steel bar next to the foam. it meltedit rather well, and did a good job making the armor look scarred, but alas, it did not yeild sufficient results for my original intentions.

This is what we managed to do to it, painted gold to show contrast in the melted parts and whatnot.
0119102038-00.jpg

This side is what happened to it when we sauldered it.
0119102038-01.jpg

So over all, a general failure thus far :) . LUckily my dad works at a plant that researches polymers, so he can get me TFC, a very aggressive solvent that they use to clean down to the molecule. :p

But on the plus side, I think welding and grinding next to a piece of armor so the sparks will fly would really make the armor look nicely damaged.

0119102038-00.jpg

0119102038-01.jpg

I think it looks good as well, but I didnt achieve the melted effect I was looking for, but I think I'm going to definitaly damage all the armor pieces like that

Well, I did experiments with every chemical that I could find, Even industrial chemicals didnt seem to work. The best way to replicate the melting with foamies looks like taking a torch to it. Or welding/grinding right next to it.

I would be tempted to grab a limb from a Bon fire with a red hot ember and just dab in a pattern along a line
to simulate a stream going across. I bet it would work.

Have you tried sulfuric acid? Just a thought...

* Billy Sole is not responsible for any mangling, deformities, or skin melting that may occour.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back