Airwolf in real 1:1 scale replica

Steven W Stull

I am new here and posted this under the costume section. It is more a full scale prop.

I introduced myself a little while back and posted a link to my carbon copy of the screen used Airwolf flight suits and Fully Functional Airwolf helmets. I stepped up the challenge and I am nearly completed with a full size 1:1 carbon copy of Airwolf her self. This is being done for a museum in Pigeon Forge Tenn. The musume is a ground up ultra modern Helicopter museum and Airwolf is in the Hollywood helicopter section. Ship is complete with ADF belly launcher and the side mount chain guns. The side pods I made from scratch by taking templates off the surviving Airwolf screen used parts. The link here will take you to the story and massive photos showing how I did this step by step.
Airwolf will be suspended from the steel beams in the museum with gear up and in full combat mode. This is not a close replica, But a carbon copy.
Enjoy the photos and Please let me know what you think.
http://projects.airwolf.tv/ssmockup/index.html
Steven W Stull

Can't wait to see her in person. One of the most awesome props ever. Thanks for giving us some insight into the construction. :thumbsup

Bill

Steven, I've been following your Airwolf photo updates for some time now. INCREDIBLE JOB... Thanks for bringing "The Lady" back to life again for all of us. I look forward to more pics.

<div class='quotetop'>(SmilingOtter @ Jun 20 2006, 01:54 AM) [snapback]1264277[/snapback]</div>
You have my complete approval.

Is Pigeon Forge the same thing as "Dollywood?"
[/b]

Yes. The owner that contracted me to make Airwolf again owns the land directly across from Dollywood. He and his wife own a very successful Helicopter tour business. On this land is the Heliport and now the new museum. They have been providing tours throughout the Smokey Mountains.
This Airwolf will be about 40 feet suspended from the floor in a downward sweep as if attacking. The dash is complete with stage instruments and seats and will have a maniquin where String sat in one of my Airwolf suits and a Airwolf helmet on.
Neat stuff.
Steven W Stull

Steve, I hadn't seen any updated photos until now. I am BLOWN away. This is one amazing project and I cannot WAIT to come visit it in the museum. I am so thankful that you brought this project to life .
Might I suggest you hire a sculptor here to make a Jan Michael Vincent head to mount to the mannequin just for added realism?

Very cool, thanks for posting. Just out of curiosity, how much does an out of service airframe like that cost?

<div class='quotetop'>(yt @ Jun 20 2006, 02:45 AM) [snapback]1264303[/snapback]</div>
Very cool, thanks for posting. Just out of curiosity, how much does an out of service airframe like that cost?
[/b]
HeyYT: This airframe came from a company in Texas that specializes in Bell222's. There were not many made and very few still in service. This company takes 222's like Airwolf and decommissions them and sells the parts to keep the others in service. This one just came in and was aquired. Basic flat is $10,000.00 with no engines , aviontics , blades , interior , etc. All these items had to be purchased back. This ship is now complete with blades and swash plate tail rotors and lights and front seats. She in all looks as if it could fly and no one would know different. However, She will not fly again. Putting this ship into Airwolf dress and bringing the 222 back up to looking to fly again has a ticket of around $150,000.00 to $200,000.00.
Big time prop here. I am very proud that I was chosen to recreate her.
Steven W Stull

Holy crap that's nice. This has got to be the single largest prop I've ever seen constructed by someone on the RPF.

The good news is, I live about 6 hours from Pigeon Forge. I was there last month and I think I know where that museum is. Guess I'll have to go check it out sometime.

So. Cool. The ultimate prop. Loved Airwolf, and love this recreation. How fortunate that you got to do this. Beautiful work. I'll have to see it in person someday.

Very cool.

Will you make the chain guns run on propane (sp?) like in the show or will they not do anything?

Also, where is the original AW now? Or does anyone know...?

{EDIT: Answered my own question...}

From IMDB:

After the show was cancelled the chopper was sold to a German firm. Airwolf - as a Bell 222 - flew as an air ambulance, and eventually crashed on 9 June 1991, during a thunderstorm, killing all three passengers.

Holy cow. This is fabulous. Very nice work, kudos. I wish I was closer, geographically speaking so I could go see her with my own eyes.

Jay

<div class='quotetop'>(DrStranglove @ Jun 20 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]1264629[/snapback]</div>
An interesting question occured to me. If the original Bell 222 crashed and burned, how do you cast parts of the original?
[/b]
The Bell 222A air frame is the same as Airwolf's that was in the crash. However, The parts that made it Airwolf were all removed at the end of the third season of shooting. The side huge side panels and the chain guns and the front radar nose scoop plus all the miniature props that were used for special affects are now in the hands of one Collector. Clark Van Holten in north Florida. I drove to Clarks and we spent two days making templates from the only panels ever that were on Airwolf. Please feel free to download this file on the remaining Airwolf parts and what they look like today. Not only that, Clark and Mark Cairns from Airwolf themes.com visited the crew, actors and directors from the show and did a write up on the events. Clark publishes The Wolf's Lair Magazine and this file is on the first issue. Great history that many do not know..

Steven W Stull

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back