Adam Savage EDC Bag / Pouch Build Resources

factotumindust

Hi there everyone!

Me and my young minions have downloaded plans to build (at this stage) the EDCone, EDCthree and EDCpouch from Savage Industries / Mafia Bags.

I thought some people would be interested in some of the build resources. We are based "over the pond" here in Perth, Australia and some of the materials here in "Wait Awhile" are either not available or stupidly costly so it's mail order to the rescue.

Anyhow, over the next few days I hope to post some of the resources we have found and hope that others here might be able to locate others / better. We also hope to discuss / clarify some of the parts used and why...

Thanks!

What the hell are we talking about? : DIY

Construction video :

In no particular order here is a "brain dump" on some of the things learned so far...

Sewing Primer :

Bonded polyester seems to be the recommended thread for bags. M30 / T70 is a thickness regularly referred to as suitable for “good domestic sewing machines” (vs industrial sewing machines).

Top Stitch – typically done ¼” (6mm) from the edge (can be done with a thinner thread in the bobbin)

Stay Stitch – typically done 1/8” (3mm) from the edge in a single layer of fabric

(more here : Why Staystitching Is Soooo Important)

Edge Stitch – typically done 1/8” (3mm) from the edge

Webbing Primer :

Probably worth reading this to see the differences between polypropylene / nylon / polyester :

Webbing, Strapping and Narrow Fabrics - Strapworks

Not sure which type is used in the Savage Industries / Mafia Bags items.

The term “tape” is often used – this seems to suggest binding instead of webbing.

And if you are wondering what “grosgrain” means – that’s the ribbing pattern that runs the width of some webbings (and evident in most ribbons)

Resources for Australia :

Living here in Australia (particularly here in Perth, Western Australia aka “Wait Awhile”) has its disadvantages with local supply at times.

Major craft / haberdashery supplier Spotlight has many of the things needed but every time I go there the place looks like it’s just been raided by looters before a craft apocalypse. I have however recently discovered Vardhman which seems to have pretty much everything at reasonable prices / shipping.

Vardhman Threads

Other Reading :

Some other good general bag words :

Making Beautiful Bags | Seamwork Magazine

Alternate Fabrics :

Sails are an obvious choice due to the strength / weight ratio.

Some other textiles we are playing with :

“Washable cardboard” – trade names include Kraft-Tex

Polyolefin / Polyester fabric – we recovered a huge amount of waterproof fabric taken from custom printed outdoor gazebo skins used for a road show then discarded

PVC “canvas” – again some discarded / damaged marquee skins look promising (pretty sure this is the same stuff the size panels of cargo trucks (“tauttliners”) are made from

Billboards / bus shelter posters – these seem to range from thin Tyvek to heavier PVC coated polyester

So I got around to having a crack at the EDC Pouch (large) in mid January and figured it was time to share some photos.

Hope you enjoy!

edcpouch001.pngedcpouch002.pngedcpouch003.pngedcpouch004.pngedcpouch005.pngedcpouch006.png

Up next - EDC Three!

Looks great!

I have ZERO sewing experience, although my wife has a decent machine. Do you think an EDC bag or pouch would be doable for an absolute beginner?

Sean

So I got around to having a crack at the EDC Pouch (large) in mid January and figured it was time to share some photos.

Hope you enjoy!

View attachment 1280793View attachment 1280794View attachment 1280795View attachment 1280796View attachment 1280797View attachment 1280798

Up next - EDC Three!
I've sewn 3 of these bags so far, and while each one is getting better, I'm still having a hell of a touch time attaching the larger side panels to the top/bottom strips so that all of the corners line up and look crisp. I've found a few videos on youtube that show how to round a corner like this, but I'm still struggling. Did you happen to take any photos of your process of attaching the outer panels and the top/bottom pieces?

I’ve found a few things help :

* Make sure the templates / cut fabrics are accurate
* Too many fabric clips (I assume you are using them) are never enough
* Tension is crucial in not having the alignment of the two panels creep
* Doing a temporary sew at key anchor points helps (and just over sew)
* Some corners don’t work as expected - I’ve had luck with unpicking them, making them look better (poking with the end of a pencil) and over sewing
* Putting a diagonal cut in the corner of one piece sometimes help it bend / form better (especially when I was using PVC coated canvas)
* Ironing a shape in (if the fabric supports it) such as a fold or angle can help everything line up
* Coffee, good light and patience
* I can appreciate the search for perfection but don’t get lost in it - the bumps and blemishes add character and authenticity

Happy sewing!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back