ACTORS WHO SHOULD STAY AS SUPPORTING PLAYERS...rant...

joker-scar

Ok. It’s Sunday morning/noonish and I’m slightly bored so I will add a basically a mindless thread for a lazy Sunday afternoon read for all of you. Today’s superficial topic...Hollywood actors. :sick I’m gonna start my faux rant and hopefully some fanatic Bill Pullman fan will come out of the closet and get a really juicy and heated debate going. :angry You never know how these threads will end up. Someone says something in jest and then, bing, bang, boom someone’s lying on the pavement with a bloody sheet draped over them. So here goes... ACTORS WHO SHOULD STAY AS SUPPORTING PLAYERS...

1. BILL PULLMAN. This guy has NO charisma. :wacko I didn’t believe him as POTUS in Independence Day for one minute. Then... when he jumped into a fighter and did the John Wayne thing to fight the aliens...I rolled my eyes so far back into my head I saw my own spine. :rolleyes

2. GREG KINNEAR. This guy is too likable to be anything other than the lead actors best bud. :) Yeah, yeah, he got an Oscar nod for AS GOOD AS IT GETS, so what.... I still bring up the issue of MARISA TOMEI winning an Oscar for that awards lame street cred. After all it was the original studio heads who created the award to give to themselves in the first place!

3. LIAM NEESON. Good actor, yes...but LEAD actor? Nope can’t buy it.

4. ZACH BRAFF. Who F-----G cares! Want a movie to bomb...cast him and Bill Pullman as the buddy –cop team. Yeah, I liked Garden State despite that he was the lead. I would have liked it even if Bill Pullman starred.

5. JENNIFER ANISTON. She was hot :love /funny in that 90’s TV show, but I”ll make a bet that if you take a head shot from any one of her films, I defy anyone to tell which still came from which film. She never changes....Advise to Jen...don’t listen to your agent and take a risk once in awhile acting wise. Jeez Louise! Play a hooker, or a ***** with a gun fetish...something to let us know you’re still alive under there.

6. VINCE VAUGHN. Dude...what happened? “Swingers”...GREAT! But have you read your last IMBD entries lately. Are you trying to match downhill careers with Cuba Gooding Jr? :confused

7. DAVID CARUSO. Are you kidding me...I’ve caught several episodes of CSI and is it just me or does he always stand sideways to the camera, head ****** down and give the same drone-ish line readings :cool that he did on his first go around of his TV career?

8. KEANU REEVES. Way too easy to target. :thumbsdown Next....

9. OWEN WILSON. This clown has a great agent, not as good as Keanu’s but still up there. I wouldn’t hire this guy to mow my lawn. Maybe Bill Pullman...

10. CHRISTIAN SLTER. Sorry but he’s a guilty pleasure. :thumbsup I’d rather watch him do his weird Jack Nicolson impression than seeing the real thing.

To be continued....

10. CHRISTIAN SLTER. Sorry but he’s a guilty pleasure. :thumbsup I’d rather watch him do his weird Jack Nicolson impression than seeing the real thing.

You forgot the A in his last name. The most recent film role I thought he nailed perfectly was his performance as the character of Dolan from Dolan's Cadillac. Having to have read the novella by Stephen King, I never thought that Slater would have been the right choice for the character until I saw him in the film. A lot of the scenes with Dolan in the film aren't fully in the book, but I think he captured the personality of who Dolan is, if not expanded it a bit more from what was presented in the novella. Here's the trailer for it: ‪Dolan's Caddilac - Movie Trailer‬‏ - YouTube

For his TV roles, the last series he was on, Breaking In, I thought he was freakin' hilarious. My dad also enjoyed it. Shame that Fox cancelled it after one season.

Seems like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I can't believe you forgot to mention Caruso's sunglasses though :)

Neeson rocked taken.

I'll agree with you on Keanu though. The only thing I think he does well is Ted.

I'll agree with you on Keanu though. The only thing I think he does well is Ted.

No love for Keanu in Much Ado about nothing? :lol all jocking aside. Neeson i think does a fair job in lead roles, he kicked all kinds of arse in Rob Roy.

Ok. It’s Sunday morning/noonish and I’m slightly bored so I will add a basically a mindless thread for a lazy Sunday afternoon read for all of you. Today’s superficial topic...Hollywood actors. :sick I’m gonna start my faux rant and hopefully some fanatic Bill Pullman fan will come out of the closet and get a really juicy and heated debate going. :angry You never know how these threads will end up. Someone says something in jest and then, bing, bang, boom someone’s lying on the pavement with a bloody sheet draped over them. So here goes... ACTORS WHO SHOULD STAY AS SUPPORTING PLAYERS...

1. BILL PULLMAN. This guy has NO charisma. :wacko I didn’t believe him as POTUS in Independence Day for one minute. Then... when he jumped into a fighter and did the John Wayne thing to fight the aliens...I rolled my eyes so far back into my head I saw my own spine. :rolleyes

I'm not so sure. I haven't seen him in Lost Highway, but I intend to. I will agree that as an action hero, he doesn't quite pull it off. But I think he's got talent.

2. GREG KINNEAR. This guy is too likable to be anything other than the lead actors best bud. :) Yeah, yeah, he got an Oscar nod for AS GOOD AS IT GETS, so what.... I still bring up the issue of MARISA TOMEI winning an Oscar for that awards lame street cred. After all it was the original studio heads who created the award to give to themselves in the first place!

**** the Oscars. I don't give a damn who gets Oscars. But I WILL say that Greg Kinnear is pretty impressive in Auto Focus -- a very very disturbing film where he skirts the line of genial funnyman and DARK disturbed individual who is ultimately consumed by his dark passions.

3. LIAM NEESON. Good actor, yes...but LEAD actor? Nope can’t buy it.

Depends on the role, I think. I think his problem recently is in doing a couple of movies that are essentially the same film. That one where he's a super secret spy guy trying to find his daughter, and the other where he's (apparently) a super secret spy guy trying to find his memory. Have you seen Kinsey yet? I haven't, but I'd be curious as to how he is in that.

4. ZACH BRAFF. Who F-----G cares! Want a movie to bomb...cast him and Bill Pullman as the buddy –cop team. Yeah, I liked Garden State despite that he was the lead. I would have liked it even if Bill Pullman starred.

Can't really tell here. From watching him on Scrubs, I think he has range, but I also think that he needs the right kind of vehicle to really shine. I didn't see Garden State so I have no idea how he plays that.

5. JENNIFER ANISTON. She was hot :love /funny in that 90’s TV show, but I”ll make a bet that if you take a head shot from any one of her films, I defy anyone to tell which still came from which film. She never changes....Advise to Jen...don’t listen to your agent and take a risk once in awhile acting wise. Jeez Louise! Play a hooker, or a ***** with a gun fetish...something to let us know you’re still alive under there.

Dunno. I hear she's quite good in The Good Girl. I think she's often miscast, though, or just cast in sort of "low hanging fruit" romantic comedies which, let's be honest, aren't exactly pushing any actor.

6. VINCE VAUGHN. Dude...what happened? “Swingers”...GREAT! But have you read your last IMBD entries lately. Are you trying to match downhill careers with Cuba Gooding Jr? :confused

This guy I think is somewhat overrated. Dodgeball was ok and kinda funny and he can do some decent comedic work, but I've yet to see him really do anything that made me say "Wow! This dude can act!"

7. DAVID CARUSO. Are you kidding me...I’ve caught several episodes of CSI and is it just me or does he always stand sideways to the camera, head ****** down and give the same drone-ish line readings :cool that he did on his first go around of his TV career?

"Well. I guess he just got on your...bad side." :cool

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

8. KEANU REEVES. Way too easy to target. :thumbsdown Next....

How sad that his best and most memorable role is where he plays a guy who is essentially an idiot about his entire life and reality itself? Whoa.

9. OWEN WILSON. This clown has a great agent, not as good as Keanu’s but still up there. I wouldn’t hire this guy to mow my lawn. Maybe Bill Pullman...

I think he needs to get a gig playing a serial killer or something. Wait. I mean, a different one from the one Keanu did (yes, he played a serial killer, and no, he did not play it well).

Aside from Heathers, my only recollections of him in film are where he gets his head cut off in Windtalkers after inventing yogurt, and when he's basically indistinguishable from any number of other "bad boys" of the late 80s/early 90s in Kuffs. Which, I gather, served as the basis for Sam & Max: Freelance Police?

Last edited:
Neeson is a great actor, he shouldnt be anywhere near this list.

And I don't agree at all with Vince Vaughn, he's done some great comedies lately.

Shai LaDouche...I mean LaBeuff.Actually,he should'nt be acting at all.Not even in supporting rolls.He is GOD AWFUL to watch on screen and spit out lines.He is rarely entertaining...sometimes he gets a good punch line in, but he more or less sucks.He should just make commercials and sell cell phones,IPods, and Black Berries for At&T or something.

Casper Van Dien..he can't really act,or maybe its me and he just got lucky with Starship Troopers,but everything else after that he's sucked hard in.I can't remember anything he's been in since Sleepy Hollow.

Kevin Costner isn't really much of a lead.He gets lucky with a good film it seems about once a decade.

Tobey Maguire...he was a decent choice for Spiderman I guess, but I.M.O...he's not lead material.Although I did like Sea Biscut, but that was more or less a supporting roll I think?

Jake Gyllenhaal...he's really not that impressive on screen,even if he was nominated for an Oscar(I think) for Broke Ass Mountain.Honestly...I don't remember the name of that film,it was just a nick name that floated around the dorm for that film.

You never know how these threads will end up. Someone says something in jest and then, bing, bang, boom someone’s lying on the pavement with a bloody sheet draped over them.

No, that's pretty much how these threads end up, all right.

Also, Bill Pullman in ZERO EFFECT is one of the best comedy/dramatic performances ever.

Neeson in Michael Collins great film and actor I don't see him belonging on this list. For the most part the rest yes.

Slater was great in Pump of the Volume but he still sucks.

Seth Rogen changed his voice ONCE and it was on a Simpsons episode. I still knew it was him when he did his raspy outbursting yell.

He specfically told Kung Fu Panda guys that he'd do it if he kept his own voice. Isn't changing your voice something called.... What is that word? Oh yes... ACTING?

Seth Rogen changed his voice ONCE and it was on a Simpsons episode. I still knew it was him when he did his raspy outbursting yell.

Because changing your voice frequently = a sign of great acting.

the_more_you_know.jpg

Because changing your voice frequently = a sign of great acting.

the_more_you_know.jpg

More like, if you can't even do THAT MUCH, you really can't be called an actor at all.

"Seth Rogen is....Seth Rogen in...A Slightly Overweight Shlub Who Likes To Smoke Pot. Coming this August."

Meanwhile, Rob Schneider derp-de-derp.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back