Acrylic sealer causing weird patterns?

hiredmagmatic

Hey guys, I was sealing a craft foam project with a mod podge acrylic seal and noticed that it began to conglomerate into barnacle like patterns on the foam.
I sealed the foam with about 8 layers of watered down wood glue and then painted it with a layer of blue spraypaint, so I'd think it would be pretty sealed, although I'm not sure.
Anyone had similar experiences or know what this is? Thanks!

BTW i'll post pictures of it once my phone stops spazzing out

Not got too much experience with things like this but it could well be some reaction between the spraypaint and the seal? I'd guess something in spraypaint solvent. How long did you leave it after spraying? I think that can be a factor. Either that or some brands just don't play nice together.

The pictures may help provide further insight.

Acrylic and enamel paints may or may not work well together, depending on the chemicals used to thin them. And of course water and oil based paints are not friends...Also, its best to use the same brands. Those are usually, but not always, formulated to work together. Temperature and air moisture also are important in using sprays. Drier and warmer work better. Always test on a separate swatch before diving into a major paint job. Test, test, test... I used to paint minibikes and go karts and this was my experience. Hope this helps

Acrylic and enamel paints may or may not work well together, depending on the chemicals used to thin them. And of course water and oil based paints are not friends...Also, its best to use the same brands. Those are usually, but not always, formulated to work together. Temperature and air moisture also are important in using sprays. Drier and warmer work better. Always test on a separate swatch before diving into a major paint job. Test, test, test... I used to paint minibikes and go karts and this was my experience. Hope this helps
That makes sense. I was hoping for it to work out lol, but I guess it wasn't the best time to be painting since it was around 40-50 degress outside and not very dry. When I tried to test it again today, the first light coat of acrylic didn't seem to affect the paint, but on the second coat, it started forming around the edges again. I'm thinking either temperature or brand incompatibility like you said.
Here are the pictures as well. I think the first one is after around 30 seconds and the other one is about 30 seconds later or so.
Edit: also if anyone has any paint/primer and sealant suggestions that won't break the bank that would be awesome, thanks!
IMAG0598.jpgIMAG0597.jpg

What I'm probably going to end up doing is still sealing it with wood glue, and painting with krylon metallic paint, going over with krylon blue, then sealing with a krylon acrylic or with floorwax. I probably need to follow the instructions on the can better next time, since after finding some info on the internet, I think the reason for the patterns is because I applied too early/too late.

Glad to hear that you've got a possible solution. Hope that the next round sees more success for you. Drying times are definitely an important factor.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back