Acme Staff of Ra "how to" with replacing with REAL crystals DONE!

Re: Acme Staff of Ra "how to" with replacing with REAL crystals

And what's the proper size crystal?

Re: Acme Staff of Ra "how to" with replacing/removing mirror backing?

I used a micro-screwdriver to pry mine out. I didn't soak it or anything ahead of time & the crystals came out with virtually no pressure.

I lightly sanded the backs of the crystals with 400-grit sandpaper until all the foil was gone, then I wet-sanded the backs with 1500-grit until they were almost clear. THEN I applied a coating of Future floor polish, & when it dried the crystals were as clear as glass.

After that, I re-mounted them with model glue & it turned out fantastic. It was super-easy. :thumbsup

clearra.jpg

I've got the acme version, and I don't have the guts to do any work on it unless I know exactly what I'm etting myself into. I noticed that you didn't mention anything about drilling any metal out once the crystals were removed. Is it actually open behind them?

Re: Acme Staff of Ra "how to" with replacing/removing mirror backing?

I've got the acme version, and I don't have the guts to do any work on it unless I know exactly what I'm etting myself into. I noticed that you didn't mention anything about drilling any metal out once the crystals were removed. Is it actually open behind them?
Affirmative. :thumbsup

Good thing this thread got bumped. I managed to remove the stock crystals, but I still have no idea what proper glue brand to use without fear of fogging them up!

Good thing this thread got bumped. I managed to remove the stock crystals, but I still have no idea what proper glue brand to use without fear of fogging them up!
Regular old model glue.

I used "amazing goop craft". I even think this is what ACME used too. It doesn't fog up the crystals and is very easy to handle. Amazing Goop stays clear when it dries.

Alright, well I guess I'll have to look around. :confused
Man, I wish I had seen this post sooner. I wasn't trying to be vague, I just literally meant any brand would do, it didn't occur to me you were asking for specifics (Which I should have known; this IS the RPF, after all. The KINGDOM of specifics). Kind of like telling someone to use "superglue" when you don't REALLY mean "Super Glue", but ANY old "C.A." glue.

THIS is what I used (he said, FAR too late to be helpful)... :$

OT: Yours turned out awesome, BTW. :thumbsup

Man, I wish I had seen this post sooner. I wasn't trying to be vague, I just literally meant any brand would do, it didn't occur to me you were asking for specifics (Which I should have known; this IS the RPF, after all. The KINGDOM of specifics). Kind of like telling someone to use "superglue" when you don't REALLY mean "Super Glue", but ANY old "C.A." glue.

THIS is what I used (he said, FAR too late to be helpful)... :$

OT: Yours turned out awesome, BTW. :thumbsup

No problem. I ran out to a micheals with a buddy for some supplies and remembered that I needed to get glue for it. Found a modeler's glue specifically for attaching clear pieces (airplane canopies and making "windows") which turned out well. Dries clear, so you can't see what little residue there is.

I'm gonna get a better pic of it in the light. Just realized those are crappy pics!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back