Acme Staff of Ra "how to" with replacing with REAL crystals DONE!

tubachris85x

Master Member
Just got my second Indy prop in, and loving it! I have been doing some research but haven't really come up with any tutorials, anyone know of any? I'm looking to just remove the mirror backing without having to replace the entire crystal. Thanks!

-TC

Last edited:
Re: Acme Staff of Ra "how to" with replacing/removing mirror backing?

Works like a charm: soak the crystal overnight in white vinegar with a teaspoon of salt.

In the morning, the foil backing should just slip right off. If it doesn't, soak it longer (or add a little more salt to your mixture).

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Works like a charm: soak the crystal overnight in white vinegar with a teaspoon of salt.

In the morning, the foil backing should just slip right off. If it doesn't, soak it longer (or add a little more salt to your mixture).

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Awesome! So as for physically removing the crystal...just carefully pry it off??

Yeah, most likely it'll pop out rather easily.

Kind regards,
Indy

From personal experience, I would recommend running the headpiece under very hot water first... It will soften the glue that is used and make things a bit easier when trying to pull the plastic crystals out.

From personal experience, I would recommend running the headpiece under very hot water first... It will soften the glue that is used and make things a bit easier when trying to pull the plastic crystals out.

Thanks, it looks almost like a form of hot glue used? I'm really just afraid of scratching both the faux crystals or even scratching the gold surface. I wouldn't mind investing in a real crystal, but I haven't done a whole lot of research on that yet.

Yup, that's why I suggested weakening the glue first. I accidentally chipped off some of the plating on one of my headpieces while removing the plastic crystals. So, on another one, I ran it under the hot water first and the crystals basically just fell out with a bit of wiggling. Just use something slightly softer like a toothpick rather than a pin or anything...

For the real crystals, the right size of Swarovskis were discontinued long ago, but they're still available here and there... I suggest making a post over at Club Obi-Wan, I'm sure you'll find some quickly.

Yup, that's why I suggested weakening the glue first. I accidentally chipped off some of the plating on one of my headpieces while removing the plastic crystals. So, on another one, I ran it under the hot water first and the crystals basically just fell out with a bit of wiggling. Just use something slightly softer like a toothpick rather than a pin or anything...

For the real crystals, the right size of Swarovskis were discontinued long ago, but they're still available here and there... I suggest making a post over at Club Obi-Wan, I'm sure you'll find some quickly.

Thats good to know. If I can prevent any real scratches on the current ones, I'll just keep them after I remove the backing, but I'll look up those crystals in the meantime and see what a good price range is for them first. Thanks everyone for your help!

I used a micro-screwdriver to pry mine out. I didn't soak it or anything ahead of time & the crystals came out with virtually no pressure.

I lightly sanded the backs of the crystals with 400-grit sandpaper until all the foil was gone, then I wet-sanded the backs with 1500-grit until they were almost clear. THEN I applied a coating of Future floor polish, & when it dried the crystals were as clear as glass.

After that, I re-mounted them with model glue & it turned out fantastic. It was super-easy. :thumbsup

clearra.jpg

Last edited:

I used a micro-screwdriver to pry mine out. I didn't soak it or anything ahead of time & the crystals came out with virtually no pressure.

I lightly sanded the backs of the crystals with 400-grit sandpaper until all the foil was gone, then I wet-sanded the backs with 1500-grit until they were almost clear. THEN I applied a coating of Future floor polish, & when it dried the crystals were as clear as glass.

After that, I re-mounted them with model glue & it turned out fantastic. It was super-easy. :thumbsup

clearra.jpg

That looks awesome! What was that other chemical modelers use to clear up plastic canopys for model aircrafts? Was that Ultra Cal? If I were to use some type of chemical, I can't have it for too long in the barracks if it's too fumy or the like. I would like to do this sometime soon..probably while I recover from surgery in the next few weeks..

Also, the weathering, I'm debating on doing it, but I am really liking the way it looks. Would like to get one of those stands (the kinds used for displaying decorative plates) IDK, we'll see. ALOT of people here seem to really like this prop around here lol

-TC

Well I've decided that I'm going to be getting real crystals this time. I'm thinking about removing the plastic ones, and cleaning them up anyways and saving them on the side. Im tempted to take them out right now, but I'll wait until I get the crystals in.

So quick question. For the real swavorski crystals..what adhesives should I NOT use? I currently have CA glue, but I'm deathly afraid of it having any negative effect. I should be getting the real crystals in this week, and I will most likely have a chance to go off post this weekend

Wow,you'll go far with this:thumbsup
it would create a strange feeling in me to see pics of a prop that was actually on my hands 2 weeks ago

So quick question. For the real swavorski crystals..what adhesives should I NOT use? I currently have CA glue, but I'm deathly afraid of it having any negative effect. I should be getting the real crystals in this week, and I will most likely have a chance to go off post this weekend

I would be afraid that the CA fumes would fog up the crystal.

I used regular model glue to hold mine in. It seems to have worked out great. *shrugs*

Wow,you'll go far with this:thumbsup
it would create a strange feeling in me to see pics of a prop that was actually on my hands 2 weeks ago

Trust me, I know how you'll feel. I had a REALLY bad recast boba helmet that I was working on for the longest time, but decided to sell off to someone since I was somewhat close to making it somewhat useful. The guy ended up turning the thing from an ugly duckling to a freakin swan! I was glad he ended up purchasing it from me :lol

I would be afraid that the CA fumes would fog up the crystal.

I used regular model glue to hold mine in. It seems to have worked out great. *shrugs*

Hmm..Im going to have to try and get some modlers glue or something similar? I have that loctite super glue gel that I've used for many projects.

Yes, stay away from any super-glue type product as they will certainly fog up the crystal. You want to get a gel-type model glue.

Kind regards,
Indy

Yes, stay away from any super-glue type product as they will certainly fog up the crystal. You want to get a gel-type model glue.

Kind regards,
Indy

Thanks for the clarification..Hmmm if anyone recommends a brand, I guess I'll be ordering it online then!

Alright, well I have the real crystals in hand now. I'm back home for just a few more days, and can hit up a hobbytown. Is there any particular brand of modeler's glue? Or what chemicals should I avoid??

Re: Acme Staff of Ra "how to" with replacing with REAL crystals

Just to note, Michael's Crafts is now carrying Swarovski Crystals.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back