Accurate Tie Pilot helmet cog decals

I remember trying to find a more accurate set of decals for my Laws helmet around 2008...and I remember I had a set that were white on clear on my helmet.

I was wondering where I got them do I dug through an old email account of mine. Apparently I made them! I found my files and emails with a local decal maker I used at my job at the time. Forgot all about it (in my defense it was 12 yrs ago!)

Not accurate (I didn't compensate for the slit cut among other things) but better than a rub on!

37E53B2C-F842-4599-AEBA-46AF995C0F4F.jpeg
F9298067-47D5-400F-8571-E0767FE8D116.jpeg

so this helmet on Star Wars Helmets has grey cogs? Maybe they look white is due to age and the picture (like how everyone thought the AT-AT driver helmets were white)? Does that mean the jumpsuit patches were grey/silver as well?

View attachment 1283295
Exactly. The silver in the decal reflects the light making it look white, especially in the pics you are posting that Jez took which were in direct sunlight. He verified the color to me when he had the helmet in his possession when he took those pics. They were never white. Same mistake on the color of the ATAT helmets.

Seeing a screen-used helmet in person, the cogs looked very white to me. My understanding is that they rubbed graphite powder or painted thin graphite paint on some of the silkscreened white and black vinyl cogs.
F14496F7-BCFD-4ED0-BAC0-C04B4D0AB57A.jpeg

Last edited:
Seeing a screen-used helmet in person, the cogs looked very white to me. My understanding is that they rubbed graphite powder or painted thin graphite paint on some of the silkscreened white and black vinyl cogs.
View attachment 1283493
They were a light grey/silver. Some of the helmets with grey silver detailing may have got a smear of paint over the cogs.

If you want white decals, your choice but it will be wrong.

I just dug through some more emails and according to Jez (Star Wars helmets.com) the decals are screen printed a “dull white color”

I’ll ask if he can pop in here for some clarification

After searching for what seems like forever and finding zero accurate decals made I’ve decided to take on making some. Light silver screen printed on matte black vynil. I’ve been working on the cog art and am confident it’s accurate (verified by someone that’s had much time with originals) ..man that cog is wonky! I hope to have something to show within a week or so if all goes well..

350691DB-CF1B-42B9-8011-7E52B0B14FAF.jpeg

Ok here’s the research, time for the discussion! Since the color of these seems to always be confusing, I made cogs in three colors, then photographed them in different conditions. The “indoor shadowed” pic is how they look in person. I’ve also added a pic of original cogs and how they appear in different conditions. What do you think is correct? Silver, light silver or white?
4AAC3E26-1452-4BDD-A794-304F71E60FAC.jpeg
29D704ED-A5B8-4803-BF79-71FA2C9D9814.jpeg
04358B43-A13B-45F5-A631-B305C510A41D.jpeg

Thanks for the input! I too think the light silver is closest to what we see on the helmets today. The light silver ink is a color I custom mixed using reference pics.

I have a theory that they were the straight silver ink originally and have faded and shrunk over time, but that’s just speculation.

With trying all of them on a helmet and just looking at it that way, the straight silver just looks right. I know the light silver looks closest in all the photo tests, but sitting here on a helmet the straight silver just looks right. I need to figure a way to get these next to an original!

I think we can at least put the White cog theory to bed once and for all.

(Pic is straight silver ink)
FCDFB305-B325-4EEE-8532-82B4BBC5DDC3.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back