Accurate Tie Pilot helmet cog decals

RBJ

Sr Member
Does anyone make truly accurate cog decals? I mean white printed on a clear background.

The die cut rub on ones are everywhere, but I can’t seem to find any printed ones.

63B09C5F-377A-48C7-B5A9-A554C1140E12.jpeg

i have lots of pics but non convince me that it was on clear
to me it looks like black paper ? with the cog stamped/printed on
i see what looks like glue/adhesive residue around the outer edge

i have lots of pics but non convince me that it was on clear
to me it looks like black paper ? with the cog stamped/printed on
i see what looks like glue residue around the outer edge

I just dug through my pics and I’d have to agree! Thanks for the correction

Based on photos and what I was told by people that saw the originals, the original color is a light grayish silver. One piece printed black with color on top with a offset line on one of the spokes to allow for a pie cut so the decal would lay flat on the curved helmet. If you see this original never got cut on the spoke on the right and the decal is buckling. img13 (1).jpg

The other side decal was cut at the top as intended. Although they cut on the wrong spoke. img16.jpg

Last edited:
Some close up pics. You can see sometimes they didn't get cut, got cut correctly or got cut on the wrong side of the spoke.
Dsc01494.jpeg This one is cut correctly but the decal layed flat enough. Still looks offset
Dsc01495.jpegThis one was cut on the spoke.
swtie8.jpgThis one was never cut, lots of little puckers.

Last edited:
Those are great pics! Thanks for sharing. Is one of the “spokes” wider to compensate for the cut or am I seeing things?

EF9D89D6-24F7-49F8-A27D-DE315DB526A3.jpeg

Those are great pics! Thanks for sharing. Is one of the “spokes” wider to compensate for the cut or am I seeing things?

View attachment 1282870

Yep, you can see how that area is wider than the others and the spoke is offset. They should have cut on the bottom side of the spoke to allow a overlap and help avoid a pucker or buckling of the decal. This would have made the spoke more centered on the tooth feature.

It appears that vinyl self adhesiv paper can shrink (due the heat, light, etc...). What could explaint why some helmets have some glue marks around the decals.

It appears that vinyl self adhesiv paper can shrink (due the heat, light, etc...). What could explaint why some helmets have some glue marks around the decals.
maybe just a sign of age & or after they pressed/smoothed out the decal it shrank back as the adhesive dried up ?

Are they black ink on white material (vynil?)
or are they white ink on black? White and black on clear?

Last edited:
And as for the glue residue, I assume they used just some random glue to fix the non-adhesiv “decals” to the helmets.
That would perfectly explain the residue around them.
Also it looks to me like there was some kind of restriction around the printed decals to keep the glue from running further off.

They aren't white. Light grey/silver over black

so this helmet on Star Wars Helmets has grey cogs? Maybe they look white is due to age and the picture (like how everyone thought the AT-AT driver helmets were white)? Does that mean the jumpsuit patches were grey/silver as well?

92D937DD-8484-4058-B61A-C2F92BE11B2D.jpeg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back