Limited Run Accurate RotJ Force Pike - Weapon of the Emperor's Royal Guard

I hope the feedback function gets reinstated on RPF in the future.

Now that you publicly embarrassed Tom I can't help to react by saying that I find it incredible to give negative feedback over something like this. Do you really believe that Tom is going to spend all this time and effort in creating such an awesome replica just to screw somebody over a PayPal fee? Come on man! Give him a break and deal with this privately and with some respect! It really gives me a nasty feeling just reading your argument. Why do you think he's going through all this trouble in creating the best possible piece? Think about that man.

Roy

Tom,
The original estimated price for this item on 9/10/18 was $175 to $200. I paid my deposit on 9/12/18 of $100.00. On 10/19/18 the price was increased to $225.00 <due to machinist change> I was willing to accept this increase. I understand that things happen and runs get extended and I was in no rush to get the completed item and appreciated that you were making sure they turned out as nice as possible. But when you did not make any updates from March 4th until May 4th, I became concerned. Mainly because my PayPal protection expired on 3/11/19. But at the time PayPal seemed to accept the dispute I filed on May 5th but I realize now since it was after the 180 day window it was instantly canceled. Then after you saw the email I/others sent you responded on the thread on May 5th. All was ok again at this point. Then on May 30th you increased the price again to $255.00 <due large import fee from shipper> I did not see this additional $30.00 increase until I received my invoice from you which I was also surprised to include an additional charge on top of shipping(expected) which was you wanted me to pay for the PayPal fees. Not only was that not right in my opinion but ($285.42) was more than I wanted to pay for this item. Since all of these changes happened after I made my deposit and happened of no fault of my own, I expected a full refund of my $100.00 deposit. But I was surprised to see that you only refunded me $96.80 keeping the original PayPal fees of $3.20 plus you refunded it to me as a PayPal purchase so I was charged another $3.12. So now I am out $6.32 due to no fault of my own. I have tried to work this out with you via email but for some reason you think it is ok for me to be out $6.32. Therefore, I called PayPal and luckily even though my PayPal protection ended on March 11th for the deposit and they did not have to do anything they did refund me the $6.32 that you should have. This was poor form dude. When you went absent from the thread for two months everyone said you could be trusted and not to worry but I guess they were wrong. I hope the feedback function gets reinstated on RPF in the future.

It's been a while since I posted on the RPF, but I did see this comment, as I am a part of this run and feel that I am obliged to shed some light on the matter since Tom and I are personal friends.

Tom actually consulted with me on many occasions, due to my manufacturing experience, to ensure that he got the best product possible. Tom changed the design to be even more accurate on multiple occasions before even making his first prototype, which he paid out of his own pocket. So many hours went into his design and prototyping of this replica.

Tom then asked me to assist with him getting some quotes for these pikes, which I was happy to do, and when he ended up choosing the final manufacturer, I saw the final cost, and trust me when I say, Toms goal was NOT to profit from this run, but to only make an excellent replica. He even sent the first batch of parts back to be redone because he saw them as unacceptable quality.

Judging by the additional costs, such as the import fees that he was unaware of (a simple mistake for a first time run), he is probably making the same amount of profit as a weekly shop at Wal-Mart for a 3 people! :p

Yes, he decided to do this run, and yes, it had surprises, but I simply cannot support such feedback as this knowing what toms intentions were the entire time and knowing Toms character.

From what I know about PayPal, is that, once a dispute is raised on a payment, and that dispute is settled (in Toms favour I assume?), the function to refund that payment is disabled. Or if the 180 days pass, the payment cannot be refunded.

Therefore, I am sure Tom wanted to refund you via the refund option in PayPal (which automatically reimburses the fees) but was unable to. So, it's clear to me that he sent the net amount he received for your deposit back to you. This would of course incur a fee.

I do not think that Tom has KEPT this fee, because he would never have received the fee in the first place? If he were to refund you the full amount, with the PayPal refund facility not available, he would have to pay more than what he received.

I have my Pike from the run that Tom brought back from the USA when he visited London and I am super happy with it.; the weight, the feel and the quality. I think $285 all in all is excellent for this. I doubt anyone would find the same thing anywhere else at all. Even if it was 3D printed, made from wood and professional painted etc. This thing is all metal with the spike being machined steel, second phase machining to remove anodise and mirror polished. Very expensive to make.

Toms goal this entire time, I can assure you, was to deliver a great product. He would NEVER intentionally do bad business and never mislead people.

I am glad that you managed to get your $6 back via PayPal, but I do think it isn't fair to attempt to bad mouth Tom on such a large forum as this because he didn't pay out of his own pocket the $6 that you lost as a part of this deal.

This is just my opinion on the matter Edward. I have no animosity toward you, but I thought that if you knew this about Tom, it may make you see the matter in a different light.

All the best

Khal

Tom,
The original estimated price for this item on 9/10/18 was $175 to $200. I paid my deposit on 9/12/18 of $100.00. On 10/19/18 the price was increased to $225.00 <due to machinist change> I was willing to accept this increase. I understand that things happen and runs get extended and I was in no rush to get the completed item and appreciated that you were making sure they turned out as nice as possible. But when you did not make any updates from March 4th until May 4th, I became concerned. Mainly because my PayPal protection expired on 3/11/19. But at the time PayPal seemed to accept the dispute I filed on May 5th but I realize now since it was after the 180 day window it was instantly canceled. Then after you saw the email I/others sent you responded on the thread on May 5th. All was ok again at this point. Then on May 30th you increased the price again to $255.00 <due large import fee from shipper> I did not see this additional $30.00 increase until I received my invoice from you which I was also surprised to include an additional charge on top of shipping(expected) which was you wanted me to pay for the PayPal fees. Not only was that not right in my opinion but ($285.42) was more than I wanted to pay for this item. Since all of these changes happened after I made my deposit and happened of no fault of my own, I expected a full refund of my $100.00 deposit. But I was surprised to see that you only refunded me $96.80 keeping the original PayPal fees of $3.20 plus you refunded it to me as a PayPal purchase so I was charged another $3.12. So now I am out $6.32 due to no fault of my own. I have tried to work this out with you via email but for some reason you think it is ok for me to be out $6.32. Therefore, I called PayPal and luckily even though my PayPal protection ended on March 11th for the deposit and they did not have to do anything they did refund me the $6.32 that you should have. This was poor form dude. When you went absent from the thread for two months everyone said you could be trusted and not to worry but I guess they were wrong. I hope the feedback function gets reinstated on RPF in the future.

I'm sorry you are unhappy with this outcome but as I tried to explain via email, when you opened a dispute before talking to me it removed my ability to give a refund through PayPal. As discussed I then sent you a payment for every cent that I received. I did not "keep original PayPal fees" and I resent the implication. Perhaps you misunderstand PayPal but they take those fees, not me. I refunded the entirety of the deposit I received and to reiterate, the fees collected by PayPal were unable to be refunded by me due to the dispute that was opened by you, not me.

It is unfortunate that we could not do business and also that having received your deposit back in full you feel the need to post unnecessary and inflammatory comments suggesting that I am a thief and not to be trusted.

I am trying my best with this run to provide the most accurate and highest quality product I can, at a reasonable price. It would have been easy to just slap a huge markup on them and make a bunch of money but that's not why I created this replica. I apologise again that there were unforeseen problems that increased the cost, I did my best to anticipate everything, be transparent and give an accurate estimate and I guess I didn't go a good enough job. I don't feel it's fair, however, to expect me to lose money in addition to the hundreds and hundreds of hours of my time I've put into this to provide these pikes.

Got mine today! Totally blown away Tom!! Out standing work!!
Now Trent we gotta hunt down some flash light holders!!

That's awesome! Love the video, I'm gonna share it on my page :)

The "skull basher" was originally a tool for cutting the teeth into 'worm' gears, it's called a 'worm gear hob' or 'worm gear cutter' :)
The main shaft is solid aluminum, I thought about having it drilled all the way through but it would have increased the cost, weakened the shaft and I think unbalanced the overall feel of the pike ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Glad to hear you like it!

That's awesome! Love the video, I'm gonna share it on my page :)

The "skull basher" was originally a tool for cutting the teeth into 'worm' gears, it's called a 'worm gear hob' or 'worm gear cutter' :)
The main shaft is solid aluminum, I thought about having it drilled all the way through but it would have increased the cost, weakened the shaft and I think unbalanced the overall feel of the pike ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Glad to hear you like it!

I love it!! The work gear being steel, does it unscrew? I would like to clear coat it so it doesn’t rust, living right on the water it happens quick

Also I didn’t finish my sentence about the damaged bottom, I was pointing to the tape. Wondering if you taped the ends or did the post off tape the ends once it got damaged

That’s what I meant at that part

I’m dyslexic, and since a young age I have tended to think ahead... but forget to finish what I’m talking about... but I’m thinking it.

You catch me doing it all the time in my videos, I can sometimes catch it in tutorials, but unboxing is a 1 time shot lol

Thanks again tom, I love it!!

I love it!! The work gear being steel, does it unscrew? I would like to clear coat it so it doesn’t rust, living right on the water it happens quick

Also I didn’t finish my sentence about the damaged bottom, I was pointing to the tape. Wondering if you taped the ends or did the post off tape the ends once it got damaged

That’s what I meant at that part

I’m dyslexic, and since a young age I have tended to think ahead... but forget to finish what I’m talking about... but I’m thinking it.

You catch me doing it all the time in my videos, I can sometimes catch it in tutorials, but unboxing is a 1 time shot lol

Thanks again tom, I love it!!

Yep, the steel unscrews, and it'll definitely start to rust if left untreated and exposed to damp environments. If you want to go extra accurate bake it in the oven until it starts turning straw coloured (410-430F) as the original part has a slight yellow tint :) Youd probably need to repolish the polished taper again tho to get it back to silver.

Ah yes, I taped both the long edge and both end edges to try and mitigate damage from any kind of throwing around I figured the wonderful Postal Service might be inclined to do with it...

The large pommel piece also unscrews from the main grip and there's an internal bore of 7/8 through the grip to allow for either accurate bulb electronics or something fancier. The pommel itself is a 3/4 bore as was on the real prop to preserve accuracy :)

I mentioned before but I'll say it again here, the clear acrylic piece is just press fitted into the pommel, I'd suggest glueing it with E6000 so it won't fall out in the future :)

Yep, the steel unscrews, and it'll definitely start to rust if left untreated and exposed to damp environments. If you want to go extra accurate bake it in the oven until it starts turning straw coloured (410-430F) as the original part has a slight yellow tint :) Youd probably need to repolish the polished taper again tho to get it back to silver.

Ah yes, I taped both the long edge and both end edges to try and mitigate damage from any kind of throwing around I figured the wonderful Postal Service might be inclined to do with it...

The large pommel piece also unscrews from the main grip and there's an internal bore of 7/8 through the grip to allow for either accurate bulb electronics or something fancier. The pommel itself is a 3/4 bore as was on the real prop to preserve accuracy :)

I mentioned before but I'll say it again here, the clear acrylic piece is just press fitted into the pommel, I'd suggest glueing it with E6000 so it won't fall out in the future :)

I’m quoting the bold and putting it in my YouTube description

tomleech, I'm so pleased to see things coming together finally after all the back-and-forth with the shop. That pic of all the bits laid out on your carpet is a thing of beauty. I'm still sad I missed the run, and seriously hope you do another one of these days...

Mine arrived and gotta echo everyone else - it's very nice.

I did need to deburr the cob bit section (and would recommend this to others) - the shortened teeth at the top and bottom of the cob were still razor sharp and some with burrs left over from that facing operation. But that just took 10 minutes with jewelers files and sanding sticks to knock out. Quickest "project" in a while :)

OH. MY. GOD! Tom I just received my Pike and I am completely speechless! I knew going into this that you wanted everything to be perfect and that you spent way more time than you probably wanted to making adjustments, dealing with machining issues, QC issues, etc. but man you friggin NAILED it! This thing is so heavy, so perfectly machined, so perfectly polished that it's easily worth TWICE what we all paid for them. I cannot believe you successfully completed a project of this quality for the price.
I am just blown away. It was well worth the wait and I truly appreciate you going the extra mile to make sure the mistakes of others were taken care of before sending them out. I know you ate some additional cost on this so if I can help by pitching in any extra, I'd really like to. I almost feel like I ripped you off by getting something this nice for so cheap!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back