Accurate MCU Mjolnir dimensions

So this first one I'm making will be the 150mm x 150mm x 250mm dimensions. My customer is more concerned with BIG than exact accuracy. For my personal one (that I'll make next), I'll be going for the more accurate numbers show here (or if they evolve).

I'm also speaking with some leatherwork experts on that damn strap so I can try to reproduce the stitched inner layer correctly.

Last edited:
This is great information all. Thanks to jholt our official RPF Mjolnir expert! Looking forward to seeing those 3d printed hammers Valor.

I recently got a KA Mjolnir and I'm really happy with it but I've never really understood why these "official" replicas are always off dimension wise. You'd think those companies would nail it if they have access to the actual screen used props..

Well like valor mentioned, even with the cap shields, there were multiple sizes for multiple reasons.

Maybe it was Marvels intention on items like these to provide a variant that differed from the hero one's.

Although EFX has always been the closest to faithfully reproducing these props, even in the shields.

It's a shame they dropped the ball on the black panther helmet, metal cap shield and iron man helmets.

Well like valor mentioned, even with the cap shields, there were multiple sizes for multiple reasons.

Maybe it was Marvels intention on items like these to provide a variant that differed from the hero one's.

Although EFX has always been the closest to faithfully reproducing these props, even in the shields.

It's a shame they dropped the ball on the black panther helmet, metal cap shield and iron man helmets.
Agee, and to be clear, I am NOT claiming this is the one and only, totally irrefutable, completely accurate anything. Just trying to land somewhere close that I can support with some research.

Working through the parts. The handle is split into three pieces that fit together over a 1" aluminum tube. I might merge the end pommel with the end part of the handle and reprint. Not sure yet.

I created a mold of the hammer head I printed out. My plan is to cast the two heads in solid resin .. nice and heavy. But I'm getting a few bubbles in the engraving details, even when pressure casting. Going to try dusting the mold with baby powder and see if that helps.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2a55.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2a55.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 195
  • fullsizeoutput_2a56.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2a56.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 205
  • fjrXsZ6WRhy892ZhEDlnVQ.jpg
    fjrXsZ6WRhy892ZhEDlnVQ.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 184
  • ANxy29fdSD+lWAna2%Bpqw.jpg
    ANxy29fdSD+lWAna2%Bpqw.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 187
  • 8eyk%5XAQNSiU0ZCAJ0v%A.jpg
    8eyk%5XAQNSiU0ZCAJ0v%A.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 185
  • jhiA3MWdS2O67PlWTwGXxA.jpg
    jhiA3MWdS2O67PlWTwGXxA.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
  • 9GbU4nEiTIyFHvWrk9gubg.jpg
    9GbU4nEiTIyFHvWrk9gubg.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 176
  • Mqf+6eZaS8KGIgsGpQ3D6A.jpg
    Mqf+6eZaS8KGIgsGpQ3D6A.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 174
Working through the parts. The handle is split into three pieces that fit together over a 1" aluminum tube. I might merge the end pommel with the end part of the handle and reprint. Not sure yet.

I created a mold of the hammer head I printed out. My plan is to cast the two heads in solid resin .. nice and heavy. But I'm getting a few bubbles in the engraving details, even when pressure casting. Going to try dusting the mold with baby powder and see if that helps.
Nice progress! The modelling on the hammer looks spot on. Are you planning on using real leather for the handle?

I'm sure we've all seen this. But THIS is what I'm after :)
I tried to find their contact to see if they sell it but apparently they were absorbed by a bigger company. I contacted the company and they said I had to contact Marvel Entertainment since they owned the rights, design, etc to the prop they made for them. No luck getting any reply back from Marvel.

I tried to find their contact to see if they sell it but apparently they were absorbed by a bigger company. I contacted the company and they said I had to contact Marvel Entertainment since they owned the rights, design, etc to the prop they made for them. No luck getting any reply back from Marvel.
If I'm not mistaken the FX company in that video was run by the same people that went on to run the propshop, and they worked on Star Wars TFA and sold some prop replicas but went out of business shortly after.

One of people working there claimed he modeled the 3d version of Mjolnir for the movie (The Dark World maybe?) and he still works in the FX industry his name is Jet Cooper. His website seems down at the moment but when it was still working I did see a Mjolnir in his portfolio.

I would think that any rights to the design and model is owned by Marvel and Disney anyway so doubt anybody would sell anything other than rhe licensed products we all know about.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken the FX company in that video was run by the same people that went on to run the propshop, and they worked on Star Wars TFA and sold some prop replicas but went out of business shortly after.

One of people working there claimed he modeled the 3d version of Mjolnir for the movie (The Dark World maybe?) and he still works in the FX industry his name is Jet Cooper. His website seems down at the moment but when it was still working I did see a Mjolnir in his portfolio.

I would that any rights to the design and model is owned by Marvel and Disney anyway so doubt anybody would sell anything other than rhe licensed products we all know about.
Yeah, no one from the industry is going to give out file or info. No worries.

So, here's the current problem. I am not impressed with accuracy. Here are pics of three hammers in various stages. Small, Medium, Large.

Small: My scratch-built Mjolnir from 8 years ago. It's too small. Head size: 230mm x 130mm x 130mm
Medium: My new file, which is the accurate dimensions of the screen-used Mjolnir: Head size: 235mm x 140mm x 140mm
Large: Also my new file but scaled up to what I thought was accurate: Head size: 250mm x 150m x 150mm

What's the problem. I friggin LOVE this big hammer! Ad so does the customer who ordered it. But I wanted to make mine ACCURATE ... but the Medium (accurate) one ... feels .... smalllllllllll. The Large one feels like what Cap was holding in the final scene in Endgame!

Having a real internal argument here. Would I rather have what was technically used on-screen, or what it FELT like on screen?

46dsE5EqTpq4k%Ho6wMwMg.jpg
Fv7%kZxTQSu6ViXuKTxyxw.jpg
jhctkfwiTiyzO44gBjK7SQ.jpg

So, here's the current problem. I am not impressed with accuracy. Here are pics of three hammers in various stages. Small, Medium, Large.

Small: My scratch-built Mjolnir from 8 years ago. It's too small. Head size: 230mm x 130mm x 130mm
Medium: My new file, which is the accurate dimensions of the screen-used Mjolnir: Head size: 235mm x 140mm x 140mm
Large: Also my new file but scaled up to what I thought was accurate: Head size: 250mm x 150m x 150mm

What's the problem. I friggin LOVE this big hammer! Ad so does the customer who ordered it. But I wanted to make mine ACCURATE ... but the Medium (accurate) one ... feels .... smalllllllllll. The Large one feels like what Cap was holding in the final scene in Endgame!

Having a real internal argument here. Would I rather have what was technically used on-screen, or what it FELT like on screen?

View attachment 1454297View attachment 1454298View attachment 1454299
Easy. Make both :cry:

to be honest if you take a look at the hammer in cap's hand in endgame, it actually isnt that big...

1620072826283.png

the head of the hammer actually isnt that big.

also in ultron...

1620072940359.png

1620072977623.png

hemsworth has a large hand and the length of his fingers span almost the entire end

Totally fair points. Maybe it was the contrast of seeing the HUGE one first, which made the real one seem small ... uh, that's what she said.

So, today's struggle. The grips. I though I had a swell plan. Mold the rings and grips together into large joined segments ... then cut thin leather to cover the spaces between the silver rings. I tried cutting the leather by hand and it looked like crap. Then I tried cutting the shapes out with my Cricut cutter. More crap.

Then I tried separating the rings and leather sections into separate printed pieces, thinking it would be easier to cut the leather around the loose rings. Still crap.

FInally, the last picture here is me just painting the 3D printed "leather" rings with brown paint. And I like it a bunch better. The join between the "leather" and the silver ring is tight. I'm a little sad it won't be actualleather on the handle, but it will look much neater.

IMG_5646.jpeg

IMG_5650.jpeg
IMG_5647.jpeg
IMG_5649.jpeg

yeah the last one is my favorite as well also because it has the right profile from metal chevron to "leather" section... looks really nice!

Okay, fine. I admit it. I just had to do the work of tweaking the template for the leather pieces until they fit properly. I think I'll proceed with the original plan, where the rings are incorporated into the handle, as opposed to individual pieces. Not sure if I need to cut all these leather bits by hand, or if I could maybe get my friend with a Glowforge to help.

BDlzhH4cSceWlq3cX19tAQ.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back