About to begin a Babylon 5 uniform build open to tips/advice/photo reference

Okay, I finally found my original measurements for the brass pieces I made for my costume and for the ones I sold. Please remember that some of the measurements will change very slightly when you file off the rough edges of the brass. I hope this helps you out. Of course if you feel these pieces are not the right size, feel free to change them as it is for your costume. The waist buckle shown here is just slightly smallet than the one I scratchbuilt.

What rank where you thinking of going for? Do you have a chart of the ranks?

DocScan4resize.jpg

Okay, I finally found my original measurements for the brass pieces I made for my costume and for the ones I sold. Please remember that some of the measurements will change very slightly when you file off the rough edges of the brass. I hope this helps you out. Of course if you feel these pieces are not the right size, feel free to change them as it is for your costume. The waist buckle shown here is just slightly smallet than the one I scratchbuilt.

What rank where you thinking of going for? Do you have a chart of the ranks?

View attachment 1299822
This is super helpful. Thank you!

I'll probably go with captain's rank since my stat bar is a CO bar. I've pulled a couple of rank charts, but any Sheridan photo where the rank is visible will tell me what I need.

The sleeves are in, and the shoulder pleats are... there. They aren't pretty, but they do the job well enough for now. When I do a second iteration out of heavier fabric I hope to have that technique mastered.

Next up: collar and waistband prep, followed by shoulder pads and lining.

Attachments

• 20200520_151651.jpg
    20200520_151651.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 129
This really isn't an update, but I'm struggling with my abilities because of these shoulder caps. I've pinned the flaps and placed the cut collar as motivation, and to convince myself it doesn't look as bad as I think it does, but, wow, this thing had me a bit rattled.

Attachments

• 6d7jq.jpg
    6d7jq.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 127
This really isn't an update, but I'm struggling with my abilities because of these shoulder caps. I've pinned the flaps and placed the cut collar as motivation, and to convince myself it doesn't look as bad as I think it does, but, wow, this thing had me a bit rattled.

Do you have a body form to put the jacket on? Can you put it on yourself to see how the shoulder caps look with you in it? It may look entirely different when filled out.

Do you have a body form to put the jacket on? Can you put it on yourself to see how the shoulder caps look with you in it? It may look entirely different when filled out.

I've tried it on, and they're...meh. They aren't totally awful, but I expect better off myself, so not getting it right after I practiced on some scraps really upsets me.

Could you shorten the caps as they will be under the epaulettes? That or bring the sleeve out more?
Those are two strategies I've considered. The other is to go deeper by adding a fabric "facing" to the cap that will more uniformly pull under. This may be how I spend Memorial Day.

Did some tinkering over the holiday weekend, and it's still a ways from screen accurate. This is without a "facing" installed under the shoulder cap, so maybe that will be the key. I'm concerned that further tinkering will result in the entire jacket getting junked.

Attachments

• 20200525_173134.jpg
    20200525_173134.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 20200525_173123.jpg
    20200525_173123.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 20200525_173037.jpg
    20200525_173037.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 151
Took another run at the shoulders. They are better, but still not perfect. I literally cannot find anything about the technique used to create the pleat on the shoulder cap (last photo).

Attachments

• 20200528_133321.jpg
    20200528_133321.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
  • 20200528_133410.jpg
    20200528_133410.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 20200528_133452.jpg
    20200528_133452.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 137
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 139
I haven't had much time to work on this lately, but today I was able to get the collar and waistband piping pinned. It gives the jacket a more complete look and reaffirms I did a passable job on this thing.

Still have to install the lining though.

Attachments

• 20200604_110329.jpg
    20200604_110329.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
I wasn't going to post another update until I had the lining and zipper in, but this is too good to not share immediately: the jacket buckle (fabricated by the legendary @GeekToyLove) arrived, and I had to see how it would look. IT LOOKS AWESOME

Attachments

• 51prqf.jpg
    51prqf.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 176
I wasn't going to post another update until I had the lining and zipper in, but this is too good to not share immediately: the jacket buckle (fabricated by the legendary @GeekToyLove) arrived, and I had to see how it would look. IT LOOKS AWESOME

GREAT MAKER !!!!! That does look fantastic !!!! Is that from my measurements?

Congratulations on the beautiful project (are there completed photos?). I know this is almost a year old at this point, but I am about to embark on the same crazy journey and while this is a great starting point, I was wondering if you had lessons learned for the project, such as how you got the epaulettes to behave or if you figured out the shoulder pleats. Additionally, if you have sources for the metal parts you liked as I have plenty of garbing and other sewing experience, but little experience and no tools when it comes to metal working. Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back