AA/SDS recasting issue...

Originally posted by Qui-Gonzalez+Feb 15 2006, 05:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Qui-Gonzalez @ Feb 15 2006, 05:03 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Gytheran
@Feb 15 2006, 05:37 PM
Don't know... if I sold 500 helmets at $800 a pop(400k), I think would have the funds for counsel...
[snapback]1185361[/snapback]​
Big lawfirm=big hourly rate.
[snapback]1185385[/snapback]​
[/b]

Exactly, and basically he was supporting TWO well known legal firms (from what other legal counsels have said). How long to keep doing both? Through a possibly long, drawn out USA case? Or cut that loss, after the initial shot-in-the-dark, and then just support the local UK one. That makes fiscal sense to me.

And I don't think this was ever really a copyright case overall, as evidenced in his careful avoidance of the use of Star Wars in the sales and such on the websites. I think (again all assumptions of course) that he took a shot at getting it thrown out in the USA under a copyright but his "fight" was always more creation. Now...how is that different? I haven't a clue, but we've heard (at the RPB) that in the UK it *is* considered different. Will that have an impact in the decision, the monetary reperations, etc? Don't know...but if that is the case and is brought before the UK judgement, it might mean substantially less damages than fighting out a long case in the USA would have been.

I have to admit, regardless of some of the harsh commentaries that have gone back/forth, I have learned a lot from BOTH sides and personally bear no grudges in any of this. I look at all this like politics, money, or religion...just things you shouldn't talk about if you don't want to get emotional. :p

Originally posted by exoray+Feb 15 2006, 10:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(exoray @ Feb 15 2006, 10:05 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-BingoBongo275
@Feb 15 2006, 04:24 PM
1) The prohibative cost of fighting legal action in a foreign land. You'd have to have very DEEP pockets to do that, and clearly AA doesnt.

Except for a little upcharge for phone conversations (most are probably email anyway, today) there is no more cost involved in fighting it from a foreign land or here... Unless he was doing a pro se defense.... But,yes I will admit it's costly, and the reason that only a few of these types of cases go all the way... But, as LFL pointed out AA has made well into the six figures selling these items, he isn't a poor man... And if AA had all this evidence and a rock solid case to back him up that he was legit and had the rights, he would have probably been able to shop around for a pro bono law firm to tackle the case, without any out of pocket, as the rewards will be many hundreds of millions...

[snapback]1185386[/snapback]​
[/b]

Sorry Flynn but you're incorrect here.

There is a huge difference in cost between a British person fighting a legal case in the UK and in the US. Huge.

Not only that but as discussed before it may well be that AA's claims to copyright are stronger under UK law than in the US.

Cheers

Jez

So guys, who here is looking forward to "Revenge of the Sith"? I hear that its going to be really exciting and bring the PT to a fitting climax.

Oh and I hear Lucas and Spielberg may be doing a fourth Indiana Jones Movie too. I cant wait!

Cheers

Jez

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back