A-Wing Pilot Helmet - Hardware ID help needed

Howlrunner

Sr Member
I'm finally getting around to finishing an A-Wing Pilot helmet kit I bought and am going for a specific movie pilot scheme (it won't be 100% as there's not enough good reference, but I want it as accurate as I can).

I'm trying to identify two greeblies (three would be nice, but pics of the third are virtually non-existent), both of which I believe are hardware, rather than model kit parts - just don't have much experience with this stuff, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

composite.jpg

Part 1 - Red arrow - Some kind of wire connector/holder.

Part 2 - Green arrow - Another, much larger, chunkier, kind of wire connector.

Part 3 - Blue arrow - no idea....

Anyone know what these parts are, or some close enough ID that I can search for parts online?

Here's another reference, from an auction catalogue.

Attachments

• a wing helmet.jpg
    a wing helmet.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 172
Unfortunately it's really tough to say what any of the greeblies are. It's hard to say which are hardware or model kit parts and which were built by the costume makers. Another thing to keep in mind is that they all have different greeblies... Just like the B-wing pilot helmets (which I'm working on) there are lots of different greeblies that appear on different A-wing pilot helmets, like the costume makers just glued on whatever they had lying around the shop.

The best you can usually do is just look at your references and make something as close as you can, and taking some creative interpretation for things you can't clearly make out. That's what I've done a lot for my B-wing pilot helmet greeblies... Some of the greeblies I had no idea what they were or really looked like but they kind of reminded me of something, so I made something with that idea in mind. For example, one of the side greeblies on one of the helmets is a big circular piece with some kind of tiny tube on the front with a wire going through it, and a gold-colored half circle at a slant on one side... It kind of reminded me of a pencil compass in a way so I made a greeblie that kind of resembled that idea, with the tiny tube being what would hold a pencil, and the gold part being what you would use to adjust the the width of the compass.

That said, Ywingfighterfrank on the Rebel Legion forum (he's on here as well) made some greeblies for the A-wing pilot helmet he sold and they look pretty good. So there's an option. I have one of his A-wing pilot helmets and a set of greeblies.

Thanks for the pic KurtyBoy. I have loads of A-Wing helmet reference pics, including the different views of the pre-production helmet you posted, but as Blue Leader points out, all of the helmets had different greeblies on them. It's the colour scheme and greeblies of the particular helmet I posted that I'm trying to match as best as I can, and unfortunately, the pics of it I posted in that composite are the only images of that particular helmet that exist (yeah, I really probably should have gone with another one of the paint schemes that are seen in the Star Wars Costumes book....).

The red arrowed piece appears to be the same greeblie that has been used on three different helmets (which is why I've posted photos of sections of those helmets that show the same part, but in better detail), and, as least to my eye, looks like an actual real-world wire connector/fastening point.

It's the YWingFighter (Frank) helmet kit that I'm working on Blue Leader. I have the greeblies that come with it, and have used one or two, but not all of them match what is seen on this particular helmet, but rather are based on other styles of helmet (pretty loosely in some cases). I'm just looking for something close to the greeblies I've indicated - I realise that the chances of finding the exact match are very slim (and to be honest, my helmet is already not exactly 100% due to the initial sculpt and how I've chosen to apply the brown leather trim).

I'm looking for ideas on what sort of thing to search for - I'm pretty sure that there should be wire connectors that look about right, but have no idea what kind, or what name, to search under.

Last edited:
I had looking for myself for some greeblies and the green marked is a military connector like Amphenol or other one.I became a very good picture in my hands but its not allowed me to share it. The only one I can say its marked with V58037-6A. The mic holder are from Tamiya yamaha midnight special but not the same I make first for my kits..its the other.
Other parts I found are from an Tamiya Harley Davidson Motorpart, Flakpanzer Gepard and Turbine parts of an Revell 1/32 Phantom.

The photo on the left above is almost 100% accurate to the blue arrow piece. The only difference in that photo and what is attached to the helmet that I can see is the screw down clamp bar in the photo has an arc in it, going over the wire. The one with the helmet is straight across, no arc. There is a "3" in the center of it. One screw is going up, showing the thread (closest to the front) and the back screw is going down. Black paper tape is wrapped around two black wires and two gray wires that come out of it for about three inches.

I have a close up photo of this pieces that I took when I visited the archives in 2011. I can't post the photos online as a condition of being allowed to take the photos, so I can only describe them.

Hope that helps some!

Scott

Awesome, thanks guys! Gives me something tangible to focus on now.

YWingFighter, are you saying that this is the correct mic holder part then?:

1652_1_tam16034_5.jpg

Skaught, maybe you can be of a little more help then... On the photo I posted, of the helmet shown in profile on the display head, on the cheek area there in a red stripe and then some black markings above it. Do you know if the black markings say anything in particular, or are an "alien" language, or are a design?

Also, the red shape on the blast shield (top of head) section on the left side (as you look at it), do you know if that is a random "alien" design/shape that has been painted on, or if it's a distressed real-world sticker of some sort?

Last edited:
I hadn't taken notice of the A wing helmets before reading this thread. Boy you can tell where the cash strapped rebellion accountants spent their credits. Looks like the X wing boys got the lot and the A wings got what was left on the factory floor. I'm not sure you can count that as a helmet at all. It's not a million miles away from lobot's implants and no one is refering to lobot's helmet now are they?

2434, as far as I'm aware the part you link to is not the correct piece. The piece you linked to is the OTHER half of the Yamaha engine (which YWingFighter included with his helmet kit) - the part needed does not have that large angular lump on the side. You can see both parts in this image:

1652_1_tam16034_5.jpg

Awesome, thanks guys! Gives me something tangible to focus on now.

YWingFighter, are you saying that this is the correct mic holder part then?:

View attachment 452302

Skaught, maybe you can be of a little more help then... On the photo I posted, of the helmet shown in profile on the display head, on the cheek area there in a red stripe and then some black markings above it. Do you know if the black markings say anything in particular, or are an "alien" language, or are a design?

Also, the red shape on the blast shield (top of head) section on the left side (as you look at it), do you know if that is a random "alien" design/shape that has been painted on, or if it's a distressed real-world sticker of some sort?
100_1353.JPG100_1354.JPG

Part shows the exact position of the screw and it is glue on a plastic plate which is larger in diameter than the part.

It looks a bit like alien writing. I drew up a rough version of it. It should be a bit more even but the photo was taken at an angle.

Screen Shot 2015-03-18 at 1.03.03 PM.png

The thing on top of the helmet is definitely a distressed sticker. Mostly torn away.

Scott

YWingFighter, is that a part that you have yourself, and will be offering casts of?

2434, good eye. It may, be (would be great if it was), but I suspect it's probably a part that looks more like this one (which flares out in more of a trapezium shape, rather than a rectangle) from the prototype helmet:

Proto (4).jpg

Skaught or YWingFighter, are you able to confirm which style is correct?

Skaught, are you also able to shed any more light on the blue arrow part? Is it the same thing as the "Amphenol connector" (I suspect not, as it's much shallower in profile at least) on the other side, or is it a model kit part, or any other clue?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back