A new, ambitious, exciting Terminator project.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by ONEYE, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

My friend Ken has let me in on an extremely cool project. I don't think anyone has attempted anything like it in this size. It is modeled after this picture/link:

Screen-used

[​IMG]

In Terminator 2, after Arnold looses his arm and the T-1000 impales him, the T-800 has to use his back up power source to reactive. The movie did an extreme Close-Up (CU) and they only showed 1 eye rebooting... a very tight and up close shot. I couldn't find a clip.

This project is based on the studio model at approx. - 17"W x 13"H. This was done in a similar way Ken did a 3 foot Stay Puft Marshmallow Man about 6 years ago.
    [​IMG]

Ken hasn't finished the details in the eye sockets, nose, side ports, and eyes themselves. Side ports are not as important as only a small part will show. It is close to specs of the studio model.

Ken's still deciding how to display it - either on a base or mounted against the back wall of the inside of a display case. It is large enough so that electronics and wires can be hidden on the inside because it will be cast hollow. A base does seem more feasible and the right direction to take.

The hard part - the eyes will not be motorized but the iris' should be able to open and close with the red light source mounted in back. See the links below:

Endo eye test 3 - YouTube

ENDOEYE test #2 15mm iris - YouTube

The eyes are not fabricated yet... they would be about 60mm in diameter. For a piece this size, it should be ran in fiberglass, which is pretty light weight. If you choose to chrome-plate it, it would add significant weight. From front to back, I would stop at about 7-8 inches. The focal point are the eyes... anything more, and he might as well make the whole skull. Here's a place that sells the iris diaphragm and lens:

Optics, Imaging, and Photonics Technology - Edmund Optics I don't know where to get the motor or electronics. Both eyes need to work simultaneously.

This project may done in two ways, with electronics (more expensive) and without. For the non-electronics version burnt skin may be added.

It's hard to start projects at this time of year, so real work will start up early next year.

The actual prop does not look very threatening. Ken sculpted his using other references - his HCG and pictures. I would say it is probably close to looking like the M1. When he fabricate the eyes, he will position them to look more aggressive/meaner.

Ken or I will post more info/pictures when the project starts the real work. All this is just the initial prep work. Electronics, tightening up the sculpt, base fabrication, etc... is all on tap after the New Year. As this project progresses, other members may come on board to add their expertise.

WarPig and mbmcfarland like this.
  2. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! Speechless!

3. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Thanks! :cool:thumbsup

4. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Wow!!! That is very ambitious...and I'm excited:). You sir are the man. I can't wait to see what you do.(y)thumbsup

ONEYE likes this.
  5. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

OOOOOHHHHH, YES BABY................I so need one .........lol.........That operates with ONEYE working right..lol...sweet.....

ONEYE likes this.
  6. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Both eyes will work. This is Endoskeleton's (Ken's) project. I just help where/when I can.

7. silverskyes402

silverskyes402 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's freaking amazing, when I first got the art of Stan Winston studios book I remember thinking how awesome a replica of this piece would be!

ONEYE likes this.
  8. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

very cool and it would look good as a piece anywhere in the house.

ONEYE likes this.
  9. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Suggestions, advice are welcome.

10. Endoskeleton

Endoskeleton Active Member

Thanks guys and much thanks to Rich for putting this together and posting it... and plastering it all over the internet :lol Dunno, was a bit reluctant to post this up. Oh and sorry, not big enough for you to crawl into and take a nap :lol

What I would love is to have the iris diaphragm open and close by remote control or motion sensor. Jamie is the only person I know whose actually done something like this, but I have not talked to him for a long time and kinda loss touch. Maybe if he happens upon this thread here or the EBC, he can tell me to stop dreaming or that I'm crazy. Also open to suggestions and possibly working out some sort of trade or commission for someone to do the working eyes.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
    ONEYE likes this.
  11. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Extremely cool!

ONEYE likes this.
  12. Endoskeleton

Thank you. Your DS is waaay beyond cool :thumbsup

13. Endoskeleton

Some people have asked how big this is compared to the actual skull. I would say about 250%.

14. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man you are going to have a hard time finding a big enough pair of Persols for him! ;)

Very, very cool Project

15. Endoskeleton

Lol. Nice one... thank you!

ONEYE likes this.
  16. Bubbaman

Bubbaman Active Member

Very cool !!!

ONEYE likes this.
  17. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

Maybe vidcam lenses would give a suitable eye effect as well? They come in different sizes, and the iris is electronically controlled...

ONEYE likes this.
  18. jkno

jkno Master Member

A great project!!!

ONEYE likes this.
  19. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

This is going to be great!

20. Endoskeleton

Hi Tex, that may be a good idea... but I wouldn't know how to modify it :cry I will surely look into this and other options.

I hope so :lol

ONEYE likes this.
  21. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that this project is still going to happen.

22. Endoskeleton

Have been putting in a lot of work into this project lately. Here's a few snaps of one of the eyes. It's about the size of a tennis ball. Playing around and adjusting the depth of the inner 'red' pupil... at this scale, iit should be faint like in the bottom pics. The grid pattern is present in T2 whereas it is not in T1. I'm not sure which effect I like better yet... but I made it so that the inside can be switched around or modified.

More updates soon. Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. mutronics

mutronics Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool!

24. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Exciting! Even just the eye rocks!

25. jasonw2112

jasonw2112 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome project! It looks like you have figured out the eye shutter part of the project. Or is that still open for topic? I was thinking you could use an old automatic 35mm camera lens. I pass them up at flea markets all the time (rather cheap). The trick is gutting them properly to work, and fit within the area. Just an idea!

26. Caveneau

Caveneau Sr Member

Very cool project.

27. Endoskeleton

Thanks! That's pretty much what I did ;) Here's a pic of the inside. The iris diaphragm sits in rather nicely. I also built in some detail although none of it will be seen in the final product. But just the blades of the aperture gives off a pretty cool effect.

I understand how the diaphragm functions but I don't know anything about electronics to make it work. The apertures of both eyes would have to open and close in conjunction and speed with one another. Did a light test earlier and all is looking pretty good. Even without the movement, I think I'll be pretty happy.

[​IMG]

28. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

I just had another endogasm!

29. Endoskeleton

30. Death Grin

Death Grin Active Member

Oh so cool!!

31. T 800

T 800 New Member

32. Endoskeleton

Yeah, if I was rich, I'd have dropped a big chunk on it as well.