A HAL 9000 faceplate from scratch

concommie : the lens in question was made by a company called SD Studios. Or, more accurately, they paid a Chinese lens factory to manufacture them to their specifications. The glass lens simulates the look of a Nikkor 8mm f/8 primary element, though it's a couple of millimetres too large in diameter. They were used for building a HAL 9000 replica produced by SD Studios some years ago.

The principal behind the company had some leftover lenses from the product, and he resold them on eBay a year or two ago. It was controversial because he was also involved in Master Replicas, a prop replica venture that promised a more accurate and advanced HAL 9000 product. However, MR fell into bankruptcy and many people lost large sums of money, because they put money down on a non-existent product that never shipped.

So. The only way to get one of those replica lenses now is to buy one off somebody who bought one via eBay.

The height of the outer ring convinces me that “shaving down“ the piece on my Mobius Hal to eliminate the incorrect outer ridge is the right call to correct the most bothersome (to me) inaccuracy in that kit. But I’ll need a spare to experiment with for that. ;)

Finally got around to it. Easy enough upgrade till something better comes along. ;)

Also found a faceplate decal by an Etsy seller with a more accurate blue hue.

Attachments

• 8DEF55A6-54E8-4A8D-B362-1FF223EFAD59.jpeg
    8DEF55A6-54E8-4A8D-B362-1FF223EFAD59.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • 99AA0A67-9367-4287-B895-3C52688D1619.jpeg
    99AA0A67-9367-4287-B895-3C52688D1619.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • halinf.jpg
    halinf.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
So speaking of getting a replica lens for a HAL faceplate, I have an interest post going at the moment.

So speaking of getting a replica lens for a HAL faceplate, I have an interest post going at the moment.

Thanks for that Neil; I'm afraid that, at the moment, I couldn't buy your wonderful replica. Too many things happening right now:(
Hopefully, many others will be interested and will make this project a success.(y)(y)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back