9 – 10 foot tall Sucker Punch Samurai Costume

JamesBaron

Hi!

My name is James Baron and I would like to create a Sucker Punch Giant Samurai costume that is between 9 and 10 feet tall. The costume would be proportional. In other words it would not be a tall, skinny samurai, but a full bodied figure.

Before I go into any more detail, I would like to tell you all a little bit about myself. I just recently attended the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo and I had a blast. It was my 3rd year there and the 2nd year I dressed up as Wolverine (movie “tank top” version). I made my own costume, part of which was metal claws I could wear without gloves so they looked like they were actually coming out of my hands! Here is the location of my photos on Facebook showing my costume and claws:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_14718621017&id=10150302756241018#!/profile.php?id=100001062403548&sk=photos

I love making and dressing up in costumes, but I have never attempted making one so complex or possibly impossible to wear. That is why I would love to get some input from the RPF community on how to make this costume a reality!

I have been thinking about this costume for several days—and nights—now, and I have some ideas on how to create this costume:

· Buy a pair of used ski boots to attach to the prosthetic lower legs/feet (making me more stable)
· Lower legs would extend 24 inches below the bottoms of my feet
· Prosthetic lower legs/platforms/stilts would be made of wood and/or PVC pipes
· I could use wire fencing people use to keep pests out of gardens to create the wire frames for the legs, arms, body
· Use EVA foam to pad the wire frames and to make the armour worn by the Samurai
· Use rubber car floor mats to line the bottom of the prosthetic feet for better traction
· Use a metal backpack frame to attach the body to me, making it more stable and controllable
· Both arms would be entirely prosthetic, using PVC pipes and wire fencing. There would be rods inside the body—attached to the shoulder joints—I would use to move the arms
· Install multiple battery-operated fans to keep me cool.
· The head would be about 24 inches above my own head. It could also be attached to a rod to move it: turn, swivel, look down, cock to one side inquisitively. It could be made of papier-mâché or EVA foam.
· The minigun could be made of EVA foam/cardboard/PVC pipe
· There would be red lights in the eyes
· Put a speaker in the head and microphone by my mouth for talking
· Try to make the whole costume as light-weight as possible so I can actually walk, move, etc.
Soooo…any thoughts, suggestions, comments? I have about 8 months to make it. :eek

Last edited by a moderator:
Use Motocross boots instead of ski boots. You'll need comfortable yet study boots that you can simply velcro closed.

Paul D.

Use Motocross boots instead of ski boots. You'll need comfortable yet study boots that you can simply velcro closed.

Paul D.

Do they bend at the ankles? I figured if I used ski boots then the ankles would be solid. The samurai’s knee would be my knee, so I want the prosthetic lower leg to be rigid at my ankle joint. The diameter of the calf would be slightly larger than my boot so it would not be detected. The samurai’s waist would be about my chest level, so the “skirt” part would hide the fact that my thighs don’t meet higher up… :confused

Do they bend at the ankles? I figured if I used ski boots then the ankles would be solid. The samurai’s knee would be my knee, so I want the prosthetic lower leg to be rigid at my ankle joint. The diameter of the calf would be slightly larger than my boot so it would not be detected. The samurai’s waist would be about my chest level, so the “skirt” part would hide the fact that my thighs don’t meet higher up… :confused

If you will be building more giant-size costumes in the future, you might want to consider picking up a $75-150 pair of Drywall Stilts. They will be more comfortable, lighter and more stable than anything you can build.

Stilt_04CF3078-049E-9D29-740EC1F089456241.jpg

HERE is a 18"-30" set on Amazon for $82.

With the rest of the build... just remember to 'keep it light.' It might not be much weight piece-by-piece, but all added up is going to make you top-heavy and will reduce the time you can be in the costume.

Good luck! I can't wait to see what you create!!! :):thumbsup

Wow! Drywall stilts! They would be perfect and they articulate using springs. Being adjustable for height is perfect since I could get a better feel for high I can be before I invest too much time in making the costume to the scale I want.

Thanks for the suggestion, Indie Film Geek! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back