66" TOS Enterprise completed

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by t2sides, Oct 11, 2005.

1. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Well, those of you who know me, know this has been a long task. BUT, the "BIG E" is finally done. It's been a labor of love, and is great to finally see this big beauty done and on display.
    http://squaremodels.com/66enterprise.htm

I will also be making a table for it, and a huge acrylic 'cover' lid that will enclose it and keep it dust free. I also have to make a 'carrying case' to take it out for shows at some point. (If I can get it out of the basement.) I've run the lighting and engines for about 6 hours straight, and it keeps on going strong.

I'm also planning to make a 'control panel' with a TOS style bridge console to turn it on/off.

BTW, I've also started on the F/M Viper, a link is on my home page.

Cheers.

-Sean
    http://squaremodels.com

2. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Sean that is absolutely gorgeous. Those pics look right out of the "Trials and Tribblations" with the crispness and how fantastic that model looks. Just fantastic.

3. victory201

victory201 Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

All I can say is:

:eek

Fantastic Job........

4. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

5. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You found some great screen grabs from the old show. No grain ner matte lines or nuthin. :D

[​IMG]

Well done, and a fantastic miniature. ;)

- k

6. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm not a star trek fan but that is outstanding..

7. star-art

star-art Sr Member

Well done Sean.. :D This is also a testament to Gary Kerr's skill in documenting the original miniature. Is this replica "dead-on balls accurate" or what?

8. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Congrats, Sean. Looks outstanding.. Great website, too - you've got some great documentation of the construction. So, are you relieved? Or, a bit sad? Both? :)

Best,
    Allan

9. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Great job. Keep Ed Miarecki away from that beauty. :)

(I just realized that his name may be pronounced Me-a-Recky.) :eek:

10. KrokoHunter

KrokoHunter Sr Member

Hi Sean ..

Congrats on the great result.

She's a real beauty.

Isn't it kind of weird, to finally being done with the project ??? what to do next...

Frank and Moes Viper, perhaps ??

Again great piece of work.. Really outstanding.

Cheers
    Niels

11. Galactifan

Galactifan Sr Member

REALLY NICE JOB... Come over and build me one. :)

12. Archie Opteryx

Archie Opteryx Well-Known Member

Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations.

13. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Well-Known Member

Very nice job.

Although there doesn't appear to be a lot of weathering on the secondary hull or nacelles, the weathering on the top of the saucer appears to be dead-on.

(Yeah, everybody's main complaint about the restoration of the 11-foot shooting model is that the weathering -- especially on the underside of the saucer section -- was way overdone. I'm sorry, but I don't see how Ed Miarecki can justify that harsh staining/shadowing pattern on the saucer. It just doesn't look right...)

I wonder, though... Are the nacelle cap covers frosted with the vane pattern like the original model's and do they rotate? The lighting pattern behind the caps seems "right," but there's no indication in the pictures of how else the caps are.

14. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm speechless. That is one gorgeous model, magnificent.

Dave C

15. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

That's absolutely amazing. Give ya $20 for it :)

16. pyxl

pyxl Well-Known Member

Congratulations.
    That is just a beautiful piece of work. The model itself is top-notch and your assembly and paint is outstanding in and of itself.

I'd love to see it in person sometime. Let us know if you plan to have it anywhere public.

17. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Unbelievable.

Great job.

18. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Well thanks everyone, your feedback is VERY much appreciated. Really enjoy seeing your responses.

I'll try to answer a few questions from above:

Nacelles 'fans' - They are definitely there, the camera though blurs them out.
    On my page 2 construction, http://squaremodels.com/66enterprisepage2.htm, there are links to .mov files that show the nacelles moving.
    http://squaremodels.com/images/fan.jpg is also a pic of the 'fans'.

Weathering - It's all there, the camera just faded it out. Subtle streaking exists on the secondary hull, engine struts and on the engines themselves.

Yes, I have started on Frank/Moe's viper - my homepage has a link.

Yes, this model will be on display. For sure, it will be at StarFest 2006 in Denver, and I'll be at WonderFest 2006 in Louisville.

Yes, I'm a bit sad. Used to coming home from work practically every day and fiddling with this. BUT, it's also fantastic to just sit back and watch this baby run..

Well, thank you all again for your comments and support.
    -Sean

19. mr.predicta

mr.predicta Well-Known Member

Yes, this model will be on display. For sure, it will be at StarFest 2006 in Denver, and I'll be at WonderFest 2006 in Louisville.

Great. I will look forward to wonderfest next year.
    thanks for sharing.

20. Wolvster1

Wolvster1 Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Most DEFINATELY the most BEAUTIFUL
    rendition of the old CLASSIC I have seen . :thumbsup

I'm curious, how the HECK can you move that sucker ?
    I mean, did you make it so you can break it down
    if needs be ??

Of course, I ask as I would LOVE to see that at WONDERFEST
    this comming year .... You would get so many OFFERS and open wallets
    to take her off your hands that I couldn't BEGIN to count the way's .

:love

21. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Too funny Kip.. And thank you.

Yes, I am building a padded 'crate' for transporting it, it does not break down at all, so it is very susceptible. I have the plans to make it as secure as possible, so I think it will be good to go for WF2006.

Look forward to your continued exceptional works as well.
    -Sean

22. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Sean,

So thats why your looking to join the unit.. Your gonna need all kinds of security to display that thing.. :lol

Smart move.. the AirForce is a great place to find planes big enough to ship that monster. It was good meeting you again this weekend.. I got to get up to the mountain and see this fantastic piece. So are you going to scratch a klingon Battle Cruiser to scale?

Steve

23. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Right on Steve.. Need all the protection I can get. :) And it was great seeing your office at the base, very cool.

I have seriously considered doing up a "Botany Bay" to go next to it, and a Klingon BattleCruiser to scale is definitely on my 'down the road' list.

You are welcome up to see it any time.

Later,
    -Sean

24. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

WOW.

You need to rent that out to the fan film guys.

Fantastic.

25. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

What an incredible project competed. It really belongs in a permanent exhibit somewhere....

just amazing...

:cheers,

T

26. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

That is the most beautiful model "Enterprise" I have ever seen. Just wonderful. You should be proud of her.

27. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's better than the one Paul Allen has in his Seattle Sci Fi Museum. ;)

- K

28. Protector

Protector New Member

Congratulations. It must feel great to finish such a large project. I really couldn't tell how large it was until I saw a picture of you standing next to it.

When you get around to packing it up and taking it to shows, will you take it whole, or do you have a way to break it down and put it back together easily? It's hard for me to imagine this thing being carried around in a display case. Maybe the case will have wheels and you'll be able to just pull it around. Ha-ha.

Don't you wonder what people without basements do? I live in Arkansas, and basements are not common here because the water table is too high. We have to find room to do projects IN THE HOUSE. It can be challenging. Our latest set-up is in, of all places, the bathroom. It was the only place left in the house where a large table could be added. You gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

Good luck with the case and your other projects.

29. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hate to just say this and move on but that is just amazing. I completely speechless and in awe of it. Incredible work.

30. ShowCraft

ShowCraft Well-Known Member

Stunning model and perfect workmanship. Cant wait to see her in person at WONDERFEST.

31. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks so much everyone for the kind words. Very much appreciated.

As to 'packing' this baby up for travel, It will go in as one whole piece. Doesn't break down. I am building a padded boxed 'crate' that will transport this, similar to studio model transporting.

Looking forward to seeing those of you at Wonderfest.

Later,
    -Sean

32. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Sean,..
    You truly are an amazing modeler. That 1701 is GORGEOUS. You did an awesome job. Then again,..I have never seen anything but the best from you.
    Is that a kit from Jim Key or a scratch build?
    I would love to get something of yours for the museum.