45. Longslide with Laser Products sight, update

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Demetrius, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Demetrius

Demetrius Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello all, been on the backburner for awhile but it now looks like this project of mine will be moving forward. had some good resources here on the Replica Prop Forum notably http://www.therpf.com/f9/terminator-story-45-longslide-laser-sighting-81684/ did try to purchase this on a firearm auction site [​IMG]

Wanted to split this purchase but did not pan out. I believe this Laser Products Corp. model 7 laser tube was used for the Longslide version, will need to have someone build a copy. I dont think it will have the wire "Nub" protrusion on the rear bell that can be seen in the film closeup of the gun during the "Alamo gunshop scene"

So my hunt turned to finding the base for the gun. and I did manage to find an aluminum conversion kit for the WA longslide GBB . I have since gotten some parts added but need to find a suitable Hardballer trigger. as the one that was found is not accurate.
    [​IMG]

I will post pics when the gun is prepped, although I am afraid that it will not fire BBs. it will reside on my wall to be admired:love

the gun below is not mine but the Original gun I post it here to give you some reference to compare
    against the grip mount I found
    [​IMG]

as for the scope mount that fits to the grip base screws, I had always thought that they were custom made.

[​IMG]

I have recently just won a set off of Evilbay and I cannot wait to begin filing off that "NPC" and shining the piece. I also need some thoughts on whether or not to cut off the rear portion as seen in the "Hero" closeup or leave it be as the practical version. any thought? I will post progress pics this time around :):):)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Terminator Longslide mit LASER build

Cool project! I've been wanting to see someone make on of these for a while!

Subscribed!

Nick

3. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

That is awesome ,always loved that gun from the 1st Terminator movie ,awesome find too ,keep us posted.........

4. nick daring

[​IMG]

5. Demetrius

Re: 45. Longslide with lasersighting, hero build

Thanks guys.

Well the mount has arrived, and I must say I was surprised to see that the finish was rough with some sharp casting edges and thankfully a cheap paint that was not anodized. Also scratchbuilt the trigger, will have to fine tune the shape later.

[​IMG]

And after some sanding.

[​IMG]

I did have to cutout a bit of the rear ejection port clearance cut as there was a triangular piece for strength.

[​IMG]

No major problems with fit overall, but I did have to file out the bottom grip screw hole to allow the gripmount to sit firmly onto the frame. Finally the front portion of the rail had to be shortened to fit flush with the ring mount.
    the rear slot will have to be cut off completely but I will wait.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.:):):)

6. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool!!

Gonna be awsome when you finish!!

7. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

Love it!

8. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

coolio! I have a hardballer but it is the standard size.

9. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

looks great

10. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

just got finished reading about the REAL gun in a 199 centennial magazine ive had laying around.

that first picture you posted............ They were orginally making these for Colt Troopers and making a custom funky grip to house the power supply.
    For the T1 gun, they had to run a wire up Arnies sleeve

11. nick daring

Oh weird! I didn't even notice that wire leading into the grip. Interesting design.

[​IMG]

12. Demetrius

You can see where the wire went into the LASER just above the rear sight on the screen used version as well, but the wire is missing on the non working prop. Also note the sloped barrel locking lug in the ejection port, to make blank firing rounds function properly.

[​IMG]

13. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

LOVE this pistol. Can't wait to see it finished!

14. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Saved these pictures from a older thread about the longslide. I think the original maker commented or there was linked to an article with the original maker - can't remember which. Anyway, hope you can use them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Unsure whether this last one is the original gun or a replica, but thought I'd post it anyway. [​IMG]

In the Tech Noir scene - the reason Arnold has his left arm in across his chest was to activate the laser, with the pack being in his chest pocket or something. And until I read that... I just thought he did it to look cool.
    [​IMG]

Are you gonna make yours exactly like the hero gun or are you making the laser self-contained and turning on when squeezing the trigger as explained in the movie?

15. Demetrius

Thanks for the comments, and thank you TMGarlic for the pics.

To answer your question as to how I will construct the LASER I will put a 5mw red laser in the tube with some switch to activate it. As to HOW i will do this is open to suggestion. first thought would be to make a "touch" switch on the trigger itself, anyone?. if that is not possible, then my solution is to put a small push button switch into the grip safety. to avoid using wires I would maybe use some optical relay of some sort, perhaps an IR sensor where the wire protrusion would be? then some emitter activated with the switch.

16. tim

tim Sr Member

^ I think it would be easier just to sneak some thin wires where you need them to go. As you'll (I assume) be using a diode laser, you won't need hefty wiring to power it.

17. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

The rail mount seems pretty thick, maybe you could sneak a wire out of the sight tube just next to the mounting ring, and dremel a channel onto the side/inside of the rail mount arm, in which to sneak wires to a switch within the handgrip?

_A

18. Demetrius

Thanks for the suggestions but I am very hesistant to cut into the mount as I feel very lucky to have gotten it in the first place, the cuts would show up quite easily as you can see.

[​IMG]

It is strictly a showpiece and I intend to keep it as accurate to the prop. I think I will use some method to remotely activate the laser. Good quality pictures will be posted when it is done.:love

19. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Great project. Can't wait to this finished.

20. the Pawn

the Pawn Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Demetrius, Howard is back in town and we plan on discussing the build tomorrow. We will contact u afterwards on our thoughts on the laser sight.

21. Demetrius

Been a slow few months for me, but here is a small progress update. Right now I have been contacting machinists to build the laser housing tube with no success:(, I do have an aluminum blank that waits for a lathe to work it, (I contacted my highschool metal shop) but right now this is how the project sits. Below is a 50 mw red laser I intend to use. the resin lasertube was provided by a member here but I find it a little short:confused.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Demetrius

Who may I ask here to turn this out on a lathe? These are my measurements as to the dimensions of the lasertube.

[​IMG]

23. Death Grin

Death Grin Active Member

Any update?

24. Demetrius

Just a small update, after a long search and wait I finally decided to buy this Laser Products Corp. mini-14 laser unit. I convinced the seller to remove the laser from the rifle and he will ship soon. I now ask if anyone here is familiar with these mounts and how hard it would be to remove the tube from the barrel clamps? also as I intend to place a modern laser into it, would there be interest in the HeNe gas laser internals to recover cost? in any event this project will move forward:)
    [​IMG]

25. Demetrius

Re: 45. Longslide with laser products sight.

"These are brand new, we just got them in today!":cool

[​IMG]

The aperture on the laser, it is protected with a plastic cover.

[​IMG]

With the protector removed.

[​IMG]

to remove the laser tube from the proprietary mount I had to unscrew the ring behind the rear scope ring.

[​IMG]

the unit freed from the Mini-14 mount. A nice surprise, the ring that is between the "bell" and the scope ring on the hero model is practical and not an aesthetic feature as I had thought :) rather it is for mounting the unit securely.

[​IMG]

The front of the laser reassembled, it was held on with some adhesive that is still visible.

[​IMG]

the unit on my Longslide.:love. (the segregated ring is still on as I could not remove the rear "bell" section to remove them) still not as accurate as the one onscreen but ill live with it. will have it blasted to a shine then install a modern laser into it. Thanks for looking and will have a photo shoot when all is done.

26. Contec

Contec Master Member

I never notice that Arnolds gun still has the price tag hanging from it.:lol

27. Demetrius

Actually, I am looking for the exact same price tag to put on it lol. The price will reflect what these lasers usually went for at the time, plus inflation.:love

28. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

I absolutely love your project.....breathtaking......

29. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Looking incredible, very envious:love

30. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

I agree with Mr Webber totally on this comment....extremely envious..:$(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

31. Demetrius

Thank you:)

[​IMG]

32. Demetrius

[​IMG]

Got a Desantis rig for the UZI, will have to flip the holder upside down to make it SA. Its also a bit tight, I did manage to place both snaps over the UZI. The laser is not giving up its insides too easily I contacted Surefire but they cant share such information I'm afraid :unsure.

33. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Just keeps getting better and better.:cool

34. Demetrius

Finally decided to dust this off and continue. I managed to pry the rear cover off the bell end and found it to be friction fitted:rolleyes, inside I found a green rubber holding the electronics in place then was able to coax the LASER unit out the fron end. The HeNe LASER I will post FS later.

[​IMG]

I next installed a newer 30mw LASER diode, and placed a temporary pressure switch in order to say "Sarah Connor?" whenever the wife and kids were out.
    [​IMG]

35. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Dude, that is plain wicked, I love the laser sight .....

36. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

GW Dem. Must get mine done.

SAS

37. Lead Farmer

Lead Farmer New Member

Super sweet Longslide! Im new to this forum, found your post while I was trying to find out more info on a shotgun I found way back in a closet. Uses the same laser tube and setup you are working with.
    Its a Remington 870 LPC 7 made in 1981. It has all the labels and stickers showing date of manufacture, but I can find little else on this shotgun, It is identical to the one used in Commando, if you follow this link.

I dont really know how to post pictures, but you probably already know which shotgun Im referring. One again, nice Long slide, I remember when they first came out. If you have any info on parts or such, leadfarmer2013@hotmail.com Any info or advice is greatly appreciated, sorry if this might be posted in the wrong section. Regards all.

[​IMG]

38. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd suggest starting your own thread on the shotgun. You might get more attention on the subject.

39. Dann

Dann Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice work, and nice finds!

You need to finish the trigger and get a flat mainspring housing!

40. Demetrius

Emailed you Leadfarmer. I appreciate any info on this laser and hope you can post photos here.

Thanks, wish I could get the airsoft longslide gun and be finished already, but spent a crazy amount of money. Ill take care of the mainspring housing soon and trigger when time permits:)

41. Caer Bannog

Caer Bannog New Member

Great work Demetrius that is one hell of a hero prop :cool . I have two AMT Hardballers (WA Airsoft) one of which I am turning into a useable airsoft Terminator longslide. Thanks to you I was also able to aquire an NPC scope mount from the US of A :D which is amazing since they seem to have gone out of production in the 80's. I have taken the dremel to it to trim the rear weaver mount to size and manage to obtain the right weaver scope ring.

I'm envious of the fact that you have the genuine article Surefire laser. I was wondering if you still have the resin laser body or could point me in the direction of the producer of said resin body.

42. Caer Bannog

Caer Bannog New Member

Demetrius I know you posted a diagram for the laser sight with dimentions on, I was wondering if you could confirm the dimentions you estimated are correct to to the real thing?

43. Demetrius

Not sure if you got my PM about your last post, but in response to your next question I did compare the laser to my drawing and overall there was no discrepancy just minor ones related to the bell shape and the constriction ring. I will post a pic of the laser against a measured grid and add my measurements of it.

44. Caer Bannog

Caer Bannog New Member

Thanks very much I'm in the process of scratch building one from some odds and ends and a section of 1" diameter aluminium tube from an old shotgun project. Just need to come up with a way of completely concealing the wires for the switch.

45. nick daring

The resin stunt prop just went up for auction-
    H3257-L45061525.jpg

46. Laser fan

Laser fan New Member

Demetrius,
    Any spare parts from the laser products laser unit to sell? The diode ? Or external parts?
    I'd be interested if the price is right : )

47. Laser fan

Laser fan New Member

Nice build btw!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  48. Laser fan

Laser fan New Member

This is my "wanted dead or alive build"

Attached Files:

Noeland likes this.
  49. Demetrius

I loved that gun when I saw that movie. Thanks for sharing!

I still have the HeNe laser tube if you are interested in it.

50. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love it!

Used to carry mine a lot sadly when I had to go really bad parts of town, had a Custom rig by De santis built for it