3D Printed Narcissus Shuttle (full interior w/lighting) - WIP

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Okay, time for a new build! If you are looking for the files they are on the Gambody site.

Now, onto the new print. I have a good deal of kits in my stash that I need to get working on, but I keep finding 3D print files that I can't pass up! Ever since I build my Sulaco I have wanted a Narcissus model. I have been looking all over the place and I have found some good ones, even ones I could actually buy but not of them were quite the right fit. Either they were too small, made out of materials I was not interested in working with, or way, way too expensive for me. That's when I stumbled onto these files and purchased them right away.

I was off for a few days last month and decided to tear apart my storage room in order to make way for my new Ender Max and to house my other two exiting printers (along with getting them out of my office..):

20210214_231129.jpg

Time to put the Mini and the Saturn to good use and get these prints going:

20210307_165327.jpg

I have a few really cool plans for some lighting effects and something for the base, we will see how those go. At a minimum, I do plan to light the entire interior and put fiber-optic wires where I can.

All of the major parts have been printed. The only real parts left are some more of the interior, some of the lower details panels, the windows and the engines.

20210318_223359.jpg

20210318_224402.jpg

Very nice! Do you already know how you want to display it? With the airlock open would be cool, so you can see the nice interior. And maybe a little Big Chap next to it :cool:.

Very nice! Do you already know how you want to display it? With the airlock open would be cool, so you can see the nice interior. And maybe a little Big Chap next to it :cool:.

I have a few ideas but I am still working on them. For sure I will want to be able to see the interior. You can have the hatch in the back open but it's not super big. You can also make the front section removable but I am still working through that.

I did have one idea that involves a small close-up camera and an LCD screen on the display stand to really get a good view of the interior...

Big Chap, for sure :)

20210320_144553.jpg

I am trying to get all the engines printed this weekend. These large parts barely fit in my printer, but they are turning out great:

20210320_143952.jpg

Working on some more of the interior and testing the lighting. It has provisions to light some of the interior, I just need to print the cryo-tube tops with some clear resin.

I also want to drill some small holes for fiber optics, but I have not always had great luck since the resin is so brittle. If anyone has any advice lay it on me :)

20210401_221512.jpg

20210401_221521.jpg

20210401_221804.jpg

I also want to drill some small holes for fiber optics, but I have not always had great luck since the resin is so brittle. If anyone has any advice lay it on me :)

For powertools I think diamond pattern endmills, or maybe burr bits would do the trick, the latter going down to around 0.5mm Ø.
I imagine wandering would be a problem though.

Hand drilling I have had best luck with a pin vice, stopping when i feel the bit really digs in. Go counterclockwise until it does not grab. Rinse and repeat. A bit tedious, but so is reprinting. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back