32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 23

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 13

It´s absolutely great to see the first beginnings with its simple cut forms and then this result here!
A huge proof for patience ... I guess the greatest thing that is needed here beside of talent. :)

Had another thought on painting. What about mixing a custom color to match from tamiya or other paints and perhaps using the original floquil paints for the individual panels and weathering. Tamiya also has an oily black color that's fantastic for weathering but the floquil rust as well as the gray colors are very unique. So far Vaderdarth's daughter is the only person I've seen match the rust just right outside of using the floquil brand.:lol Just a thought.

Chris

Hey Chris, do you have piccys of vaderdarths daughter's ship ?...I'd like to see the colours..
Also, as you say, I think that it's a good idea to maybe get some floquil paint just to see what it's like..

Btw, if I do use this stuff...being an enamel, do I spray it straight onto bare plastic, or should I still use halfords primer first..? The halfords stuff is acrylic. I don't want any weird reactions like flakey paint or bubbling...explosions or melting...lol..

Cheers

Phil

Last edited:

Hey Phil,

I know originally the old Floquil Railroad Colors line was lacquer-based with its industrial strength Diosol thinner intended for the metal railroad car hobbyist, and therefore kind of hot for painting directly on styrene. Just one of the reasons most of these studio miniatures were primered first.

When Testors bought Floquil many years ago however, they changed the whole Railroad Color line to an enamel formula. They're the same colors, only much safer for spraying directly on models, which makes sense from Testor's perspective.

As for whether or not the current iteration will adhere to an acrylic undercoat, I know it works fine over Mr. Surfacer/Mr. Primer, but have no real experience with Halford's primer, so it probably wouldn't hurt to do a good bit of research and testing before trying that combination on your Falcon.

Last edited:

Ive used Floquil over Halfords Grey, and Matt black, with no catastrophes Phil.
Id let the primer sit for about a week or more on the model though, just in case.

lee

Good news Lee, Thanks a lot..

I dunno who Mr dots and dashes is,...is it morse code ?...anyhoo thanks as well for your advise..

The last time I used enamels was years ago, and I used to brush it straight onto the model, no halfords primer, no airbrush,...lol

Right so, do I need some "grime", and "boxcar red" or somesuch..?
Is there a list list of essential colours ?

Cheers

Phil

Last edited:

Yes Phil, think its Grime, Reefer white, Boxcar red, Maybe Reefer Yellow, oh and i think grimy black was a good one for weather streaks? At least, they are the colors that stand out to me.

Mr Dots and dashes is Kevin Phil lol, Beaz, knows his onions from his tomatoes i can tell you, bit of a guru i may add, not wanting to make him blush though :).

lee

Thanks Lee, so am I to lighten the grime with the white ?..as I was thinkin of doing with the tamiya deck tan/white mix do you think..? I've never seen this grime shade in the flesh so I dunno how dark it is..

I wonder what the grey shades are...

Kevin, sorry dude, I don't know too many people by first names here...just screen names mostly, but yours was a real mistery to me...no offence taken I hope..:angel..btw I need more guru's..

Lee, I just rang that sidings place you posted a while back... they've no grime or boxcar in stock...:cry...they did say they would be ordering more though, at some point...darn holdups..
Might go back to the tamiya stuff...

Phil

Right so, do I need some "grime", and "boxcar red" or somesuch..?

From my own experience and research, including what was apparently used by the model shop to paint Boba Fett's helmet as well, some good enamel Floquil Railroad colors to have on hand for your ESB Falcon are:

Reefer White
Grime
Boxcar Red
Caboose Red
Reefer Gray
Engine Black
Grimy Black
Depot Buff
Southern Pacific Armour Yellow
Reefer Yellow
Dark Blue
Pullman Green
Tuscan

I have one of each Railroad color in the shop, but this subset will get you most of what you'll need for most ILM miniatures. Base coat for the Falcon was apparently a mixture of Reefer White and Grime, some say 50/50.

Thanks Lee, so am I to lighten the grime with the white ?..as I was thinkin of doing with the tamiya deck tan/white mix do you think..? I've never seen this grime shade in the flesh so I dunno how dark it is..

I wonder what the grey shades are...

Kevin, sorry dude, I don't know too many people by first names here...just screen names mostly, but yours was a real mistery to me...no offence taken I hope..:angel..btw I need more guru's..

Lee, I just rang that sidings place you posted a while back... they've no grime or boxcar in stock...:cry...they did say they would be ordering more though, at some point...darn holdups..
Might go back to the tamiya stuff...

Phil

Phil, 'tis one of the reasons i gave up on Floquil, the stench aside, the good stuff is ALWAYS out of stock, think it comes via Canada, and they dont do one off orders, so its a pig to get hold of in the "ILM" jars.
Id go with Tamiya, and mix the colors, but thats just my pref buddy.

lee

I dunno, Lee, seems a shame to invest so much time and energy in the build up and correct donor kits and then dodge the finish, which ends up being 80% of selling the thing, IMO.

If you have access to the paint line that the original model makers say they used, why not give it a go? If anything, buy some of the stuff and spray it on some card stock before you give up and move on to something else.

You are right Kevin, it is the way to go, but, its soooo hard to get in any consistency in the UK and, ive had a lot of bad jars, congealed.
Id go with Floquil all day if i could get it easily, and, fresh paint, even with its nasty pong.

Hey its Phils baby, im just speaking my mind on the little pitfalls of Floquil on the UK, stench aside, its great to shoot, the grey i used on my ATST was like silk.

Lee

Tis a real shame you guys in the UK just cannot get the floquil RR colors off the shelf, with consistency. Here in NZ Its just readily available in my local Hobby shop, all colors, all as new bottles.
I found it great to use, but yeah, that darn smell. The primer is one of the finest & easiest Iv'e ever used, next to the Tamiya rattle cans that is!.
Stu:)

It shouldn't be hard to mix a base color from tamiya if you have the genuine article to match it to. Without a sample of grime in front of you though it's just gonna be trying to match this or that particular photograph. The base seems to me to be a bit more forgiving as far as a "perfect" match is concerned since it tends to look so different depending on the lighting. The individual panels though? Gonna be hard to match those as perfectly as the original paints. It always seems to pop when those are used. Just looks "right". I would say for the Falcon the bare minimum I'd want would be grime(to match), rust, reefer gray, boxcar red & I believe the other gray used was "primer". Since you're not using floquil for the base coat, you'll only need one bottle of each just for panels. If you can't get these I'll check my stuff and see if I have extras & if so I'd be happy to post them to you. Half a bottle of each will likely do the whole bird. As for the base color, I believe the studio miniature was actually painted in straight grime but it was decided somewhere along the line on the MR bird to do the 50/50 mix with reefer white to more closely resemble what's seen on screen. Under the bright lighting that the falcon was filmed and photographed under it tends to look considerably lighter.

The "rust" I was referring to that Dave's daughter matched was on his sand crawler. Gotta say she's got a great eye, it's a perfect match. Here's the thread. http://www.therpf.com/f11/my-r-cooper-sandcrawler-progress-71873/index4.html

Man, it sure is interesting learning about all the different paints and such but, every time I see a new post here I'm always hoping it's of new pics! :)

Okay, here's what I've got.

reefer grey: 3/4 bottle (dark grey panels)
rust: full bottle
primer: full bottle (lighter grey panels)
grimy black: 1/2 bottle
concrete: full bottle (light "tanish" panels)
yellow: full bottle

I had very little red left but testors model master "insignia red" looks to be pretty much spot on to the floquil red to my eye and I have 2 bottles of that I can send you as well if you like.

These are basically all the primary colors you'd need for the panels and should be more than enough to do the whole bird unless you messed up........a lot. Other than grime I can't think of any other floquil colors that were used on the falcon.

Chris

I am definitely in awe of your work, man. This is a beautiful machine, and my favorite SW vehicle. I hope to see some more soon!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back