32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 23

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 10

Incredible Phil, really incredible. This is one hell of a build, but wow, that engine deck, how can you bring yourself to paint it? :lol

lee

Ah yes, painting.....I'm a bit worried about that...hope after all this time I can do it justice..

Phil

Oh c'mon....Phil, you will NAIL this....how you thinking of displaying her buddy?
Always had visions of this bird mounted flat to a wall for some reason, like a centre piece......a big in yer face Hamburger.

lee

:lol thanks Lee, we'll see..As for display, just a stand of some sort I think. I don't really have the wall space to hang her up. I'd be scared it would fall off the wall :lol

Phil

I agree with all the above comments Phil, just outstanding! Looking forward to more updates.

Very sweet work!

The engine deck is awesome Phil ! Yoou said it was longer a while back (or shorter ? Longer I guess !) but it doesnt show ! The result looks perfect to my eye !

Guys,...it's time to have a go at making the fins, and after lookin through some stuff on the old hard drive found these....thanks to rebelscum for the first pic..

FalconFin2.jpg

As you can see, on the inside of this, it looks like a cut down jack from the ever useful 8 rad, so should be fairly easy to make. However, I had thought that all the fins were the same on both sides, but as usual that ain't the case..

See here..

falconfincrop1.jpg

This looks to me like another cut down kit part, it has a bit of angled detail and a tank of some sort. I'm thinking maybe some structural area...maybe inside the engine compartment of something, or part of the chassis maybe...that angled bit reminds me of something I've seen but I can't find it..

What do you guys think ?

Cheers

Phil

Last edited:

-the circular part at the top is from a 1/12 f1 (engine part)

-the vertical tube part is from the tamiya crocodile.

the 1/12 Ferrari 312 has no part that matches, in the photo is a 1/12 DFV part, which is the same part on the P34, JPS and others...it isnt an exact match but i can say that it is the perfect size

the bottom kit part is from the Croc, also not an exact match but really, really close

EngineVanes.jpg

Be careful, you're looking at pics of the MR Falcon.
The 1/12 DFV engine part is the right one, as for the extinguisher, it's not from the Churchill, it's from the 1/35 Tamiya Centurion.

Hey Julien, are you saying that the MR is not correct then ?...Trouble is I can't find a good pic of the actual studio model taken from the the side that has the jack. I was hoping the MR was right.. Do you know if there should be a jack there ?

Also, do you know what the rest of the part is with the extinguisher on it.? I can def see some angled metalwork and a few rivets...wotcha think ?

Thanks a lot as usual for all the help.

Phil

Hey Julien, are you saying that the MR is not correct then ?...Trouble is I can't find a good pic of the actual studio model taken from the the side that has the jack. I was hoping the MR was right.. Do you know if there should be a jack there ?

Also, do you know what the rest of the part is with the extinguisher on it.? I can def see some angled metalwork and a few rivets...wotcha think ?

Thanks a lot as usual for all the help.

Phil

Hey Phil,

Dont get me wrong the MR team did an awesome job and ID'ed a ton of parts for this model, but unfortunatly on the final model it looks like every parts was scratched (or 3D printed). Some parts were better reproduced than other but you can definitely say that the parts are not original when you put actual kit parts next to the MR Falcon.

The details of those fins are not really well done (but they reproduced the resin bubbles which were on some of the holes of the DFV parts on the original model ! :p), we found the small part next to the extinguisher (the kit, which is used in several place on the Falcon was obviously not found by the MR team), I won't say the name of the kit as I did not found it myself, it's up to the guy who found it if he wants ! I dont have this kit yet myself.

There's indeed a jack on the opposite side.

There are indeed a 2 rivets on the L strip, I'm not sure what part it is right now, but it sure looks like some structural parts 'maybe I would need to take a better at the Leopold or Karl). On the MR part, there's also a rivet on the middle of this L-strip, I cant find any evidence of it on my ref pics.

Keep up the good work Phil, you're making an awesome Falcon !

Welcome Mensaboy, and thanks for the engine deck map ! :)

Let me put it this way, the majority of parts were delivered to MR, but due to shrinkage the parts seems smaller or more blurry. They were not 3D printed. We also provided MR with casts parts or with the kit info needed if for some reason we did not have the parts. Then a new kit could be bought.
It's correct that some parts were not IDed when we were contracted therefore they had to be scratched. Some I found a few month later, (part mentioned below) after the project were finished unfortunately, but we had a deadline. There are actually still lots of parts yet to be IDed.

Hey Phil,

- unfortunatly on the final model it looks like every parts was scratched (or 3D printed). Some parts were better reproduced than other but you can definitely say that the parts are not original when you put actual kit parts next to the MR Falcon.

The details of those fins are not really well done (but they reproduced the resin bubbles which were on some of the holes of the DFV parts on the original model ! :p), we found the small part next to the extinguisher (the kit, which is used in several place on the Falcon was obviously not found by the MR team), I won't say the name of the kit as I did not found it myself, it's up to the guy who found it if he wants ! I dont have this kit yet myself.

Let me put it this way, the majority of parts were delivered to MR, but due to shrinkage the parts seems smaller or more blurry. They were not 3D printed. We also provided MR with casts parts or with the kit info needed if for some reason we did not have the parts. Then a new kit could be bought.
It's correct that some parts were not IDed when we were contracted therefore they had to be scratched. Some I found a few month later, (part mentioned below) after the project were finished unfortunately, but we had a deadline. There are actually still lots of parts yet to be IDed.

Hey Moe, thanks for the clarification, I was aware you (Frank and you) had most of the parts, but I thought they tried to reproduced the parts you gave them because the details on most of them are very different. But if you say they used castings of the parts that would make sense, I think I saw some pics of the master where all the parts were a tan color, so that was the castings, then they molded the whole thing again, so there's at least 2 generations.

Anyway you both guys have made a great job and have found parts that we havent found yet.

The MR Falcon still is the best ref you can have when you build a Falcon !

... unfortunately, but we had a deadline. There are actually still lots of parts yet to be IDed.

Still that MR Falcon turned out to be a thing of beauty.
Deadlines are a sad reality for any business. There's nothing like building for the fun of building without worrying about timelines, if that were at all possible.

Great job on your Falcon, Phil! It's taking shape beautifully.

Guys, an amendment to my post above with the fin pics...after looking closer at the kits, the jack on the pic is from the 222 Leichter not the 8 rad...:$

Cheers

Phil

Hey guys..another update..

I made a master for the spoilers, made 3 moulds, and cast 'em up..
The triangular bits are a plastic profile strip from the model shop, cut down and shaped. Only needed to make 26 of 'em...was getting tired and emotional by the end..:lol
spoliers1small.jpg

Connecting rods, just alu tube and styrene rod, with casts of the blocks from donated kit parts. Many many thanks to the guys who donated them..you know who you are (y)thumbsup
spoliers2small.jpg

Now with fins, F1 donated kit part at the top from...he knows who he is...thanks Mate (y)thumbsup
spoilers3small.jpg

And the other side with the 222/223 jack..
spoliers4small.jpg

This makes the engine deck complete, started the docking cones the other day, or are they escape pods ?..dunno, anyhoo, pics soon.

I can't thank you guys enough for the loans and donations of the kit parts, it would've been a lot more difficult without them. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Cheers all

Phil

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back