$30 Aliens motion detector

TheSt.LouisKid

Sr Member
I have gotten back to some of roots in this craft since I have been disappointed with all the recasting, browbeating to lower my prices to less than cost, and people who generally want to exploit me for their profit.

When I was younger I used to make props from junk I'd find. In this thread is the aliens motion tracker I made. I challenged myself to use common tools and resources so anybody here should be able to get similar results. While perusing a thrift store I found a 35mm handheld slide viewer. It's not the one used on the motion tracker in the film but that's okay because this was for fun. This prop isn't 100% accurate but again it's for fun.

It is made with sheet plastic and a slide viewer. The screen graphics were found online and printed onto a clear sheet at Staples. The keypad was made on bitmap(yes, I said bitmap. We are keeping this confined to tools commonly available). I rounded up and assembled/sewed the shoulder strap as well.

So if you are using being broke as en excuse then that excuse just evaporated.
Go build something!

If you like this posting then see my older post about a raygun made from thrift store stuff.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/ray-gun-thrift-store-odds-ends-finished-220301/

20150212_123607.jpg20150212_123715 (1).jpg20150212_123734.jpg20150212_124547.jpg20150212_124645.jpg20150212_124103.jpg

BRILLIANT, dude! My only gripe is that it looks too "new".

This kind of project is what this hobby is all about, imo. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Bro I know the feeling so well. It really is amazing what just a little ingenuity and very little money can achieve. Many people are amazed as some of the stuff I've created using less then $10 in most cases and using common household items from around the house to do everything else. I think people get intimidated mostly because they can't use their imagination enough to create something from nothing. In this world these days attention spans are so short, no one stops to consider just how many ways a simple item can be used. I grew up with next to nothing and had to make my own toys, so I can totally appreciate what it means for you to be able to turn around something like this and make it yourself. It came out beautiful. Keep it up and keep that brain matter day dreaming. Its what this hobby is all about!

Bro I know the feeling so well. It really is amazing what just a little ingenuity and very little money can achieve. Many people are amazed as some of the stuff I've created using less then $10 in most cases and using common household items from around the house to do everything else. I think people get intimidated mostly because they can't use their imagination enough to create something from nothing. In this world these days attention spans are so short, no one stops to consider just how many ways a simple item can be used. I grew up with next to nothing and had to make my own toys, so I can totally appreciate what it means for you to be able to turn around something like this and make it yourself. It came out beautiful. Keep it up and keep that brain matter day dreaming. Its what this hobby is all about!
Beautifully said sir....it gets no better than that

Very cool! Would like to have seen it step by step, before finished!

I do have pictures before completion. I don't typically post them because I have had scumbags post my work and say they made it or have used tricky wording to lead people to think they made it. I have had this happen and when people call me liar I produce one of several pictures I have from prior to completion to prove it. It's really sad that some people are so needy to feel important that they have to lie or mislead other people just so they can have attention or admiration but it happens. I began in the hobby and then it became my craft so in 37 years I have seen a lot of underhanded stuff.

I think you did exceptional well......I thought about 1 day getting a resin kit and hollowing it out to attempt something similar, it wouldn't be as good as yours , but seems to be fun for sure to try it later on !!!

I do have pictures before completion. I don't typically post them because I have had scumbags post my work and say they made it or have used tricky wording to lead people to think they made it. I have had this happen and when people call me liar I produce one of several pictures I have from prior to completion to prove it. It's really sad that some people are so needy to feel important that they have to lie or mislead other people just so they can have attention or admiration but it happens. I began in the hobby and then it became my craft so in 37 years I have seen a lot of underhanded stuff.

Well you made it look easy!

I thought about 1 day getting a resin kit and hollowing it out to attempt something similar, it wouldn't be as good as yours , but seems to be fun for sure to try it later on !!!
You learn by doing and over time you get better.
Or you can learn software and draw one in CAD for 3D printing. After you learn CAD you can get a job that will enable you to pay for anything you want from a 3D printer. ...any prop you want can potentially be yours. Chew on that for awhile.

You learn by doing and over time you get better.
Or you can learn software and draw one in CAD for 3D printing. After you learn CAD you can get a job that will enable you to pay for anything you want from a 3D printer. ...any prop you want can potentially be yours. Chew on that for awhile.
THAT WOULD BE NICE...LOL...I have no knowledge on anything like that at all...maybe in a few years I hope

Thank you. I hope this and the ray gun thread will perhaps inspire some imaginations to build or look at their local thrift stores to make something wonderful.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back