2001 Astronaut helmet

well I have a bit of an up date
It may be possible for me to get a copy off a screen used Helm.
If this happens it will speed up the pattern time on this project considerably .
heres hoping the helm gods smile on me.
keep you posted
MSL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr.predicta @ Feb 28 2007, 12:23 AM) [snapback]1428383[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

I too. :)

Thats great news.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Sep 2 2006, 06:53 PM) [snapback]1311867[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(temponaut @ Sep 2 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]1311765[/snapback]
Perhaps these photos of the walking, mechanical Astroman (with sparks.) will serve as a useful reference.
[/b]

Hmmm.... perhaps not. :lol

Nor will the "Twinch Squad" space suit help at all really.. they got the top-plan shape of the helmet wrong too (way too round).

Interesting thing about the movie 2001... WE may regard it highly, but the young pups who run the studio, do not think much of the film. Back in 2000 I was working for Space.com, and we were trying to find out what sort of anniversary event they had planned for the year 2001... a theatrical re-release of the film at the very least, we figured... but NO.. they had nothing at ALL planned for "that old movie nobody really cares about" . :confused

Ultimately they did have a screening in New York (probably other cities too) - on December 31st. :rolleyes

- k
[/b][/quote]

Actually they thought of it more highly than that. New remastered prints were struck with a digital soundtrack and these were not only screened at many theatre's but the new masters were also the basis for the DVD release. I saw it in London on the big screen (as apposed to TV) for the first time since 1984 and it was the most breathtaking screening I'd seen. It's one of those movies that has to fill your field of vision.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr.predicta @ Feb 27 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]1428383[/snapback]</div>
well I have a bit of an up date
It may be possible for me to get a copy off a screen used Helm.
If this happens it will speed up the pattern time on this project considerably .
keep you posted
MSL
[/b]

Whoa. :eek That's way cool. I'd love a replica of this helmet. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Funky Jedi @ Feb 28 2007, 02:14 AM) [snapback]1428462[/snapback]</div>
You mean...this could be a reality? :love
[/b]

yes thats what Im hoping
in fact we may be doing the entire suit someday
Right now I just want an accurate helm even if I only get to take measurements off it.
The real deal is always the best

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yodasan @ Sep 1 2006, 11:56 PM) [snapback]1311559[/snapback]</div>
Thanks for the pictures.

As for MR - sure, they could do the 2001 helmets just as well as they
have done the Star Wars ones. :rolleyes
[/b]

Yeah- and you might have one by 2010. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Luke Warmwater @ Mar 17 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]1442169[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yodasan @ Sep 1 2006, 11:56 PM) [snapback]1311559[/snapback]
Thanks for the pictures.

As for MR - sure, they could do the 2001 helmets just as well as they
have done the Star Wars ones. :rolleyes
[/b]

Yeah- and you might have one by 2010. :p
[/b][/quote]

Now lets not be overly optimistic...you can't rush quality you know. ;)

Count me in for sure. As to the ring at the base if we can get the specs i should have asscessibility to get some cnc milled. Not sure on the cost but its certainly doable.

Very cool indeed.

-Michael

Mike and Will; I have Will's two-piece vacu-form kit from ten years ago; just remodelled the house and found the thing I thought was long gone. I started the build back then, but basically had just cut the flashing off and did a little sanding.

If this (mostly) unmade kit will get this project going quicker, please PM me.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back