2001: A Space Odessey Space suit

gcs0713

Hello all! I have been looking for a cheap-ish 2001/2010 space suits from the Stanley Krubrick films. I would like some assistance from anybody who can help. I am looking for a red,green or silver suit (from the Clavius Base scene).

The first thing you have to do is define "cheap-ish". You've chosen one of the most expensive suits there are. The helmet alone will cost you 800-1,000. The suit will cost more than that. I suppose you could fudge on a lot of the details but I would be concerned that it simply will not look right.
Anyway, good luck on your journey. I'd be very interested to see what you come up with.

Like Funky says, there is not going to be any thing cheap about this, how bad do you want this?

Stanley Kubrick spared no expense to produce the suits for the film, if you want to recreate a masterpiece it will not be cheap or simple. If you do all of the work yourself that maybe the only way to control the cost. 48 years later it's still the bench mark by which all Film space suits are judged, good luck and I am hope you decide to accept the challenge and take us along for the ride.

Thank you, guys. I wouldn't mind building some stuff as I really do consider this a fantastic suit. If you have any information on materials used, please let me know.

Many have tried, many have failed; as others have said: define "cheap". This suit is a difficult one to achieve (back and front pack could be vacu-formed or simply take insulation blue foam and clad it with Sintra). Helmet is complicated (lots of pics on the net)...boots also. Good luck and God's speed:)

Awesome project. I always wanted a full suit too. But I don't nearly have enough skills or money to do it.

But I managed to scrape together enough cash once for a replica helmet..

I'm happy to take any measurements or photo any details you might want if you get started on this.. :)

Best of luck!

e218fffe26312ba0e0be5fc5baf1a454.jpg

b5d7549c5f9ea94e3040d51041a789b4.jpg

282080b4afdf68af038cf7373206e68c.jpg

Hi Zyote,

I would love to get the measurements for the entire helmet as i'm thinking about making myself one in the next few weeks. if it helps maybe a couple photos of the entire helmet with a ruler in the photos.

Thanks.

Hello Zyote,

Ever since 1969, I’m determined to make a replica 2001 EVA suit. Ha! I’m just getting around to that. I haven’t gotten into sewing or making a pattern for the suit yet. I’m working on 3D printing and finishing those parts first. I have 3D modeled the chest and back packs from whatever photos I can find. Of course, they’re not scaled 1:1, but they’re very good proportionally. And the arm/leg rings and other suit details as well. I’m working on the helmet too. It’s the most important part, seems to me. It’s going to have to be as nearly perfect as I can make it. I’d be very glad to have detailed measurements. Please? That would be best case for me, modeling the helmet. The one you have is a good one!

Thanks!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back